2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

49ers Jags will be a nice game. San Fran hasn't played there in almost two decades with the last meeting taking place in London, so I'm thankful this was scheduled later in the season so that we could see white against teal in Duval.

London was the last time they played where Jacksonville was technically the home team, with their last meeting in San Fran in 2017. The last time they played in Jacksonville, and the last time the Jags wore teal against the ‘9ers was in *drumroll* 2005.

NFL-referee-Larry-Nemmers-tosses-the-coi

1 hour ago, ARTnSocal said:

One last comment; Dean Spanos needs to sell the club to a wealthy new owner and move 

I'd just like to point out that all three of those words are redundant, wealthy more than the rest 🤣

It's where I sit.

12 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Two shades of blue+two shades of gray+red+white makes for a complete disaster design-wise.

With all the red accessories worn by the players nowadays, just dropping the gray would be a massive improvement. But, fwiw, not a big fan of red being used as prominently as it is with light blue/navy, and especially with this uniform set.

One possible fix would be to lean into the silver, but just one shade, preferably the lighter one. Dump the white pants and socks and save the mono-navy for a couple games a year. Add silver pants and wear primarily those or light blue (not navy) on the road. 

Obviously this makes too much sense for The Swoosh to consider it viable, but I think it could help them to look decent despite the abnormal design features they have. 

2 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Ravens really need to retire the black pants and go with the purple with w/b/w stripe full time. I know they wear purple jerseys at home but the pants tie in so much better to the white and black uniforms.

I'm a huge fan of custom fonts. I think it allows teams to be more expressive in the identity they want to have. Of course the block looks traditional and historic, which makes sense for the Cowboys, Raiders, Packers, Chiefs, who all decided their "look" is tradition.

The Ravens font is not perfect. The Eagles font is not perfect. But they've become an unmistakable part of the team's identity, and for that reason I like them. They have character, and it's not for pointless reasons. They're not a gimmick, and stay consistent.

The Colts nailed it with the serifs. The Browns blend tradition with modernity. The Falcons font that I felt was too gimmicky at first, fits the brand they're going for, and it's growing on me (although I wish the top of the 1 was a point a la Ravens and not a rectangle).

That's not to say there can't be bad fonts out there. Tampa's alarm clock was terrible. I'm just not a fan of the Patriots font. Steelers italics is a bad look. (Chargers italic looks great). The Jets pseudo-block isn't something I love, but It's livable. The new Bengals font needs more outline weight.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 11/17/2021 at 2:15 PM, tBBP said:

I'm glad they're doing this, but this image also illustrates [just about] everything that's wrong with this uniform setup. Moment of transparency: I've been trying my best to find some kind of way to like and embrace this uniform and...it just ain't happening.

To start with:

- Yes, in this guise we get [what are supposed to be] Tennessee's two primary colors: navy and light blue. (I don't know how many of you know this, but a long time ago the local Nashville media gave the team the nickname "The Two-tone Blue".)  If those two colors were allowed to breathe on their own, this thing would be far more cohesive. EXCEPT...

- The entire thing is marred by the two-tone gray shoulder-swords. That's where things get disjointed. If not for those little.light blue pit stains, the light blue pants would look even more out of place than they do already...the only reason they halfway fit is because (for most of us) our brains tell us that light blue was at one time their predominant color, but putting that piece of info to the side, if this were a brand new team, one would think that, based on the way they usually wear their uniforms, their primary colors were in fact navy and gray, with red trim. Which leads me to...

- The uptick in red accessories many of the players have been wearing adds even more to the hodgepodge that this look is. Other than the bit of red in the helmet logo, the only other visible hint of red at all on these uniforms is the Nike swoosh--and I'm sure we all know that was specific and on purpose. Getting back to the helmet...

- I still lament the switch to navy helmet--but I don't see them ever going back to white helmets anymore except in the case of a throwback game. That said, navy/navy/columbia/navy certainly isn't a bad look at all; in fact, I think it looks pretty good. BUT...the out-of place gray facemask and even more out-of place silver-and-white helmet stripe just kill it for me. At least if they felt to do that, they should have made the stripe two-tone gray like the shoulder swords and whatever they call those little supposed-to-be-sheath things on the pants. As it is, the helmet stripe literally matches nothing else.

(I'm not even going to comment on the numbers, except to simply say this: 👎)

Now, all that said, I've resigned myself to the fact that, unless they currently have a rebrand/refresh in the works (which part of me thinks they just might), these things are gonna be with us for a while longer, especially due to the team's current run of success.  IF they somehow win or even make it to the Super Bowl with these, that'll be all the reason they need to keep them around. Ehh... 🤷‍♂️

This is a great analysis on the many issues and inconsistencies with the Titans’ most recent rebrand.

I really think the biggest culprit is the inclusion of gray like you said, it really just muddles up everything in what should be an otherwise beautiful color scheme of navy & light blue (one of my personal favorite color schemes).

I don’t mind the navy helmet in a vacuum, but going with a light blue helmet would have been so much better. I actually really like the number font, too. It’s just disappointing more than anything how much potential this redesign wasted.

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I'm a huge fan of custom fonts. I think it allows teams to be more expressive in the identity they want to have. Of course the block looks traditional and historic, which makes sense for the Cowboys, Raiders, Packers, Chiefs, who all decided their "look" is tradition.

The Ravens font is not perfect. The Eagles font is not perfect. But they've become an unmistakable part of the team's identity, and for that reason I like them. They have character, and it's not for pointless reasons. They're not a gimmick, and stay consistent.

The Colts nailed it with the serifs. The Browns blend tradition with modernity. The Falcons font that I felt was too gimmicky at first, fits the brand they're going for, and it's growing on me (although I wish the top of the 1 was a point a la Ravens and not a rectangle).

That's not to say there can't be bad fonts out there. Tampa's alarm clock was terrible. I'm just not a fan of the Patriots font. Steelers italics is a bad look. (Chargers italic looks great). The Jets pseudo-block isn't something I love, but It's livable. The new Bengals font needs more outline weight.

I couldn’t have worded this better myself. I almost always prefer a custom number font to regular block, the exceptions you listed notwithstanding.

I’ve never been a fan of the Ravens or the Eagles number fonts, but the Ravens’ font in particular has grown on me slightly. As @leopard88 said, it’s such an ingrained part of their identity at this point. I even think I’d like the Eagles font more without all of the shadows, like it used to be:

s81M6Oh.jpg

Honestly what tends to bother me the most, especially in the Philly area, are the fake fonts attempting to match the real one, THAT is ugly. I’ve definitely grown on the main font knowing how awful the replication attempts are. Especially the text on the nameplates.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

59 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Atlanta throwing back to the 90s, do not miss these uniforms at all

FEhVMrzX0AAy4me?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Feel like there's great thread potential in listing NFL players who are wearing the colors of (one of their chief) rival college schools. In this case, a Florida player wearing University of Georgia colors (with his NFL team being in Georgia being just an added bonus here). As much as I actually like black/red/white in a vacuum - and in that order of priority - it's always going to hurt me a bit seeing Kyle Pitts wearing those colors.

Just on the topic of those associated with the University of Florida, you can add Steve Spurrier coaching Washington along with guys like Danny Wuerffel playing for them as well. 

spacer.png

I personally prefer the 2L2Q look myself-- though that's probably more due to the fact that that's really when both ATL and the Falcons came of age (as short-lived as it was, in the Falcons' case). I'd love to see them throwback to those just for that reason. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Wow, ok. First repeat combo of the regular season, leaving the tally at 11 total. Still prefer black socks, though like the Bills game, this will be a beaut.

cool, so a team-endorsed image showcasing biker shorts and a too-short top.  At least they have standards and didn’t show the model in an oversized slob undershirt 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Atlanta throwing back to the 90s, do not miss these uniforms at all

FEhVMrzX0AAy4me?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Actually, I think these are a mix of the '66-'70 unis with '90-'02 helmet (in matte).   The strictly '90s edition or "Back in Black" era has silver pants which I'd like to see them bring back.  Personally,  I prefer the reds of '89 and older but these are pretty solid as well.  

Archived