2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

If Urban Meyer goes “muh mental health”, wouldn’t this be the 3rd job he’s departed due to “health”? He would totally pull a scummy move like that too instead of taking responsibility for his actions. 

Urban should have read the tea leaves and pulled that card a month ago. He seemed to despise everything about Jacksonville’s organization from the start. He’s got to be sick over wasting this year and completely trashing his reputation for a Jags job that has now cost him a shot at coaching Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, Miami, LSU, or even Florida again.

Oh well! Couldn’t have happened to a bigger :censored:.

PJU85JF.png

Is he going to get paid?  Gods I hope not.

Major college sports are full of so many complete scumbags - I disappoints me that so many people (including some on this forum) worship these teams and their coaches, who are nothing but egomaniacal bullies who are accountable to nobody but themselves and run roughshod over (in some cases) school administrations and even state governments, while treating "student athletes" like cattle.

Screw them all.  Screw NCAA football, screw NCAA basketball, screw Urban Meyer, and screw anyone and everyone that he cares about and that cares about him.  And, just since I'm on a roll, screw Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb, and Ben Simmons, and my neighbor who is a "work from home" DJ and blasts his online sets all night long.   And if you're not down with that?  Screw you too.

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They'll pay him something. Heck there are people who have done worse thing to athletes that are still paid by schools years after the fact. Hiring Meyer never made sense. Even if you made him the GM it wasn't going to work. He needs to control everything that's going on and that will never happen in the NFL unless he also owned a team. We only need to look at Jerry Jones to see how bad meddling owners can hold teams back. 

28 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Jacksonville is a team so rife with failure that's it's all but sewn into the team's identity. They should've seen this coming, the lack of talent and then the three-ring circus during the season meant that Urban Meyer was doomed to fail from the get-go.

Sometimes I wonder if Khan really wants to move to London and he's just waiting for the rest of the NFL to allow it. That's probably why he almost bought Wembley, until the fans asked the FA why rebuild a stadium and then give it away to a private citizen, which meant they'd have to rent the building they used to own. 

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

Let me repeat this once again...NFL teams, PLEASE STOP HIRING COLLEGE HEAD COACHES TO BE YOUR HEAD COACH.  

It almost NEVER works out, and usually has disastrous results.

Pete Carrol's the only coach that I can remember that this has worked with. But he also coached in the NFL prior to taking the USC job.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Pete Carrol's the only coach that I can remember that this has worked with. But he also coached in the NFL prior to taking the USC job.

Jimmy Johnson worked out pretty well, as did Dick Vermeil (albeit both before the salary cap era.)

Pete Carrol is the only one I can think of in the "modern" era (the cap era), but as you said, he had previous experience.

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

Jimmy Johnson worked out pretty well, as did Dick Vermeil (albeit both before the salary cap era.)

Pete Carrol is the only one I can think of in the "modern" era (the cap era), but as you said, he had previous experience.

Yes, I was thinking modern era. Jimmy and Vermeil being able to build teams quicker through lack of a salary cap, and a pretty competitive division helped them out too. Not being able to stock up on the type of players in year one that can run your playbook forces coaches to get more creative. And that's not something the coaches at schools like Florida, Texas A&M and Ohio State have had to deal with when a player gets hurt. You just turn to the next 4 or 5 star and send them in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Barry Switzer also was "successful", but that's largely subjective because he won with basically Jimmy Johnson's team without Jimmy. If Jerry could've swallowed his ego and pride; Barry would've never been there.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

6 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Urban Meyer giving Petrino a run for his money for worst NFL coaching tenure ever. :censored:, he might actually have it won. 

At least Meyer didn't break his neck riding around with the assistant SID? Yeah, this is less skeevy that Petrino, only because it wasn't him leaving notes in the players lockers after Monday Night football.  Granted, they should have suspended him for the nonsense at his restaurant earlier this year instead of waving it away. Maybe he's the one starting rumors that Ryan Day would take the Bears job next year. At least Day knows how to delegate, but that just doesn't look like a job you trust to someone with little or no NFL experience, even if he's worked with your starting QB of the future.  He's had 2 years as a QB coach in the NFL and no time as the OC. 

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They'll go after Josh McDaniels, and he'll except only to back out a few hours later.  

Is McDaniels even a true candidate anymore, is he just the name people pull out of a hat because he could have been the Jets coach? I remember him being touted for the Browns job, and I was like, "Nope! Don't need him quitting halfway through a season because we won't make the playoffs". 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm telling you - Doug Pederson will be their next coach, with Duce Staley as OC.  Quote this and praise me when the hires are official in January.

• Like 1

To circle back around to the list of college head coaches, there's a guy out in the desert that's doing pretty well too so far: Kliff Kingsbury. And as long as guys like that have some success, there will always be an eye out for the next hot successful college head coach.

Oh, and then there's the ultimate story of a college coach jumping to the NFL--at first it was was total failure (but then look what he had to work with), yet four years later dude dang near found himself in the Super Bowl: John McKay. (And if ever there were an abrasive personality type, that guy was it.)

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just now, tBBP said:

To circle back around to the list of college head coaches, there's a guy out in the desert that's doing pretty well too so far: Kliff Kingsbury. And as long as guys like that have some success, there will always be an eye out for the next hot successful college head coach.

Oh, and then there's the ultimate story of a college coach jumping to the NFL--at first it was was total failure (but then look what he had to work with), yet four years later dude dang near found himself in the Super Bowl: John McKay. (And if ever there were an abrasive personality type, that guy was it.)

That personality was for the cameras though, he wasn't a straight up pain in the backside like Meyer was. Kingsbury has had the biggest glow up in the history of football. He went from a below .500 Texas Tech team to possibly the top seed in the NFC this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

My guess is that he'll get paid something, but I'm sure Khan's lawyers are going to fight tooth and nail to say Meyer was fired for cause.  I imagine a settlement of some kind will be reached.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That "I'm the head ball coach" quote Lambo cited was just the most perfect, believable, and telling thing he could say about Meyer. After all those years of being the college big shot, he just couldn't process the difference between his old jobs and his current one. In college, the successful head football coach can be a wrathful god-king who commands fealty from his charges, fully dependent on staying in the coach's good graces to maintain their scholarships and their only shot at anything. This is why Dabo Swinney now has a public pants-pissing every week at the mere suggestion of college football players being able to exert minor control over where they play or receiving above-the-table compensation of some variety.

In the NFL, the head ball coach - even a winning one - is middle management. Your players are employees, same as you, and they're also adults with things like contracts and legal representation. You are not the highest-paid state employee anymore, and your boss is not some athletic director who cowers at the thought of upsetting you enough to make you leave for Georgia, but an actual billionaire and businessman who could buy and sell you several times over. It is a different game off the field even more than on it, and the power-tripping zealots who think they "earned" $300,000 for their 58-3 win over a McNeese State team that the athletic department paid $400,000 to come to town can't fathom it. I am always here for college coaches effing around and finding out what the true free market and actual expectations entail.

I hope Urban finds peace the best way he knows how - sitting on a pile of cash in his den while pounding it raw to his DVD of "The Junction Boys."

• Like 9
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Byron Leftwich could be a curveball as a possible HC for the Jaguars too.

Leftwhich is a candidate I like, and him going to Jacksonville would be an interesting homecoming, but there's speculation that he may be the heir apparent to Arians and why would he want to depart a really good situation in Tampa to go to the dumpster fire that is Jacksonville?  We'll see.  He'd be a great fit there, though.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 minute ago, CS85 said:

Leftwhich is a candidate I like, and him going to Jacksonville would be an interesting homecoming, but there's speculation that he may be the heir apparent to Arians and why would he want to depart a really good situation in Tampa to go to the dumpster fire that is Jacksonville?  We'll see.  He'd be a great fit there, though.

Yeah, I agree with him being the possible heir to Bruce Arians.  If anything, the threat of Leftwich leaving could cause the Bucs to name him the heir when the time comes (probably sooner than later since Bruce is 69 years old.)