MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

52 minutes ago, GFB said:

That’s not true in the least. Bright green/blue and purple/black have plenty of contrast. The problem is that Austin’s primary kits are half green and half black. 

Personally, I would live with the rare nights like tonight where both teams have to wear their clash kits than having even more MLS teams with bland white/light grey clash kits.

Really opposed to this idea. The home team should never have to wear a secondary because a team can’t design an effective one on their own. Remember, the goal isn’t to contrast your own kit it’s to contrast other kits that may clash with your primary. 

This purple was ALWAYS a bad choice for Seattle because Portland and Austin both also wear green but their green is darker and clashes with purple. So that leaves an all green matchup with a clash or a dark colors matchup with clash.

Seattle could go with tons of colors as they’ve shown in the past but they really should be light IMO. 

But of course, with as many MLS teams as we have now, a third is necessary to avoid these scenarios.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

All day I dream about some new uniform supplier.

Careful what you wish dream for... 

*looks at NBA and MLB*

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, JTernup said:

Really opposed to this idea. The home team should never have to wear a secondary because a team can’t design an effective one on their own. Remember, the goal isn’t to contrast your own kit it’s to contrast other kits that may clash with your primary. 

This purple was ALWAYS a bad choice for Seattle because Portland and Austin both also wear green but their green is darker and clashes with purple. So that leaves an all green matchup with a clash or a dark colors matchup with clash.

Seattle could go with tons of colors as they’ve shown in the past but they really should be light IMO. 

But of course, with as many MLS teams as we have now, a third is necessary to avoid these scenarios.

Seattle has worn dark clash kits going back a decade: purple/black, black/pink, black/lime green, black/green/blue and it’s never been a real issue until now.  Also, MLS is 30+ teams, which is more to juggle than the Premier League or Bundesliga where you’re only at 20.

Look, I agree that the home team should never have to wear clash, but unless Adidas starts allowing every team a third shirt, you’re going to run into the odd game every now and then where you have to compromise a little.

43 minutes ago, GFB said:

Seattle has worn dark clash kits going back a decade: purple/black, black/pink, black/lime green, black/green/blue and it’s never been a real issue until now.  Also, MLS is 30+ teams, which is more to juggle than the Premier League or Bundesliga where you’re only at 20.

Look, I agree that the home team should never have to wear clash, but unless Adidas starts allowing every team a third shirt, you’re going to run into the odd game every now and then where you have to compromise a little.

But until relatively recently, Seattle often had a white shirt they could throw in the mix. Or at least they did for a few years. They also had the highlighter blue and yellow kits too, which were great for contrast.

Their insistence on dark clash -- without a white shirt -- feels more recent to me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

But until relatively recently, Seattle often had a white shirt they could throw in the mix. Or at least they did for a few years. They also had the highlighter blue and yellow kits too, which were great for contrast.

Their insistence on dark clash -- without a white shirt -- feels more recent to me.

Yep, specifically their last two away kit cycles with the Nightfall secondaries and now their Hendrix kits. Matchups like these shouldn’t happen, but have had to because of the Sounders not having a proper light kit in the last few years:

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

All of those matchups would’ve been made better by the home team (Portland or Austin) changing to white, but that really shouldn’t have to happen to accommodate Seattle. Frankly the Sounders should have to trot out in plain white teamwear if it means the home teams can wear their primary kits without fear of a clash. If/when third kits are allowed again, this won’t really be an issue. Until then, though, the Sounders really need to have a white or light-colored secondary instead of dark.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

But... If Seattle went back to white on the road, feel like that wouldn’t be great against the yellow or light-blue teams, either.

Last night wasn’t as bad as I would have expected, but it would have been even better if Seattle had white change shorts for the home shirt. Might get away with that against Portland too. At least til they can get thirds again.

(Side note, Austin’s shirt green is such a more vibrant and pleasant shade than Seattle’s.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The thing is, Seattle could almost make their dark sets work, like if they had pink shorts with nightfall and went more in on orange (shorts? back?) with the Hendrix kit. Whoever is designing their kits is limiting them unnecessarily.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Careful what you wish dream for... 

*looks at NBA and MLB*

I'd be happy with multiple suppliers instead of just one for the whole league. I know it's nice for the big leagues to have one supplier, but it also leads to years when the MLS teams get little more than glorified teamwear ,usually World Cup or Euros years (see 2020's uniform template), and training gear in one color that is only differentiated by the team logo and uniform sponsors. Columbus's new uniform for next year is supposed to be a bespoke design not from adidas, but another firm. That's one way to make these work better for the individual teams but I'd love to see LA Galaxy wearing Nike again and maybe Puma outfitting New England or Colorado. And this isn't on adidas, but maybe have referee uniforms in yellow, black, red and blue instead of limiting those options. 

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The thing is, Seattle could almost make their dark sets work, like if they had pink shorts with nightfall and went more in on orange (shorts? back?) with the Hendrix kit. Whoever is designing their kits is limiting them unnecessarily.

The league should've looked at these and decided there needed to be a change in colors for Seattle's alternate before the season even started. Or tell Austin, "You're wearing white tonight". 

spacer.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The league should've looked at these and decided there needed to be a change in colors for Seattle's alternate before the season even started. Or tell Austin, "You're wearing white tonight". 

spacer.png

I definitely agree with the first part of the quoted section. As for the bolded, it should never have to get to that point IMO. If the opposition doesn’t have a kit that provides sufficient contrast, then they can go buy off the shelf teamwear to wear for a game. Adidas/MLS should definitely either allow third kits for everybody, or make sure during the design process that each team’s secondary kit is practical for clash purposes. Unless and until either of those things happen, a team like Seattle should have to go find something (even if it’s just white shorts and socks) that they can wear if they need another option to provide sufficient contrast.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I definitely agree with the first part of the quoted section. As for the bolded, it should never have to get to that point IMO. If the opposition doesn’t have a kit that provides sufficient contrast, then they can go buy off the shelf teamwear to wear for a game. Adidas/MLS should definitely either allow third kits for everybody, or make sure during the design process that each team’s secondary kit is practical for clash purposes. Unless and until either of those things happen, a team like Seattle should have to go find something (even if it’s just white shorts and socks) that they can wear if they need another option to provide sufficient contrast.

To be fair, adidas should be doing third kits for everyone, not just whomever sells a set amount of shirts each year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

why does every single team wear the same number font it looks so bad

It's my understanding that is normal in the sport. All teams in a league have the same number font. When I see Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga and Liga MX games on TV that's also been the case.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Does Columbus wear their yellow shorts with their black shirt?

The yellow shorts look great on the road and the Crew are better with more yellow.

It's hilarious to me that they killed the iconic all-yellow kit in favor of their primary being all-black, then wear white/yellow/yellow at home often.

Minnesota's wearing blue at home again today and I'm annoyed by that.  WING.  AT.  HOME.  Now get off my lawn.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

8 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

It's my understanding that is normal in the sport. All teams in a league have the same number font. When I see Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga and Liga MX games on TV that's also been the case.

Premier League: Standard font

Ligue 1: Standard Font

La Liga: Standard Font

Serie A: Standard font

Bundesliga: Per Team

MLS: Standard

USL-C/1/2: Standard

Liga MS: Depends on team

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, Digby said:

spacer.png

just make this the secondary kit and call it a day!

Bump that--make it the primary! I mean, why the heck not???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Bump that--make it the primary! I mean, why the heck not???

Because the Revs have been navy shirts since day one and it works for them. But they have the opportunity to have a secondary that fits with the team brand but doesn’t feel like a snoozer color swap. Win win.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived