MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Digby said:

I like actual pattern designs, but I’ve always hated repeating embossed logos like that. A trend that’s coming back in soccer design! Too bad for me, I guess. Otherwise it does have a nice throwback vibe to Italian or English soccer in the early 90s.

I agree with you. The embossing works on kits that have less going on. But this one already had so much character without it. It feels like a gimmick. And repeating the ligature over and over again, including in a spot where it overlaps with the badge, is novelty gone too far. 

It doesn't ruin the kit, which is otherwise beautiful, but it's certainly unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Every team uses the Adidas mountain logo, right? Could teams opt to use the flower logo? That would look way nicer on the NYCFC shirt.

Sporting tried to use the flower logo on their first argyle kit back in 2013, but Adidas shot it down.

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I prefer both of their previous primaries because of the emphasis on navy and orange, but this new version is pretty classy in it of itself. I personally would’ve loved to have seen some orange piping on the white collar and cuffs.

Club style guideline is to separate orange from the other colors with navy.  Orange never touches sky blue, orange never touches white. Not that they haven’t violated that on the rare occasion, but never that boldly. 

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The more I look at that NYCFC shirt, the more I really like it. It's embossed and everything, but done in a way that's super tasteful -- and it helps that the shirt isn't black so the embossing actually shows up.

What do you think @Gothamite?

nice of you to ask. ;) 

on the whole, I really like it.  I was a big fan of the last shirt, so this one was almost guaranteed to disappoint me, but it’s pretty solid.

I like keeping the flag.  I like expanding the use of the monogram (c’mon, guys. Replace the full badge with it just once and you’ll never go back!).  I like the texture the stripes give it. 

Honestly, the only negative I see is the white accents.  I vastly prefer navy.  Two shades of blue, a little orange, limit white to the shorts. 

Speaking of which, I really hope sky blue shorts aren’t a thing. I want white or navy shorts, and always with sky blue socks.  But on that count I am sure to be disappointed. 😁

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Honestly, the only negative I see is the white accents.  I vastly prefer navy.  Two shades of blue, a little orange, limit white to the shorts. 

Speaking of which, I really hope sky blue shorts aren’t a thing. I want white or navy shorts, and always with sky blue socks.  But on that count I am sure to be disappointed. 😁

I prefer the dark blue over white too, because 1) I just like it better 2) it incorporates the dark blue of NYC's flag and 3) it is not a clone of Manchester City. On the other hand, KC sorta laid claim to light blue/dark blue first, and the sky blue/white shorts is unique to the league-- or was, until NYC and KC started swapping. In the end I will take white trim/shorts 10 out of 10 times over the mono-sky blue look, which I hate. But I would love to see a primary with a lot more dark blue and orange. Like the hypnokit. In the end I really dug that one. 

8 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

I am the only who's not a huge fan of the Galaxy kit?

I like it, and I like the throwback quality it has, but something about the white on it just throws it off balance for me. Still figuring it out.

Clearly not. If you were they wouldn't have made it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Cincy primary now official:

spacer.png
This is fine, and the alternating pinstripes are a nice enough design element. Purely aesthetically I’d say this is an upgrade over the primary kit they had last year. I just really don’t like them emphasizing navy over royal and orange. I didn’t like how prominently the navy featured in last year’s primary, and I dislike even more the navy being featured as the base color on this new version, while royal and orange are limited to relatively small accent colors. They have a gorgeous and unique color scheme in the royal and orange, and yet they’ve failed to properly showcase it IMO. Frankly I’d say their first primary was their most successful because of the clear emphasis on royal and orange, despite it being a miTeam design with that awkward stripe pattern. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Cincy primary now official:

spacer.png
This is fine, and the alternating pinstripes are a nice enough design element. Purely aesthetically I’d say this is an upgrade over the primary kit they had last year. I just really don’t like them emphasizing navy over royal and orange. I didn’t like how prominently the navy featured in last year’s primary, and I dislike even more the navy being featured as the base color on this new version, while royal and orange are limited to relatively small accent colors. They have a gorgeous and unique color scheme in the royal and orange, and yet they’ve failed to properly showcase it IMO. Frankly I’d say their first primary was their most successful because of the clear emphasis on royal and orange, despite it being a miTeam design with that awkward stripe pattern. 

Well said. It is still a nice looking kit. But I would have liked to see what this looks like with the royal and navy reversed. 

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

In other news, Jozy Altidore appears to have leaked part of the new TFC primary shirt:

spacer.png

This looks really promising IMO. The pattern isn’t the most creative or anything, but I like the heavy use of that dark grey.

Interesting. I like when Toronto uses the grey accents.

Archived