2021-22 NHL Regular Season

CS85

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The expansion Seattle Kraken are doing better than the defending Eastern Conference Champions.

FGYDSRFWUAEk50v?format=png

I don’t see the Lightning on this list. 

I think you mean western conference champs 😁

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The expansion Seattle Kraken are doing better than the defending Eastern Conference Champions.

FGYDSRFWUAEk50v?format=png

What a fall from grace. You know that you are in dire straits when you are being beaten by a first year expansion team.

rAUPGPZ.png

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

It's got you both confused considering there were no conferences last year.

Well they played in the non-conferenced North Division, but they won the Western Conference championship trophy, the Clarence Campbell trophy…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well they played in the non-conferenced North Division, but they won the Western Conference championship trophy, the Clarence Campbell trophy…

The CC bowl's been awarded for a few  different things before. It used to go to the Campbell Conference regular season champion, for example. Last year it was awarded to one of the Semifinal winners.

The Kraken are exceeding expectations, that is to say they're fine and not abysmal.  There's problems. 

The good:

• They've got some good pieces.  McCann and Geekie are guys I think could be part of something interesting in coming years; Eberle, Schwartz, and Gourde are roster staples.  Tanev is the informal mascot.  Oleksiak is big and mean.
  • Their uniforms are just, ugh, so damned good.  Chef's friggin' kiss.
  • The CPA environment is awesome.  Tossing the plush fish, boat goal horn, Pike's Place ice girls, Nirvana goal song, and so on.  It's impressive.
  • The fans are buying in.  Their attendance has been stellar.

The bad:

• They're mercurial as hell, namely due to wobbly defense and woeful streaks of abhorrent goaltending from Grubaeur.  He's still young-ish, but his contract is terrible, and there are a lot of games that are over in the first two periods because 31 between the pipes can't stop a damned thing.  When the defense and goaltending has it together, the offense seems to feed off of that, but when you're down 3 or 4 goals right away, everybody just wants to go home.
  • The marketing for the Kraken has been rather underwhelming in the Seattle area.  I'm obviously nowhere near Seattle to validate what their newspaper is opining, but if the team continues to be middling-to-bad in these first raw years, the attendance will probably begin to mirror it.  The team needs to rally around a few faces with confidence and integrate more into the sports scene.  It's not like there's a lot to compete with, especially with the Seahawks trending down.
  • I'm not quite sold on Hakstol.  I phased out a lot of the warnings from Flyers people and soforth and from an observation as a leader, I kind of like Hakstol's style.  Low-key, authoritative, and professional without being cold.  From a gamesmanship perspective, very mixed bag.  The Kraken's trademark thus far has been slow starts, hand-in-hand with garbage goaltending.  Hakstol is saying a lot of the right things, but on the ice it's not consistent at all.  I think it's not merely Hakstol, but he has his part to play.

I'm hoping they make a couple moves to add to their sparse farm and maybe stir the roster up a bit.  Nothing urgent, though.  It's chill.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 12/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, CS85 said:

I'm hoping they make a couple moves to add to their sparse farm and maybe stir the roster up a bit.  Nothing urgent, though.  It's chill.

One of the problems I had with their expansion draft strategy was that they didn't take many guys going into the last year of their deals, so they aren't going to be working with many big trade chips going into the deadline. Vegas clearly went into their first season with plans to flip guys like Neal & Perron for picks at the deadline, but had to adjust their strategy once they started winning.

Giordano is probably their best asset, but who knows how they feel about the optics of trading their inaugural captain before the end of their first season. Beyond that Jarnkrok, Johansson, and Sheahan are the only pending UFAs.

The fact that they basically punted away their Columbus selection instead of taking Domi is even more baffling. He easily could've been flipped for a 1st rounder.

43 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

One of the problems I had with their expansion draft strategy was that they didn't take many guys going into the last year of their deals, so they aren't going to be working with many big trade chips going into the deadline. Vegas clearly went into their first season with plans to flip guys like Neal & Perron for picks at the deadline, but had to adjust their strategy once they started winning.

Giordano is probably their best asset, but who knows how they feel about the optics of trading their inaugural captain before the end of their first season. Beyond that Jarnkrok, Johansson, and Sheahan are the only pending UFAs.

The fact that they basically punted away their Columbus selection instead of taking Domi is even more baffling. He easily could've been flipped for a 1st rounder.

I'm not applauding how Francis handled the expansion draft or subsequent moves by any means, but I'm also very happy to be patient and positive while this team comes together over the years.  Trading Giordano I don't think would be as bad a look as you think.  Captain aside, if the Kraken are still streaky/meh by the deadline and Giordano is sent to a cup contender, I feel like that would be a good look on the whole, as it shows the franchise is willing to do right by revered veterans.  Maybe that's a bit optimistic, but that's what I'm aiming for these days.

In other news, the Carolina Hurricanes are literally a cesspool of COVID-19, and can't field an active lineup, so MN/CAR is canceled.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 hours ago, CS85 said:

the Carolina Hurricanes are literally a cesspool of COVID-19

Sorry, Carolina Hurricanes, only nurses are allowed to choreograph dances about COVID-19

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This only makes sense if you spread everybody out.  Good luck enforcing that.

twitter

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

This only makes sense if you spread everybody out.  Good luck enforcing that.

Wasn't a problem before venues opened back up to full capacity. I assume the ticket providers all have algorithms that specified which seats to sell. As someone who likes going to live sporting events but hates being near other humans, I thought it was kind of nice. But those teams are gonna take a big hit having to refund so many tickets so quickly... at least early 2021 meant not overselling to start with.

I watched the last 5 minutes of the Coyotes-Rangers game today, just in time to see them blow their lead.

I legitimately feel really bad for everyone in that organization. Not sorry, or pitiful, or anything like that. I just feel so bad that they have to be the embarrassment of this league. Seeing them blow the lead in front of an arena that was 2/3 empty and full of fans of a team across the f***ing country made me feel so legitimately bad for the players on the ice.

Archived