Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

The new Commanders look is so collegiate, and especially evocative of the millions of recent armed forces football uniforms. Maybe Snyder's trying to appeal to the college-fan market that has different expectations and priorities of athletes than pro teams do. 

I don't think that will work, but maybe that's the logic.

They're going to make a killing on resdesigned uniforms in 2027.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The latest quip from my homeboy down in Richmond VA, from what he's hearing around his parts:

"They went from being the R****ins to the ones that killed them."

I can't think of any recent rebranding--or any at all, save for the quick-killed 49er logo fiasco--that's been met with anywhere near as much immediate public backlash as this one--and from their own fans, no less... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 15

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

18 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Edmonton Eskimos had the same problem. They rebranded into the Edmonton Elks in half the time, did it better than the Washington Commanders, and on a fraction of the budget. 

I think the Rams & Commanders are evidence that spending too much time on a rebrand just leads to overthinking and convoluted designs.

The Guardians & Elks didn't spend multiple years hyping up their rebrands or wearing placeholder uniforms. They just released the new identities with relatively minimal fanfare.

Washington was never going to come up with a name that made everyone happy, but they could have at least kept the uniforms traditional. Then in 5 years, once people have adjusted to the name, they could explore more drastic changes.

1 hour ago, Bill0813 said:

Pollin's wife favored it out of the 5 choices, the other's being Dragons, Express, Stallions, and Sea Dogs.  Now we get the Commanders' uniform mess because of the owner's wife.

Boy, the NBA really wanted a team called the Dragons in the '90s/'00s. The Raptors, Grizzlies, and Bobcats almost went with it, and the Nets nearly rebranded as the New Jersey Swamp Dragons.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The new Commanders look is so collegiate, and especially evocative of the millions of recent armed forces football uniforms. Maybe Snyder's trying to appeal to the college-fan market that has different expectations and priorities of athletes than pro teams do. 

I don't think that will work, but maybe that's the logic.

That would almost make sense if the Comrades were in a market where college football is a big deal, but they're not. The only "big time" college football teams reasonably within the market are Virginia, VT, and Maryland and calling Virginia and Maryland "big time" programs is really stretching it. If chasing college football fans was part of his reasoning, Mr. Danny is even dumber than we're giving him credit for and that's really saying something.  There are a lot of markets where chasing college football fans might be worth a shot and DC isn't any of them.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, NFLfan10 said:

Praying we at least see these combos. They're a bit less offensive.

White over burgundy would be tolerable.

Burgundy over white looks bad with the numbers, letters and stripes being predominantly gold. Especially since the pants are blank.

They really need a pair of gold pants.

• Like 11

Hotter Than July > Thriller

24 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The new Commanders look is so collegiate

Someone somewhere else remarked that they look like unis ASU would bust out for a Tuesday night game.

That tracks.

• Like 7

I’d almost guarantee Washington wears the black alt against already black heavy teams (PIT, LV, CAR, JAX)

Even though this set is a complete trash heap, and we’re not entirely sure if the gold pants are real…

I’d like to see these combinations, but I don’t expect in the slightest

Burgundy/White/Burgundy/Black

Burgundy/White/White/Burgundy

Black/White/Black/Burgundy

Granted, they’ll likely all look horrible, but it’d be better than seeing all burgundy and all white for the whole season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Q: Are the new Commanders burgundy and yellow the exact same burgundy and yellow they had for their previous identity?

According to Trucolor.net,

The Burgundy (#651C32), Gold (#FFB81C) and White(#FFFFFF) are the same as before. The black is completely new #010101. 

@TruColor Isn't that correct?

spacer.png

Just now, nuordr said:

According to Trucolor.net, 

The Burgundy (#651C32), Gold (#FFB81C) and White(#FFFFFF) are the same as before. The black is completely new #010101. 

Good knowledge.

They did have black on their R**skins helmet tho

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

My two cents:

The Commanders name is decent, I guess. I find it nice taking a different approach to Washington sporting team nicknames after all of the government ones. Something that harks to the military is a nice deviation.

The numbers are just typical "military style" font, and that level of design laziness doesn't belong in the NFL.

The jerseys just seems run of the mill default Nike package that some high school tweaked and added their colors. I am liking the potential of the black alternate jersey and helmet, something that hasn't been fully utilized by Washington. 

I do remember seeing somewhere that the new W logo looks like a recolored Waste Management logo. Now I can picture Wayne Huizenga kicking and screaming in his grave. 

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Someone somewhere else remarked that they look like unis ASU would bust out for a Tuesday night game.

That tracks.

It might actually be worse, since at least ASU's black sets have some yellow on them, and have often been paired with brighter elements like their yellow helmets to add visual contrast.

The Commanders' brightest helmet is burgundy. Real good contrast, there /s

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, YNWA said:

Team President Jason Wright said that per NFL rules " a color from the home or away uniform must be present for it to be used on a 3rd jersey, hence the black trim on the white uniform"

If that's not the epitome of BFBS then I don't know what is.

• Like 22