Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

Snyder and the NFL cant be happy that everyone is calling the team the Commies.  Like its not too late for them to change it back to Football Team. If they can dump the (Commanders) as quick as they did, they can dump the Commanders.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

It both amazes me and doesn't at the same time on how much of complete mess this rebrand ended up. The name is just meh and its the least of the problems overall. There is no consistency between anything anywhere. All they had to do was slapped the new logo and wordmarks on their old jerseys and call it a night. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who liked their 2002 throwbacks. Would have been nice to use those as the basis for the new jerseys.

I saw a photoshop fix up of the road jerseys on Twitter that added back in the gold to the sleeve stripes and removed the pattern on the numbers. At least it matches up better with the home jerseys.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, gsn93 said:

It both amazes me and doesn't at the same time on how much of complete mess this rebrand ended up. The name is just meh and its the least of the problems overall. There is no consistency between anything anywhere. All they had to do was slapped the new logo and wordmarks on their old jerseys and call it a night. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who liked their 2002 throwbacks. Would have been nice to use those as the basis for the new jerseys.

I saw a photoshop fix up of the road jerseys on Twitter that added back in the gold to the sleeve stripes and removed the pattern on the numbers. At least it matches up better with the home jerseys.

De-gimmicking uniforms is almost always a 100% success. Case in point. 

• Like 11
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Snyder and the NFL cant be happy that everyone is calling the team the Commies.  Like its not too late for them to change it back to Football Team. If they can dump the (Commanders) as quick as they did, they can dump the Commanders.

It will be fine. The jokes will stop soon because they aren't funny.  It's like making a poop joke about the Cleveland Browns or making a... very bad reference about the Green Bay Packers. Every team has some sort of stupid joke and it doesn't hold up as much as you would think. It's just the lowest form of humor and eventually people will get over it.

• Like 7

bSLCtu2.png

Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread, but they got the years wrong in this logo. These are technically the years the Super Bowl was played, but no one would call this year's Super Bowl the 2022 Super Bowl. It's for the 2021 season. This is an astounding error.

spacer.png

• Like 15

It's like that group project where everyone has a task and no one agreed to a theme, they just showed up and did the presentation

Helmet person: our new identity is burgundy and yellow

Road jersey: our new identity is burgundy and white.  Let's use a wacky gradient on the font

Alt set: I hate the other people in my group, I'll do this myself.  Let me just see what they did and change it enough so the teacher won't know.  What are our colors? Oh forget that, black is a great color.  I'll put helmet numbers on mine, but I don't like white OR burgundy.  I don't like shoulder stripes.  I do have a great idea for the nameplate but I'm definitely not telling the other people about it!  Let's move the roundel over here. 

Font people: since we have a very jagged logo let's go in a totally different direction and curve all the numbers...err how about not the 1,4, or 7. Let's split them in half, sometime at the top, bottom, and sometimes in the middle. 

Pants people: when is the presentation again?

• Like 21

14 hours ago, Olmec said:

What I've gathered from this is that nike has no idea how to design a uniform with more than two colors

So here is the thing... Nike will make their pitch and try and get teams to buy into whatever concepts/innovations or whatever else they want to call things, but ultimately the team is the client and has the final say.

Case in point, Nike pushed on the Bucs and the Browns on the previous sets and the teams caved and we got Alarm clock numbers, contrast stitching, and names down the pants... then in the redesigns the teams put their foot down and said we want traditional uniforms and got them.

The Chargers and Patriots in their redesigns said they wanted more traditional from the start and got them.

The Jets, Titans, Falcons and the Rams let Nike have control like the Browns and Bucs did previously and we see the results.

Looks like Washington didn't learn from the Bucs, Browns, Pats and Chargers, and went the way of the Jets, Titans, Rams and Falcons.

Final call is from the team, not Nike, so put the blame on the teams and not Nike really. Nike will only do what the team will allow.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, canzman said:

So here is the thing... Nike will make their pitch and try and get teams to buy into whatever concepts/innovations or whatever else they want to call things, but ultimately the team is the client and has the final say.

Case in point, Nike pushed on the Bucs and the Browns on the previous sets and the teams caved and we got Alarm clock numbers, contrast stitching, and names down the pants... then in the redesigns the teams put their foot down and said we want traditional uniforms and got them.

The Chargers and Patriots in their redesigns said they wanted more traditional from the start and got them.

The Jets, Titans, Falcons and the Rams let Nike have control like the Browns and Bucs did previously and we see the results.

Looks like Washington didn't learn from the Bucs, Browns, Pats and Chargers, and went the way of the Jets, Titans, Rams and Falcons.

Final call is from the team, not Nike, so put the blame on the teams and not Nike really. Nike will only do what the team will allow.

I just read an article from the Washington Post and it says Tanya Snyder was heavily involved in the design of the uniforms, so I'll put as much if not more blame on her than on Nike. Here's to hoping that the Snyder's are finally forced out of the league after this court case and we end up with a competent owner who will go back to a classic re-design in five years. 2027 can't get here soon enough.

Here is a link to that article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/02/washington-commanders-name/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 2
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

3 minutes ago, Moseph said:

I just read an article from the Washington Post and it says Tanya Snyder was heavily involved in the design of the uniforms, so I'll put as much if not more blame on her than on Nike. Here's to hoping that the Snyder's are finally forced out of the league after this court case and we end up with a competent owner who will go back to a classic re-design in five years. 2027 can't get here soon enough.

Here is a link to that article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/02/washington-commanders-name/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

If this happens the new owner will probably get a waiver to redesign early like Kahn did in jacksonville

• Like 6

On PL's Bulletin column today he shows photoshops of cabernet over canary, cabernet over white, and white over cabernet.  Gotta say, they look a million times better with those combos, even if the pants are inexcusably missing stripes.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the Commanders name, and I can deal with the home set. Ideally it'll be worn with white pants fairly regularly. It's still got some dumb components but I think it'll look fine in-game. Helmets are really nice.

The away and alternate are absolutely horrendous though. Garbage. Completely without a redeeming feature. The Bucs alarm clocks were several levels above either of these uniforms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gsn93 said:

"All right, who used bleach with the 'red' load?"

this render is soooo much better. nice solid contrasting dark/light coloring.  when will folks understand this...

• Like 1

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

2 hours ago, Moseph said:

This point here -- hoping for an eventual return to the classics -- has sort of become the best we can hope for out of the modern NFL, it seems. And, from most feedback I've viewed (admittedly, a narrow sampling), simple classic-inspired uniforms seem to universally elicit positive reactions. 

We've seen it with the Browns and Bucs. I'd be hard pressed to find someone who likes the Falcons primaries better than the throwback alt. The Rams seem to have vindicated themselves somewhat by adopting an update of the classic white road uniform and favoring it over bone. The 2000s Bills weird patchwork set was replaced by a classic-inspired upgrade. Same for the 2000s Vikings and their dalliance with yellow piping and, more recently, the Bengals.

So with the Commanders, it would seem just as @Mosephsuggested: We're going to be left hoping that someone with some common sense takes over and fixes this mess.

Otherwise, should the Snyders hang on, the Commanders could end being the next version of the Cardinals: the ugliest team in the league that seems blind to that fact. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33198434/washington-commanders-nfl-franchise-search-new-nickname-logo

Once the team settled on a name, Nike's Best in Class design team worked on the uniform. The team received three uniform designs and plans to add a fourth in 2024, with fan involvement, Wright said.

"One thing Nike does is they focus on the young consumer," said Marc Reeves, a former head of brand at Nike who is now with Relo Metrics. "All the research I've ever seen [on] the younger generation says it's more than just a sport. ... People take this seriously. It's incredibly important to a community. As polarizing as Washington is, sports is one of the rare things that unifies. It's critically important to get this right."

Coach Ron Rivera was among those weighing in on the logos and uniforms. Washington co-CEO Tanya Snyder was more involved in the uniform process, owing to her days in fashion as a former model and clothing representative, among other roles. It took two months to come up with uniforms they liked. To prevent leaks of designs, they worked with a small number of vendors on merchandise. They wanted merchandise immediately ready so they could parade alumni through town handing out gear and have it for sale.

So we should be blaming Nike, Ron Rivera, and Tanya Snyder for all collectively having awful taste and making bad decisions.

• Like 11
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33198434/washington-commanders-nfl-franchise-search-new-nickname-logo

Once the team settled on a name, Nike's Best in Class design team worked on the uniform. The team received three uniform designs and plans to add a fourth in 2024, with fan involvement, Wright said.

"One thing Nike does is they focus on the young consumer," said Marc Reeves, a former head of brand at Nike who is now with Relo Metrics. "All the research I've ever seen [on] the younger generation says it's more than just a sport. ... People take this seriously. It's incredibly important to a community. As polarizing as Washington is, sports is one of the rare things that unifies. It's critically important to get this right."

Coach Ron Rivera was among those weighing in on the logos and uniforms. Washington co-CEO Tanya Snyder was more involved in the uniform process, owing to her days in fashion as a former model and clothing representative, among other roles. It took two months to come up with uniforms they liked. To prevent leaks of designs, they worked with a small number of vendors on merchandise. They wanted merchandise immediately ready so they could parade alumni through town handing out gear and have it for sale.

So we should be blaming Nike, Ron Rivera, and Tanya Snyder for all collectively having awful taste and making bad decisions.

I would think you would spend more than 2 months on jersey designs. They def show the lack of time associated with it. 

• Like 10

Here is my review of the name, logo, and uniforms I just posted to our Sports Aesthetics blog. 

Team Name Grade: B - I believe the new name could be better, but anything was better than Football Team and trust me, the name could have been much worse. 

Logos

Main Logo: B - Once again, not the best logo, but it is simple, and you will identify the team immediately. 

AVvXsEjqBCbElYQCsRV9dj-yqFe5D3IQ2YG2l2kc_BzTgG6RFjPEQPKe5HJvobTmBd3Awxv4jL6JrAXcqtAw1MTwbx1WCn1RUf9u9BeJtGYFPAL0GavssOP-6RJ9hwMdTDrPIFjsWH9tx-xSsT7bhE_eFGlD9b-60UCdYdh5eP8gDGZE5lEgKp-ah94U0FHp=s320

Typeface: C - I wish they would have put the line above Commanders above Washington. 

AVvXsEj76UhjYEmwINc5mwr6Iqk_wbxlqanZh2rlLI5X9nUnVv0aWd2Cjoe7JWmb9G9p-NVr8cKW18hPpvxEK_3rzA4WA1oAOWxPddQIixYkCxKWIPE38zrH5kOQDv2Kb165S4v6uCjEhujJM7LzvgHh1L21yDUfS4Y8-sAJ2DizfX7lgttzzSm8WcBa1Xks=s320

Team Crest: C - I like that this logo shows the date the team was founded, the three stars either represents the DC flag or the number of Super Bowls the team has won. Update: It was brought to my attention that the team added the wrong years to this logo for when they won a Super Bowl: 

1983 should be 1982

1988 should be 1987

1992 should be 1991

AVvXsEiHwbNaCqHRxsVVMuTsyQssWZDUxHMBVub0VGsGKftcY2XhIR2t8RY6crjFvD9qVAhGETXOx99iYjrdr2TLv-vo2IR02RM5Yq7XSKxwu56AfBd6y75-_AoMXjAPN9kEXZT9fVQZN2CuEyqRAAQAzGbN6ph-0PRUbRbtHSoIDAaN7_RvZs_nfk_dF6jO=s320

Logo Overall Grade: B

Helmets

Burgundy Helmet: D - I like the new satin finish, the stripe, the logo. I hate the facemask as it should be gold like previous helmets. 
AVvXsEh76bgBMhv5i-xzkjGKUgt_mL48FkctadLoqkOgy8clxWUlEWJUQSW9IAFa7KE8d2FyvdA7U5b6hud-PiqL35q7wXaY2I7ioSyGsDWqQoYIcwT_M_SoaK7f4R_Y5ZsbqSD8wc9iT_SelVhm5ed3fvmHgdHGC2ebIuTPcWt81yIIj97VvWBs9uPtlV-w=s320
Black Helmet: F - I hate the black. I hate the numbers on the side of the helmet, the W on the front of the helmet, and no stripe. 
AVvXsEhlnwT82VuBp0bX9mQVsULlEuSwbVYdsP0L3nlJkdx88MGbtuurc8MA2crW8kwRhWKRbGhCHRWeJiYdaIcdHLm5QLR2LzOp3Y7htBf9ApXChuEq-RBEfVWPkIDuE9c0hXkQSIZz3KGSFFU7I10VjpdPzmzIPsczVoROSl79eQRq7jVe_pxcuqPlxJYd=s320
Helmets Overall Grade: D 

Jerseys

Burgundy Jersey: D - By far the best jersey of all 3 released, but still far from stellar. I like the stripes on the sleeves and the number font is not bad, I dislike the Commanders name on the chest as it is too big, no TV Numbers is a big no-no for me. 

AVvXsEhBSK0JA2MCfxZjeLa8mrWzLF61IL9k0YLZ_8L0qQnHF_f7PWM0wRjO8NeV6Al-Ej5df5xagPBoMJx-kuMm9LKOrW_jFn2WER-zVPJnCbnwEx610d5z_zQK1mfRmLidLp-UZOpQVLwqcv8lB5-BST8swRT8pzTD1XScgPcM3jJEYnxF5IR9rvRezf75=s320

White Jersey: F - Awful design and no consistency with the burgundy jerseys as the numbers, sleeve stripe pattern is different. The gradient numbers are a disaster (did management not now about the hate the Rams received from their gradient numbers?) The Washington typeface across the chest is small compared to the burgundy jersey and makes it hard to read. 

AVvXsEjoOyrcKAfURFrNfvnUQLqsH_O-sExsUKdgkRf9neLJkORkVn4mXanMuKDeL_m3CmZQS_NMywSaRd6Xhzr9pFvJIrYwx1q-VhJ4eV4z2s1XYcqIXg1F61T_MS4D5Xvv5Z5nBTj2Z1jwPgPlbbWc-sTje0GrIyI7NrwwT4Ju_O94wLCcd5d92j30ceoJ=s320

Black Jersey: F - Another different and awful design from the team. No sleeve stripes, a different number font, a stupid Commander patch on the front chest, secondary logo on one arm, the DC flag on the other arm. 
AVvXsEhC7duC1YT3k5SacV7xyUR1HefK4K4mSK3F10U7BSVbaSTMlVt3wj67PyGESOR4eMivNqbB7mbhW286d_ahFyOQwe6hTbhmlqoHmWSGlWQIcSIAClaxWyE4TJUnnmmJ3CSa9SievYX5bHXgNKapjfEDBuMS5jYtXUAVobRO2TFsliWsKdR-yvsRXDTV=s320

Jerseys Overall Grade: F - No consistency, no tv numbers, just a bad overall design. 

Pants

Pants Overall Grade: F - All the pants are the same color as the jerseys. The pants are all plain, with no stripes and awful. 

Socks

Socks Overall Grade: F All the socks are a solid and color as the jerseys and pants.

Overall Grade: F

Failure and they need to hit the reset button immediately. It is so bad, that they didn't even have a name last season, but their uniforms were still a Top 15 look. This new uniform will go immediately to the near bottom, second worst look in the league behind the Jaguars, maybe even in last place. 

Issues: 
  • No stripes on the pants
  • No consistency in the design between the Home, Road, and Alternative uniforms
  • No gold pants 
  • No gold facemask
  • No TV numbers
  • No striping pattern on the burgundy helmet to match the sleeve stripes of the burgundy jersey (the best part of the entire uniform set)
  • Adding BFBS, Black for Black Sake to a uniform color palette that DID NOT need black. 
  • Typeface different on all jerseys
  • Did I mention no stripes on the pants
  • Black helmet
  • Stupid W on black helmet
  • Players numbers on black helmet
  • Military style font on 2 of the 4 jerseys 
  • Gradient numbers on the white jersey 
  • Like 14

spacer.png

So a day later, I really can’t say that I like anything about the new Washington uniforms. Every single thing is an absolute downgrade, even the name, which is the least offensive crappy part of the whole deal. Even the burgundy jersey, which is not outright bad, is just wrong. They spouted off all about the history and tradition of their 90 year old franchise, then got the Super Bowl dates wrong and disregarded all of the most recognizable aspects of the teams uniform history. The whole thing reeks of the arrogance and ignorance of an out of touch man-child who desperately wants to be cool like the hip designers at Nike. I could say a lot more but I’m tired of typing. I hate it and it sucks.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This point here -- hoping for an eventual return to the classics -- has sort of become the best we can hope for out of the modern NFL, it seems. And, from most feedback I've viewed (admittedly, a narrow sampling), simple classic-inspired uniforms seem to universally elicit positive reactions. 

We've seen it with the Browns and Bucs. I'd be hard pressed to find someone who likes the Falcons primaries better than the throwback alt. The Rams seem to have vindicated themselves somewhat by adopting the classic white road uniform and favoring it over bone. The 2000s Bills weird patchwork set was replaced by a classic-inspired upgrade. Same for the 2000s Vikings and their dalliance with yellow piping and, more recently, the Bengals.

So with the Commanders, it would seem just as @Mosephsuggested: We're going to be left hoping that someone with some common sense takes over and fixes this mess.

Otherwise, should the Snyders hang on, the Commanders could end being the next version of the Cardinals: the ugliest team in the league that seems blind to that fact. 

I don't think it's that clear-cut. The Seahawks' uniforms are very modern, but people seem to like them just fine. The Cowboys, Patriots and Saints have "classic" uniforms that suck. The Jaguars switched from a modern look to an old-school look and both uniform sets have been widely complained about for the exact opposite reasons.

The Commanders' new look doesn't suck because it's modern, it sucks because the Snyders have no taste but think they know better than the actual designers. The Washington Football Team era, and the weird stretch of seasons in the early-mid 2010s when they insisted on wearing those mismatched gold pants for every game, prove that they are every bit as capable of screwing up a classic look as they are with a modern look.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

18 minutes ago, nuordr said:

Silver Jersey: D - The only reason I gave this jersey a D instead of an F is that it is consistent and looks better than the black jersey. 

AVvXsEguAIerGjjyE5zCikufUeQ8eXHcW8qG12IR08PWTN4oqoXRJ0EB00wBtl8yBp7x06NAervfyOUvecKaRpGU093T2_kxT3duMHDmpdbdopt5UoW7q5ubDRHYGb4xwBv1DZtFOEwwh67wikQuXfnpGxvhxZLudCHEduYUCitdRedUOVl2dLKxiXsXQxFZ=s320

Issues: 
  • Adding SFSS, Silver for Silver Sake to a uniform color palette that DID NOT need silver.

I thought that the silver uniform was the only part of the whole package that they really nailed.

kmFEQd2.gif

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."