Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

When the Rams released their current look I proclaimed the bone jersey to be the worst (primary) uniform in North American sports history. I'm not sure if any one piece of this can reach the ineptitude of the Rams' bone, but the package as a whole easily tops them. How can this be two years of work? 

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, canzman said:

pretty sure this is what we got going on based on the images that have been made available.

Dark
KA9Z1iV.jpg
White
gZmiIf3.jpg
Alt

MLfbeec.jpg

So it's true. No white pants for the burgundy tops? Oh my god! Why copy Seattle of any team? This is just bull? Why do they let Nike do stuff like this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill0813 said:

The thing about the NFL? They could hand the average fan an Andy Reid sized bowl of scheisse while they tell them it’s caviar and the average fan will not only buy it but say it’s the best caviar they’ve ever eaten. Buffaslug also broke sales records FWIW.

• Like 5

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Everything about the rollout today was awkward.  "First off, welcome to NOT the best kept secret in D.C."  On the stage was Joe Theisman, who confirmed the Commanders name earlier this week.  Check the video around the 6:47 mark when Dan attempts to pose with his wife next to the mannequins, and she points for him to stand somewhere else.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joekono said:

Should have taken the feather off spear(as to not insult the American Indian), call them the "Washington Warriors",  done.

Houston Texans v Washington Redskins : News Photo

They considered that but the Warriors was thought too close to the old name by the Natives they spoke with on it. The name isn’t even one of the worst things about this rebrand, it’s every other thing that’s gone wrong because Nike can apparently only design one decent set out of the six uniforms teams are trotting out because apparently every team has to be :censored:ing Oregon now.

• Like 6

Warriors also is about as generic as you can get for a name and immediately would cause them to suffer from Texas Rangers syndrome, i.e. your team name having a much stronger public association with an entirely different franchise. 

As several have pointed out, all they had to do was slap Commanders on the WFT uniforms and slap the W on the helmets instead of the numbers. Done, dusted, easy 10/10 uniforms.  

The days of us arguing whether white-over-white, white-over-burgundy, or white-over-gold was the best/most proper Washington road look seem very quaint now. 

• Like 12

spacer.png

Just now, Crabcake said:

Warriors also is about as generic as you can get for a name and immediately would cause them to suffer from Texas Rangers syndrome, i.e. your team name having a much stronger public association with an entirely different franchise. 

I mean, to be fair, there's literally nothing more generic than being called the "Football Team"

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

How can this be two years of work?

The Edmonton Eskimos had the same problem. They rebranded into the Edmonton Elks in half the time, did it better than the Washington Commanders, and on a fraction of the budget. 

• Like 24

5 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I mean, to be fair, there's literally nothing more generic than being called the "Football Team"

Go Football Team, go.

Love it, wrap it a bow and send it to Washington.

• Like 2

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

4 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

True, but in this case it was so generic it made them stand out even more amongst the Big 4. I’m not saying I didn’t laugh every time I heard someone say “the Football Team” as opposed to “the Ravens” or something Ike that, so I understand the need to change. But Warriors was not the answer. 

• Like 6

spacer.png

I've been a fan of this team a long time and they always find ways to disappoint me, so I don't know why I thought today would be any different. It's so bad that I almost want to question my Fandom of this dysfunctional franchise and pick a new team. Everything about these uniforms is a step back from the previous set and looks like it belongs in college or some crap league. Its really a shame that they had to go from looking like a 90 year old franchise with a classic, timeless uniforms to this hot mess of  garbage, expansion team nonsense. The only thing I can hope for is that in 5 years we get a Bucs style rebrand to bring them back to normal and a top 5 look in the league again.

• Like 1
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

Just now, IceCap said:

The Edmonton Eskimos had the same problem. They rebranded into the Edmonton Elks in half the time, did it better than the Washington Commanders, and on a fraction of the budget. 

Next up when they pull their finger out will be the Chiefs, Braves and Blackhawks, 

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

2 minutes ago, tigers said:

Next up when they pull their finger out will be the Chiefs, Braves and Blackhawks, 

I doubt any of those three change. 

Regardless that's not the topic got this thread. So we're going to stop that conversation here. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, tigers said:

Blackhawks

lmao yeah right

(tl;dr: the article says that the blackhawks' ownership and fanbase has reiterated time and time again that their name will not change, as it honors and represents a real-life native american chief, as opposed to making broad generalizations about native americans like these other teams' names do.)

• Like 5