Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

My homeboy down in Richmond VA, a huge Washington NFL Football fan, just hit me on the Snapchat after seeing these in his Twitter feed and shot me this message:

"Just want you to know...the hate is REAL".

(This from a cat who cares jack about logos and uniforms--well, except for this.)

Also, where's Gothamite hiding out these days? Dude was like the Milo Melinogele to anything military-themed/related around here for the longest time. (for the uninitiated, Milo was our resident Revered Killjoy around here for years before dfwabel took that crown from him). I'm sure wherever he is, he's probably experiencing sensory aneurysms out the wazoo about this set. (And to be frank, on this one, I wouldn't blame him.)

• Like 12

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Monochrome ✅

BFBS ✅

No triple helmet stripe, for no reason and with no explanation ✅

Garbage number font with stencil lines ✅

Congratulations Washington!! You’ve been Nike’d.

• Like 10

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Some teams should never not have block fonts.  The 32s are one of them.  As others have said, take the 2002 throwback, drop the TV numbers, put the cabernet W inside a white roundel with canary trim on the helmet, and call it a day.

They want a dumb black set?  Fine - just model it off of that.  The 32s aren't a team that needs any gimmicks like some crap franchise in a small market that struggles for attention.  Hell - just last year we saw one of those teams reduce the attention-grabbing gimmicks... and now they're in the Super Bowl!

• Like 13

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One of the main things I dislike about new branding from teams, is the lack of a logo that fits with the teams’ name. Name: Commanders. Logo: lame modern W. I don’t like it. I’m fine with the name, but it took 2 years to come up with this logo? Bad. 

The red jersey is fine. Basic, but fine. I do like the satin helmet. It was rumored the helmet would have a white and yellow stripe side by side, which to me would make it more unique and cool (similar to the titans helmet). 

Black is not trendy anymore. It’s not 2002. A team that hasn’t never incorporated black into their identity doesn’t need to embrace it in 2022. I would’ve preferred a yellow or gray jersey that black. The camo looks tacky and won’t be seen on TV. That black helmet is a mashup of different ideas and I don’t feel like it works at all. The numbers on the helmet are too small and the W is just out of place. 

Everyone can agree the worst thing about this is their white uniforms. It 100% looks like something made for the Cardinals. If a team has 2 or more distinct colors (not white, black or gray) then they need to be utilized as much as possible. The lack of yellow makes this uniform really bad and out of place, AND it incorporates more black, which shouldn’t even be there. 

NO PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE PANTS WITH NO STRIPES ON THEM. It’s such a pet peeve for me. Whether it’s baseball or football, no stripes is way too boring, unless it’s for a throwback or special reason. When the Lions added white pants this year, it was a great idea. Awful execution since they didn’t have blue stripes, which would’ve made it a solid B rating at least. Going with no pant stripes or design or anything is lazy and unappealing to viewers and fans, in my opinion. 

Lots of different ideas taken from left field and right field alike, and ya I’d say this rebrand is bad. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dont care said:

Teams unveil monochrome to show each element in every possible color. 

I've heard this before and it makes no sense to me. If I show off new uniforms with one white over burgundy model and one burgundy over white model, and you show it off with one all burgundy model and one all white model, we've both shown the exact same uniform components.  How does monochrome show more possibilities?

Seems to me that they debut them in monochrome because that's how they expect them to be primarily worn.  And the past decade or so kind of confirms that.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

My homeboy down in Richmond VA, a huge Washington NFL Football fan, just hit me on the Snapchat after seeing these in his Twitter feed and shot me this message:

"Just want you to know...the hate is REAL".

(This from a cat who cares jack about logos and uniforms--well, except for this.)

Also, where's Gothamite hiding out these days? Dude was like the Milo Melinogele to anything military-themed/related around here for the longest time. (for the uninitiated, Milo was our resident Revered Killjoy around here for years before dfwabel took that crown from him). I'm sure wherever he is, he's probably experiencing sensory aneurysms out the wazoo about this set. (And to be frank, on this one, I wouldn't blame him.)

I am friends with the President of the largest Washington team fan club and he said they are not going over well with his group at all. 

• Like 9

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've heard this before and it makes no sense to me. If I show off new uniforms with one white over burgundy model and one burgundy over white model, and you show it off with one all burgundy model and one all white model, we've both shown the exact same uniform components.  How does monochrome show more possibilities?

Seems to me that they debut them in monochrome because that's how they expect them to be primarily worn.  And the past decade or so kind of confirms that.

It’s probably easier for the couple of interns who put the mannequins together (let’s be honest Snyder barely spent anything on this trash of an unveiling). Red goes with red, white goes with white and so on. But I don’t think it confirms anything when teams mix and match as much as they do. 

32 minutes ago, MGoBlue98 said:

One of the main things I dislike about new branding from teams, is the lack of a logo that fits with the teams’ name. Name: Commanders. Logo: lame modern W. I don’t like it. I’m fine with the name, but it took 2 years to come up with this logo? Bad. 

They're in a division with the Giants, whose logo also doesn't fit the team name.   The 49ers helmet logo is the team name.  Washington made sure this logo could not be remotely construed as offensive to any group TBD.    Jason Wright is leaving things like a mascot and fight song  to the fans to come up with because they couldn't figure it out themselves in two years.   

9 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

FKmSdCeXMAAqNuz?format=jpg&name=medium

To get away from the uniforms for a second (sigh of relief) this is just a terrible, uninspired roundel.  The only interesting part is the quadrant with the stars, and that just makes me think of Tennessee, not DC.

I can see a lot of problems:

• The W logo has to be weirdly tiny to fit, being dwarfed by every other element in the roundel
  • The founding date has been split in half, with each half on opposite sides of the logo. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were founded in 1919 and have a perma-memorial to a #32.
  • "Washington Football" only serves to remind people that this franchise used to be called the Football Team
  • Are they really that confident about not winning another Super Bowl before replacing this logo? Have fun reprinting all your merchandise if the team happens to back into a championship.
  • Like 7

Brutal.  

So much potential, some really good things...and they just messed it up on the  whole.

PROS:

- "W" logo is solid

- "Commanders" is fine considering the region.  
- Round Logo is nice
- Satin Burgundy helmet is actually really nice.  It would be a better option on the Black uniform, with a black facemask.  

- Black uniform is nice, something trendy for the young crowd.  I don't mind the unique nameplate, but will be interesting to see it on the field in regards to lengths of last names.  

CONS:

- White jersey is immediately the worst in the NFL.  Excluded Gold for the sake of Black.  Just really bad.  Home/away jerseys should have matching main elements, such as stripes, fonts.  HORRIFIC.  This should've been so easy.  Even if they insisted on the silly gradients...add Gold behind the Maroon, and it would look fine, and save all the black for the black uniform.
- No Gold pants.  Need a set for the home uniforms.  Lack of stripes is expected, it'll be fine.  
- No color on Black pants; Burgundy & Gold look great on Black, why leave it off?  Again, goes back to stripes conundrum.

- Black helmet is abysmal.  Why not satin finish, like the primary.  Looks way better.  Logo on front with numbers on side just terrible.  This makes the Jaguar's gradient helmet look good.

Overall, close, but you fudged it up bad in the end.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

NFLShop only has the burgundy jerseys listed for sale

You can tell they have zero faith in the other jerseys

And apparently the "Game" jerseys will now be $130. This level was $100 just two years ago. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.