Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

2 hours ago, Blast_Brothers said:

I can see a lot of problems:

• The W logo has to be weirdly tiny to fit, being dwarfed by every other element in the roundel
  • The founding date has been split in half, with each half on opposite sides of the logo. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were founded in 1919 and have a perma-memorial to a #32.
  • "Washington Football" only serves to remind people that this franchise used to be called the Football Team
  • Are they really that confident about not winning another Super Bowl before replacing this logo? Have fun reprinting all your merchandise if the team happens to back into a championship.

Let’s be honest, they are never winning a super bowl while Snyder is owner. That’s his punishment for being an awful owner and human being.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

I'm trying to remember which unveiling actually crashed the boards and site.

I seem to recall the Arizona Cardinals unveiling crashed us wayyy back in the day. Not sure about any others, but I'm sure it's happened a number of times, especially when it receives THIS much commentary and hate

• Like 8

6uXNWAo.png

18 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

The new team name leaking due to their own incompetence and going with such awful uniforms is just so in character for a Dan Snyder-owned team.

In the back of my mind, I kind of feel like this is Dan Synder giving everyone the middle finger and laughing because he knows deep down that this bad and he was against the name change from day 1.

• Like 6

spacer.png

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I can buy that each team independently had bad ideas. 

What I find hard to believe is that they independently had the same bad ideas. It's the similar nature of these uniforms from a design philosophy standpoint that make me think the same person or team of people was behind both. IE Nike. 

Except we know that's not the case because of the material that got released from Washington's proposed 2009 rebrand. For example:

These proposed alternates, which are now 13 years old, already had a lot of the same ideas as the Commanders' new uniforms. All three options obviously have BFBS. Option 1 has stripeless pants. Option 2 has an oversized wordmark on the front (like their new home jersey), stripeless one-color socks, and pants stripes that are similar to their new home jersey's sleeve stripes (thick outlines, thin center). Option 3 has a pointless collarbone patch like their new alternate jersey. And this whole process was playing out with Reebok, not Nike. Different manufacturer, different designers, same franchise, same owner, similar results.

I have a hard time believing that Snyder would let Nike do whatever they want without meddling when he won't even let his own football executives do that. In general, I don't think the ultra-wealthy egomaniacs who own most NFL teams can resist the opportunity to put their stamp on their team's new uniforms, even if the result flat-out sucks because they have no taste and/or no idea how graphic design works. As a former Chargers fan, you should remember the decades that the Chargers spent wearing boring navy uniforms because the Spanos family hated powder blue and they didn't care what the fans wanted. I think that's the kind of mindset at play most of the time in these uniform changes.

• Like 12

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

10 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Except we know that's not the case because of the material that got released from Washington's proposed 2009 rebrand. For example:

These proposed alternates, which are now 13 years old, already had a lot of the same ideas as the Commanders' new uniforms. All three options obviously have BFBS. Option 1 has stripeless pants. Option 2 has an oversized wordmark on the front (like their new home jersey), stripeless one-color socks, and pants stripes that are similar to their new home jersey's sleeve stripes (thick outlines, thin center). Option 3 has a pointless collarbone patch like their new alternate jersey. And this whole process was playing out with Reebok, not Nike. Different manufacturer, different designers, same franchise, same owner, similar results.

I have a hard time believing that Snyder would let Nike do whatever they want without meddling when he won't even let his own football executives do that. In general, I don't think the ultra-wealthy egomaniacs who own most NFL teams can resist the opportunity to put their stamp on their team's new uniforms, even if the result flat-out sucks because they have no taste and/or no idea how graphic design works. As a former Chargers fan, you should remember the decades that the Chargers spent wearing boring navy uniforms because the Spanos family hated powder blue and they didn't care what the fans wanted. I think that's the kind of mindset at play most of the time in these uniform changes.

The polo shirt they made us wear on game day and working at the Team Store around that time was roughly the color pallete what middle design looked like. It was all black and the shoulder area had stripes like the pants with the logo on it. 

It was this one
spacer.png

Edited by kmccarthy27
Added shirt image
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

These proposed alternates, which are now 13 years old, already had a lot of the same ideas as the Commanders' new uniforms.

Yeah he's always wanted a BFBS uniform. He has one. So will the Rams in a year. 

14 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

As a former Chargers fan, you should remember the decades that the Chargers spent wearing boring navy uniforms because the Spanos family hated powder blue and they didn't care what the fans wanted.

Yep I do remember that. I also remember that was years ago when manufacturers had far less of a role in the design process and years before Nike's current design team was even out of school. 

As I said, I see too many design similarities between the Commanders' set and the Rams set. They feel like they're both the product of the same internalized group think you'd get on a design team that always works together. 

-No tv numbers? ✅

-Mismatching home and road? ✅

-Wordmarks in weird places? ✅

-Gradients, but only on one set of numbers? ✅

-BFBS? ✅pretty soon once the Rams wear theirs 

Too many coincidences and similar design language for there not to be a common element, and Nike is that element. 

• Like 11

Hold up--what's this talk of the Rams getting a black alternate next season about??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

28 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I have to say that set on the left is better than any of the uniforms in the new set. In other news im deeply going to miss the split stripe. God knows why they couldnt just have that on the pants, jerseys, socks, and even the helmets it was an iconic look. Was thinking they couldve just did the DC flags on the sleeves instead too. Oh well you get what you get.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Washington is getting a “modern throwback” white jersey next season right?

RIGHT!?

That would actually explain why there's not a white version of the cabernet one.  I now fully expect this to be the case.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 minutes ago, canzman said:

pretty sure this is what we got going on based on the images that have been made available.

The road jersey has a black stripe between the white stripes on the sleeves.  Also, the DC flag is on the back of the black helmet, but I haven't seen a published image yet.   Not sure that the white pants have a stripe on them.

I don't know if it's been pointed out, and I'm not going back through all of this to check, but both Native American teams that have changed their names (Washington and Cleveland), seemed to have raided the last 2 spring football leagues (AAF and XFL) for their new names (Commanders and Guardians).

• Like 5