Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

Welcome to the Browns 2.0.... Should've kept the traditional look of the old team. They went way too far on the crazy end, but hey, fans will buy jerseys right??

And I hate the black uniform. God, why do they think black uniforms look cool for a team whose primary colors are burgundy and gold? Ugh, just make me mad.

• Like 2

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

11 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Is there a back view of the black helmet? I thought I read that they had some design on the back of it? Maybe I'm just crazy.

The black helmets feature the DC flag on the back of the helmet is what was inspired by the "follow-me" stripe on military helmets that was meant to help a group of forces know where their leader was on the battlefield. It also stands as a symbol that honors and celebrates the DC community. The numbers on the sides of the helmets, which was a feature fans liked about the Washington Football Team helmets, are the largest visual identity element.

https://www.commanders.com/news/4-things-to-know-about-the-washington-commanders-new-uniforms

That black uniform easily is the worst uniform in the league. Like, it’s not even close. Nothing even approaches its zip code of awfulness (yes, that includes the bone). The BFBS-ness of it and the awful number font would be bad enough, but then add on to it the lines on the nameplate; stripeless, logoless (I think, someone correct me if I’m wrong) black yoga pants; and easily the worst, silliest, impossible-to-take-seriously helmet in the league’s history. It looks like it was designed by a toddler who had a blank black helmet and a bunch of stickers to put wherever they wanted. 

I could write manifestos on why these suck so much. And for a team with all that tradition, too. Good job changing the one thing about your team that wasn’t completely depressing. I feel bad for my DMV friends who actually root for this team. 

• Like 15

spacer.png

It’s mind boggling that blank pants has become a trend. The most easy thing to get right is a traditional football stripe with no gimmicks and teams can’t even do it. Not to mention monochrome, black, chest woodmark, and all the other terrible trends here. It’s going to be hard to even watch the NFL if half the teams look like this in ten years.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

That black uniform easily is the worst uniform in the league. Like, it’s not even close. Nothing even approaches its zip code of awfulness (yes, that includes the bone). The BFBS-ness of it and the awful number font would be bad enough, but then add on to it the lines on the nameplate; stripeless, logoless (I think, someone correct me if I’m wrong) black yoga pants; and easily the worst, silliest, impossible-to-take-seriously helmet in the league’s history. It looks like it was designed by a toddler who had a blank black helmet and a bunch of stickers to put wherever they wanted. 

I could write manifestos on why these suck so much. And for a team with all that tradition, too. Good job changing the one thing about your team that wasn’t completely depressing. I feel bad for my DMV friends who actually root for this team. 

The entire black set is what would happen if Nike hired Dr. Wu away from Jurassic World and tasked him with splicing together the worst aspects of the Cardinals, the 2016 Jaguars, the alarm clock Bucs, and the Rams’ most recent uniforms with the inexplicable name tag.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Needschat said:

It's 2022, not 1992!

Enough with the black third/special/alternate jersey!!

Burgundy and gold are fine. I mean, I preferred the Philadelphia Fury burgundy, but hey!  

I'm sick of them too. Pick an identity and stick with it. They killed it.

• Like 2

If you want to take away from the black alternate jersey, look at the name plate there:

FKojsVfXIAAf48c?format=jpg&name=medium

That is the only good part I have to say about this jersey. Imitating the logo wordmark and apply it the same way to the name plate is a nice touch and isn't too bad at all. What IS too bad is that it's now stuck with lame jersey nobody buys.

Like, that's a nice diamond in a pile of goat :censored:.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This whole ordeal was brutal. This is a terrible brand, there is nothing much else to say. Everything about this stinks.

I had more time to think about over the course of the day. Oh my goodness, is this a disaster.

- Waited too long to change from the R-words

- Then kept WFT around for too long (to the point that it ended up making people think that would be a good name?)

- Then just lay an absolute egg with the new brand

Like @IceCap said, Edmonton had less time, less money and still did it insanely better. Heck, I'd wager even most, if not all, of the high schools who changed their name to some variation of "(adjective) Hawks" did it better.

With all that being said, I'm fine with Commanders being the name and PFT Commenter does point out some positives about it (apologies if this was posted already but I don't really want to wade through the pages of this thread).

• Like 14

IbjBaeE.png

3 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

If you want to take away from the black alternate jersey, look at the name plate there:

FKojsVfXIAAf48c?format=jpg&name=medium

That is the only good part I have to say about this jersey. Imitating the logo wordmark and apply it the same way to the name plate is a nice touch and isn't too bad at all. What IS too bad is that it's now stuck with lame jersey nobody buys.

Like, that's a nice diamond in a pile of goat :censored:.

The hell is that on the back of the helmet? The black helmet looks like something a 1st grader would put together.

What they got right

• I actually really like the satin burgundy helmets. I think they look really good and have no complaints for those.
  • I kind of like the unique look they went for on the alternate helmets with the number and logo placements. I don't mind teams experimenting a little, and I kind of like the non traditional helmet style. Why not.
  • The name. I like it, and I think they could have built a good brand around it.

What they got wrong

• Literally everything else.
  • The monochrome uniforms.
  • The pointless black alternates with the ugly military motif.
  • No jerseys match (even the Rams have two jerseys that match).
  • The road jersey has no gold.
  • The mismatching wordmarks.
  • The giant wordmark on the home uniform
  • The logo that looks like a marginal upgrade from the placeholder logo.
  • The numbers on the road jersey are the worst in the NFL. Even to you Titans haters, these are far worse. (I don't hate the numbers on the home uniform, but they still aren't the best).
  • The stupid diamond/gradient pattern.
  • What on god's green earth is the black set's nameplate????

I think every single fan-made concept is 100% better than these dumpster fires. They make the Rams and Titans sets look like classics. Dan Snyder, how the hell do you drop the ball this :censored:ing bad. I can't believe we are stuck with these monstrosities for 5 years

• Like 6

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

The only way to salvage the home and away looks are going to be in the uniform combinations. Burgundy over White, White over Burgundy, etc. You can make it tolerable. The problem is you shouldn't have to find ways to make something tolerable, you should have gotten it right the first time!

I really love the burgundy helmet though.

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

The name isn't the worst possible option, but it's on the shortlist.

My order of names I heard (best first): Pigskins, Washington Football Team, Wolves, Red Wolves, Red Tails, Commanders, DCFC.

Uniforms are absolute trash. They didn't need new uniforms at all and already had among the best in the league. They're now in the bottom 3 of overall sets and have 2 of the 5 worst standalone uniforms in the league. If I was a fan, I would've switched to the Ravens this morning. There's always hope a bad uniform set gets changed, but you're never coming back from "Commanders".

• Like 4

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)