Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If there is any justice...

Which, given this is a Dan Snyder team...I wouldn't hold our breaths for.

I guarantee that once the five years is up, they'll backpedal on literally all of this :censored: and rebrand again

• Like 2

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum's Dr. Ian Malcolm, "Your design team was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Nike headquarters has become the athletic design equivalent of Isla Nublar.

Come to think of it, "Chaos Theory" would be an apropos name for a uniform system in which none of the individual unis - home, road, or alternate - exhibits any truly cohesive design uniformity with one another. 

• Like 21

Designers may be hamstrung by the client's tastes, whims and desires... but normally there's a way to make the client happy and still do some good design work in there somewhere.

For example, incorporating black into the road uniform may have been a directive from the Washington market research team or it may have been a prerequisite from the NFL saying that if they want an all-black alternate uniform they need black on the primary uniform somewhere... but the blame for executing it the way they did still falls on Nike (and their designers).

• Like 8

The helmet is the only place where the stenciled logo is applied in a stenciled kind of way (even though a W doesn't necessarily need to be stenciled with those breaks). The outline/background used on the logo elsewhere, and on the numbers, makes zero sense and just  makes it look like a poorly drawn 3D letter  - or origami as others have said.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMU said:

I'm sure that despite the illusion that teams have veto power that Nike has some semblance of creative control built into the contract and can turn a few screws to make teams accept their vision.

I am convinced MLS teams have 0 power. They tell the league office they want a change and they hire some tone deaf logo designer and adidas just does what they want, and the league forces them to keep it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill0813 said:

They're in a division with the Giants, whose logo also doesn't fit the team name.   The 49ers helmet logo is the team name.  Washington made sure this logo could not be remotely construed as offensive to any group TBD.    Jason Wright is leaving things like a mascot and fight song  to the fans to come up with because they couldn't figure it out themselves in two years.   

Ya I have a huge issue with the Giants logo. It’s super boring. Don’t get me started on the fact they play in Jersey…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

CCSLC Worst. Unveiling. Ever.  Power Rankings

1. Buffaslug

2. OKC Thunder

3. WTF Commanders

I'm trying to remember which unveiling actually crashed the boards and site. Was it Buffaslug?

This one I haven't been able to get onto the actual mothership for a few  hours after the unveiling so this one is definitely up there

• Like 1

Is there a dedicated landing page with full photo reveals, etc. like other teams have done recently? On the team site there's just 17 images, none of the back of the BFBS helmet, etc. 

Also, these Commander cars that have been riding around DC all day are adorned with the old 'Skins helmet striping... 🙄