Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

2 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

Are they really that confident about not winning another Super Bowl before replacing this logo? Have fun reprinting all your merchandise if the team happens to back into a championship.

that's just a great opportunity to print more merch and make more money my man. though it's a pretty safe assumption they won't have to while snyder is still alive

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MGoBlue98 said:

I do like the satin helmet. It was rumored the helmet would have a white and yellow stripe side by side, which to me would make it more unique and cool

A thing can't be "more unique." It's either unique or it isn't.

Carry on and Go Bucks. 😎

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

12 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

FKmSdCeXMAAqNuz?format=jpg&name=medium

To get away from the uniforms for a second (sigh of relief) this is just a terrible, uninspired roundel.  The only interesting part is the quadrant with the stars, and that just makes me think of Tennessee, not DC.

It's like someone was wearing a hat with the stickers still on it, and the designer saw it and had an epiphany.   Take this and divide each of the top and bottom to make it into quadrants.
spacer.png

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I still place the blame primarily on the teams. Nike could bring in the greatest designers in the world and the final product would still be trash if the owner insists on trash

We've seen teams that have been pretty firm in what they wanted though, and they've ended up pretty nice. 

Sorry, I just see too much of the same crap regurgitated here to say it's not a Nike production. 

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

And this right here is my major beef with the one-leaugue-supplier setup for the major pro leagues: they're all starting to look a little too homogenous. On top of that, with these guys, it's been more about advancing their design agenda and philosophy than highlighting the actual team itself aside from logos and colors. That, too, can ebb and flow with whatever trend they land on next.

Exactly! It used to be the teams told the manufacturers what they wanted. Now the manufacturers are using teams to push their own design philosophies and ideas at the expense of team identities. 

The tail's been wagging the dog for years now. 

• Like 10

honestly, especially if they go with the name they went with, i dont MIND them going military camo with one of the uniforms. this board always seems to hate when people try new things

• Like 2

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

We've seen teams that have been pretty firm in what they wanted though, and they've ended up pretty nice. 

Sorry, I just see too much of the same crap regurgitated here to say it's not a Nike production. 

Exactly! It used to be the teams told the manufacturers what they wanted. Now the manufacturers are using teams to push their own design philosophies and ideas at the expense of team identities. 

The tail's been wagging the dog for years now. 

I'm sure that despite the illusion that teams have veto power that Nike has some semblance of creative control built into the contract and can turn a few screws to make teams accept their vision.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

the bottom left quadrant features three stars, representative of the stars on the D.C. flag and the team's position within the Nation's Capital.

what

Are they saying they're the third most popular team in DC? I mean the Caps and Nats each have recent championships so probably. 

But it's not a good idea to acknowledge it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IceCap said:

What makes you think the Rams and Commanders weren't firm in wanting garbage? Snyder in particular had already wanted to replace his team's classic look with clunky, trend-chasing, BFBS-laden "modern" uniforms since the Reebok era. He just finally had an excuse to do it with the name change.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Unfortunately, the problem is with it in place a lot of the popular throwbacks that would need new shells just can't happen (like Bucco Bruce or Pat Patriot), so it's kinda a lose-lose situation.

Those teams are welcome to go back to those identities at any point. Until then, they should wear the brand that they've chosen to represent their team.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

8 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'm sure that despite the illusion that teams have veto power that Nike has some semblance of creative control built into the contract and can turn a few screws to make teams accept their vision.

I think it's a complicated situation that depends on a number of things. The personalities of the people involved certainly plays into it. 

Nike has their own vision and philosophy. They're going to come in with that and try to push it. 

Then you have the teams. Do they know what they want? Do they have an idea but nothing concrete? Do they not know at all other then knowing they want a rebrand of some sort? 

Is the guy making the Nike pitches persuasive? Is the team rep a pushover or willing to hold firm to what the team wants? 

All of this and more likely plays a role in how these things play out, but I'm certainly not sold on the notion that the teams are 100% to blame. 'cause as I said earlier it should be a case where the manufacturer just does what they're told, rather than using teams and pre-established brands to push their own agendas. 

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

What makes you think the Rams and Commanders weren't firm in wanting garbage?

I can buy that each team independently had bad ideas. 

What I find hard to believe is that they independently had the same bad ideas. It's the similar nature of these uniforms from a design philosophy standpoint that make me think the same person or team of people was behind both. IE Nike. 

• Like 9

Someday, there will be a uniform unveiling where the uniform is great, we all like it, and the only thing Nike says about it will be "yeah, we went with this because we thought it looked cooler than :censored:." This will happen right after real life Jurassic Park opens and Millennium Falcon Airlines offers non-stop  service to Hoth; the skiing capital of the quadrant.

• Like 10

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Are they saying they're the third most popular team in DC? I mean the Caps and Nats each have recent championships so probably. 

But it's not a good idea to acknowledge it!

They are the third most popular team in Maryland. 😏

• Like 3

I saw, I came, I left.

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Someday, there will be a uniform unveiling where the uniform is great, we all like it, and the only thing Nike says about it will be "yeah, we went with this because we thought it looked cooler than :censored:." This will happen right after real life Jurassic Park opens and Millennium Falcon Airlines offers non-stop  service to Hoth; the skiing capital of the quadrant.

I think that's what I loved about the Browns, Bucs, and Chargers rebrands from a year ago. The teams knew what they wanted so Nike speak was kept to a minimum. 

"We wanted a version of this old look because it was awesome." 

The more Nike speak there is the more they got involved. 

• Like 11

I don't know how to feel about the idea of alternate helmets. I like it for accurate throwbacks (the Bengals will finally be able to wear a 70's throwback if they so choose), and I like it for teams like the Bengals who could do something cool with it like a white tiger helmet, but we know thanks to this very unveiling that there will be a lot of really dumb looking designs for dumb teams who can't help themselves.

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

the bottom left quadrant features three stars, representative of the stars on the D.C. flag and the team's position within the Nation's Capital.

what

If they were really showing their position within the Nation's Capital, that space would be blank and there would be a mark outside the circle at around 2:00 signifying the location of Landover/Raljon. 

spacer.png

• Like 13

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃