Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

5 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I just realized the generic WFT identity was better than this. Hilarious.

Including (and especially) the W itself. And why ruin the iconic helmet stripe for good? WTF WFT. 

Plenty of people off these boards have mentioned actually getting used to/liking the Washington Football Team identity, and all of them dislike the new name/uniforms. 

• Like 5

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

5 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

IIRC, someone in this thread stated that the black helmet is to be worn with the white uniform at some point.

How can that be the case when the new rule states that an alternate helmet can only be worn with an alternate uniform?

I think you can officially forget any "rules" you think you know.

Adding second helmets signifies the official opening of the floodgates that started when teams started mixing the color rush elements into the regular rotation. . From here forward, it's anything goes.

• Like 10
  • WOAH 2

19 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

It’s beginning to look like college ball with the loosening the number assignment rules as is. The helmet rule change will make this full blown NCAA.

I was going to say "who wants to bet on which team will be the first to add neon green to their uniform" but then I remembered the Seahawks.  

I'm half-expecting a team to land in Oregon now...

25 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

It’s beginning to look like college ball with the loosening the number assignment rules as is. The helmet rule change will make this full blown NCAA.

I honestly don't mind that. Smaller numbers look better on faster, shiftier guys.

That said, I'd love to see DLs and LBs in 80-89 again. Big round numbers look better on big men.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sayahh said:

The whole point was to get rid of any Native American imagery, which is what they promised to do.  Removing the feathers and leaving the R within a circle would have visually made them "the Washington Republicans."

When I said ,"modified," I meant more than dropping a feather.  Put a "W" in the circle or the new "W" in burgundy without the circle.   

Leaving the "R" didn't make them Republicans but Red wolves, hogs, tails...
In D.C. Capitals are Caps,  Nationals are Nats, what would that make Commanders?    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I’m more and more baffled every time I look at these uniforms. They took a 90-year old team rocking one of the most iconic sports looks in history and turned them into trend-chasing Arena-football Nike-fied 0/10 garbage. Unbelievable.

Then again, it honestly is the perfect microcosm for Dan Snyder’s reign as owner, so maybe it’s not all bad. No wait, it is all bad. Every single thing about this redesign is bad. 

An incoherent mess that clearly doesn't belong together? Shortsightedly going after things that were popular a decade ago? Going with a company that's ill-suited for the job at hand to probably save a buck?

Yep, that sounds like Dan Snyder's tenure alright.

• Like 4

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It took @IceCap all of a couple hours to completely blow away two years of Nike's research, study groups, and circle jerks.

I'd've kept the helmet oxblood, but that's basically what I was suggesting earlier.  Keep that look for a couple of seaons just to transition to the new name, then go balls out so that only one big thing is changing at a time rather than the whole thing.

I mean, I would hope that they would not see the need to blow it up and go full Nike bs trash garbage-ass crap, but if they did, starting off traditional first might have been the better move.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

36 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Washington’s design process-

The burgundy helmet

spacer.png

The rest of the set

spacer.png

And the best part is the burgundy helmet is a 6-7/10 at best lol

• Like 7

spacer.png

17 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Don’t forget the nfl sock (or lack of) rules now. No standard. Players in different ones, teams in full unitard. This set seams to only feature unitard.

KISSwall09.jpg

my second biggest gripe about the new helmet after the fact that it lacks a gold facemask is that the 'W' decal makes the stencil line shiny. Should've gone with a fully cut and transfered decal to get rid of those spots or should've gone with the metallic finish

• Like 2
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

The Coms have not often been leotard users in the last several years. And, Nike has shown time and again that they usually pick the monochrome combos to show off in promos, then the team just does whatever they want when the pieces are handed off to them. We may frequently see tamer combos, like burgundy-white-burgundy, or white-burgundy-white. Alternatively, we may end up witnessing the worst case scenario because that’s what this franchise deserves in any case.

18 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

The Coms 

Can't get behind that nickname.  They'll always be the Rikers to me.

• WOAH 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."