NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

21 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

From what i understand, alt helmets can’t be used for more than one uniform set. Can’t change up throwback helmets and make them modern.

We need clarity on this.

According to the Falcons in this article, “Per the NFL, the revised policy allows teams to wear a second, alternate color helmet to pair with throwback, color rush or alternate uniforms.”

That doesn’t specify whether you have to pick one of those three categories or if they could do it in all three instances. Could they swap out decals in theory? Unsure.

The lines are getting blurred. I don’t even know if the the Falcons gradient set is considered a color rush or alternate. I guess you could have a team like the Texans with primary navy and white jerseys (navy helmets) but they could use an alternate helmet with either their alternate red jersey or their navy color rush with red numbers.

Confusing times.

It's a nice looking uniform for sure. (Of the red-helmet Falcons looks, I actually prefer this early version with the black jerseys compared to the all red 70s/80s iteration.) But being unintentionally forced into looking like the 90s Falcons because of the one helmet rule was an unexpected boon. I grew up in the 90s and I think that was the height of my NFL fandom, so of course that look resonates with me. And while what we've had for the past few years isn't a true 90s throwback, there's just something about the classic Falcon in black on black over a black jersey and white pants. Again, because of my own bias, I think the Falcons should be a black-forward team instead of red-forward.

Either way, I do like the red helmet too. So I'm not going to complain about that look or the aesthetics-based potential for the game against SF in October.

1 hour ago, BlazerBlaze said:

So if the verbiage from the bottom of the falcons article is correct: 

"Per the NFL, the revised policy allows teams to wear a second, alternate color helmet to pair with throwback, color rush or alternate uniforms."

It reads that you can't pair the alt lid with the standard home and away, not limited to one of the 3 options. 

The alternate color helmet will be paired with the throwback is how I read it. “Or” is the main word. 

Even if they replace all the decals and pair it with the gradient alternate (which would give the team three helmet designs)…that’s what, one or two games? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

To be honest, I’ve never loved the red helmet over the black jersey for the falcons. It’s an acceptable throwback, a classic football uniform but it’s nothing to drool over. I’d like to see them do one of the red jersey/helmet throwbacks.

• Like 2

It was reports a while back 15 teams made their intention known of using an alternate helmet this season.

Currently announced for 2022:
1. Commanders - Alt black helmet for alt black uniform

2. Eagles - Alt black helmet for alt black uniform

3. Falcons - Alt red helmet for throwback

4. Patriots - Alt white for throwback

That means there are 11 we don't know about for 2022. We can speculate but no others have been officially confirmed yet. Here are my guesses for the remaining  teams in 2022:

5. Bengals - White for "White out" look *

6. Bills - red will use with color rush in 2022 but likely change to use with 90's era throwback in 2023

7. Browns - White to pair with throwback (unsure if will go with faux leather look)

8. Cardinals - black to pair with color rush

9. Chargers - either navy or royal to pair with one of the 2 color rush options. Navy the most likely

10. Colts - blue to pair with throwback

11. Cowboys - white to pair with color rush (may be likely to introduce actual throwback in 2023)

12. Jets - black to pair with alt (but may change alt shell in 2023 to white for 60's era throwback)

13. Panthers - Blue to pair with alt

14. Seahawks - Lime to pair with alt (likely to change alt shell to silver and introduce throwback in 2023)

15. Titans - white for "white out" look (Likely will introduce Oiler throwbacks in 2023) *

* Now the way the policy was announced it seems this alternate shell has to be designated for use with alternate, throwback or color rush. Currently the Bengals and Titans whites are their standard light so I'm not sure if they can use alternate helmet shells with them. I am making the assumption they can.

Known 2022 plus additions/ changes for 2023 confirmed:

1. Buccaneers - White for throwbacks

2.  Commanders - Alt black helmet for alt black uniform

3. Eagles - Kelly green for throwbacks

4. Falcons - Alt red helmet for throwback

5. Patriots - Alt white for throwback

Likely others for 2023 not previously referenced:

1. Broncos - royal for orange crush throwback

2. Steelers - yellow for 40's or 50's throwbacks (2022 is the 5th year of the current throwback so they could change in 2023)

3. Vikings - Deep gloss purple for throwbacks

Chargers can't replace one or both of their 2 color rush options until the 2025 season.

• Like 3

Meh, I’d much rather the Falcons have a full ‘98 Dirty Birds throwback, or an 80’s throwback if they have to wear a red helmet. The gold stripes on the ‘66 red helmet drive me crazy and it’s all I focus on when they have worn it.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, canzman said:

That means there are 11 we don't know about for 2022. We can speculate but no others have been officially confirmed yet. Here are my guesses for the remaining  teams in 2022:

5. Bengals - White for "White out" look *

6. Bills - red will use with color rush in 2022 but likely change to use with 90's era throwback in 2023

7. Browns - White to pair with throwback (unsure if will go with faux leather look)

8. Cardinals - black to pair with color rush

9. Chargers - either navy or royal to pair with one of the 2 color rush options. Navy the most likely

10. Colts - blue to pair with throwback

11. Cowboys - white to pair with color rush (may be likely to introduce actual throwback in 2023)

12. Jets - black to pair with alt (but may change alt shell in 2023 to white for 60's era throwback)

13. Panthers - Blue to pair with alt

14. Seahawks - Lime to pair with alt (likely to change alt shell to silver and introduce throwback in 2023)

15. Titans - white for "white out" look (Likely will introduce Oiler throwbacks in 2023) *

* Now the way the policy was announced it seems this alternate shell has to be designated for use with alternate, throwback or color rush. Currently the Bengals and Titans whites are their standard light so I'm not sure if they can use alternate helmet shells with them. I am making the assumption they can.

Known 2022 plus additions/ changes for 2023 confirmed:

1. Buccaneers - White for throwbacks

2.  Commanders - Alt black helmet for alt black uniform

3. Eagles - Kelly green for throwbacks

4. Falcons - Alt red helmet for throwback

5. Patriots - Alt white for throwback

Likely others for 2023 not previously referenced:

1. Broncos - royal for orange crush throwback

2. Steelers - yellow for 40's or 50's throwbacks (2022 is the 5th year of the current throwback so they could change in 2023)

3. Vikings - Deep gloss purple for throwbacks

Chargers can't replace one or both of their 2 color rush options until the 2025 season.

Weren't the Seahawks throwback confirmed for 2023? Maybe I'm misremembering. 

For 2022 Alternate helmets, retailers are planning for Cardinals, Panthers, Bears, Texans, Saints, Eagles, and maybe Jets helmets to drop this summer. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Did the Falcons red helmet always have the gold trim on the stripe?

No. If I recall correctly, this was something they did as an expansion team to avoid alienating fans of Georgia Tech. Since the helmet was already in University of Georgia colors, the gold was added as a nod to Georgia Tech. Not sure exactly how long it lasted. 

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Weren't the Seahawks throwback confirmed for 2023? Maybe I'm misremembering. 

For 2022 Alternate helmets, retailers are planning for Cardinals, Panthers, Bears, Texans, Saints, Eagles, and maybe Jets helmets to drop this summer. 

2023 was hinted for a Seahawks throwback but never confirmed. As for 2022, I did list the Eagles as it was already announced and confirmed to be black for 2022, but changing to Kelly green for throwbacks next year.

Curious as to your source for retailers planning for Cardinals, Panthers, Bears, Texans, Saints and possibly Jets.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Did the Falcons red helmet always have the gold trim on the stripe?

For the first few years they did. It was a callout to Georgia Tech as a way to get college football fans on board. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Meh, I’d much rather the Falcons have a full ‘98 Dirty Birds throwback, or an 80’s throwback if they have to wear a red helmet. The gold stripes on the ‘66 red helmet drive me crazy and it’s all I focus on when they have worn it.

Dirty Birds looked so great. I’d like to see a throwback to the white uniforms in which they won the NFC Championship. The black home uniforms were good too, but the road look had incredible balance. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:26 PM, WSU151 said:

hmmmm... well seeing this list here are my thoughts...

Cardinals - most likely black

Panthers - Carolina blue, but I guess white or black is possible

Bears - most intriguing one on the list... white, orange or some type of faux leather are the only real options. Faux leather would not be brown likely but just a texture on the current throwback helmet design. They are still locked into the current throwback and orange alt for a few more years.

Texans - white or red, most likely red. I would not be surprised to see red pants added to create an all "battle red" look

Saints - black, white or alternate shade of gold. I am honestly unsure which way they go. My thoughts are white or alternate shade of gold.

Bengals - listed on the site but you didn't mention them. Most likely will be white, but I guess a 70's era orange throwback is possible especially if it is true the alt helmets have to be paired with an alt, throwback or color rush.

You stated the Jets but I do not see them listed as having a 2022 alt helmet on that site. If it happens based on the current set and if the pairing assumptions are accurate this would likely be black if it happens.

That is 10 confirmed teams with 5 actually revealed. Who will be the remaining 5?

Jets as you suggested, Cowboys, Colts, Bills, and Chargers?

On 6/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, aawagner011 said:

According to the Falcons in this article, “Per the NFL, the revised policy allows teams to wear a second, alternate color helmet to pair with throwback, color rush or alternate uniforms.”

I'm guessing it means a red shell, rather than the design itself. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png