NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

18 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

What purpose do they serve?  

Next question: Can they serve whatever that purpose is while occupying increasingly smaller spaces on ever-shrinking jerseys? 

No matter what you suggest their purpose is, the answer is going to be "no."

As someone who watches a lot of coaches film, especially for the Patriots, trying to identify defensive linemen in particular without the shoulder numbers is really annoying. I usually use things like sleeves, socks, and shoes to identify players before numbers for the Patriots, which is not the case for other teams. When guys are in a pile, having the numbers in an additional spot definitely helps with picking guys out. 

As someone who used to broadcast, too, I can attest to more numbers being a positive from that perspective. It helps when players turn at odd angles and you can't see their front or back clearly. They absolutely have a purpose. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Sport said:

And the TV numbers are very legible on the Packers. 

I don't take a hardline stance like our new friend thinks. Sometimes TV numbers are okay, but I'm also not going to argue that every football uniform must have them even when they're shrinking to a humorously small size like the Panthers and a couple other teams. One of my favorite football uniforms ever, actually, is the Eddie George era Ohio State with the champion numbers you could read from space. 

artworks-000311501199-5oh50e-t500x500.jp

ohio-state-linebacker-andy-katzenmoyer-s

But that was at a time when shoulder pad real estate was at its absolute peak in terms of size and you could get away with it. It looked cool because you had the space to pull it off. Even with the size of those numbers there's still space for the stripes and room for the numbers to breathe. These days the space is at least half of what it was back then and if a team wants to use that space for a design element like a series of stripes or a logo then the first thing I'm cutting is the TV number, which isn't and never has been an absolute necessity (IDK if you know this, but there's two very large numbers on the front and back of a football jersey).

If OSU went back to the correct sleeve stripes like the Good Dude intended then I wouldn't be bothered if they opted against TV numbers altogether or used the 68 throwback with the black TV number full-time. 

USATSI_8327515.jpg

This also makes me think of this early-80s Sports Illustrated cover of LT and Mark Gastineau, whose shoulders were practically billboards. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Sport said:

USATSI_8327515.jpg

This keeps coming up, but if Nike would just move their logo to the chestplate, there'd be enough room for TV numbers and full-length stripes (Pittsburgh), and maybe Carolina could still fit all three elements.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 2

16 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This keeps coming up, but if Nike would just move their logo to the chestplate, there'd be enough room for TV numbers and full-length stripes (Pittsburgh), and maybe Carolina could still fit all three elements.

I don’t think moving the Nike logo would make much of a difference for Carolina in particular, and it’s especially unnecessary when two out of the three elements (shoulder numbers, logo repeated from the helmet) aren’t really needed anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sport said:

And the TV numbers are very legible on the Packers. 

I don't take a hardline stance like our new friend thinks. Sometimes TV numbers are okay, but I'm also not going to argue that every football uniform must have them even when they're shrinking to a humorously small size like the Panthers and a couple other teams. One of my favorite football uniforms ever, actually, is the Eddie George era Ohio State with the champion numbers you could read from space. 

artworks-000311501199-5oh50e-t500x500.jp

ohio-state-linebacker-andy-katzenmoyer-s

But that was at a time when shoulder pad real estate was at its absolute peak in terms of size and you could get away with it. It looked cool because you had the space to pull it off. Even with the size of those numbers there's still space for the stripes and room for the numbers to breathe. These days the space is at least half of what it was back then and if a team wants to use that space for a design element like a series of stripes or a logo then the first thing I'm cutting is the TV number, which isn't and never has been an absolute necessity (IDK if you know this, but there's two very large numbers on the front and back of a football jersey).

If OSU went back to the correct sleeve stripes like the Good Dude intended then I wouldn't be bothered if they opted against TV numbers altogether or used the 68 throwback with the black TV number full-time. 

USATSI_8327515.jpg

If you make those number white and larger they look fine.

• Huh? 1

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

In most cases, I'd prefer shrinking it a bit and placing it inside the collar, but with the NFL shield being placed there, the shoulder cap is best. If there isn't room, I'd be fine with it being on the chest like it is in college football and other sports. My non-NFL football concepts always go shoulder cap first and collar if there isn't room.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Maybe it’s the lighting (and it probably is) but the Cowboys throwback (fauxback) helmet looks like a brighter blue than the previous iteration. More like the original uniform these are supposed to be a throwback to. 

I’m also of the opinion that these Power Ranger looking a** helmets look terrible.

• Like 4

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Maybe it’s the lighting (and it probably is) but the Cowboys throwback (fauxback) helmet looks like a brighter blue than the previous iteration. More like the original uniform these are supposed to be a throwback to. 

I’m also of the opinion that these Power Ranger looking a** helmets look terrible.

9b0c9a5724695cd119efda5ab01dc3c3--cowboys-l500.jpgywl5ioicerq5z9nwumco.jpg

VS

156902899.0.jpgxxx-uspw_5736412.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=15ee496c3-49ab-4134-8a05-90043f7a6d7b-AP_

• Like 2

I thought I saw somewhere that the Cowboys  would use this helmet both for the Thanksgiving throwbacks and for the color rush set, though neither are royal so I'm not sure what the deal is here.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Megazord ass helmet.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

11 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Megazord ass helmet.

*Megazord sequence HAS BEEN INITIATED...*

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Isn't it weird that we haven't seen the jersey yet? Everyone has assumed that the Cowboys were just bringing back the navy. The Giants are gonna be wearing blue in that game and the idea of Navy vs. Royal doesn't make any sense at all. Could the Cowboys be wearing white throwbacks as a surprise?

• Like 7

bSLCtu2.png

13 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This also makes me think of this early-80s Sports Illustrated cover of LT and Mark Gastineau, whose shoulders were practically billboards. 

spacer.png

I miss that background. In the 80s and early 90s, "downtown" was a black/purple/pink background with silhouetted, light-on buildings. It always made me feel like there was this whole separate world that happened at night, which was of course reinforced by a variety of workplace comedies and movies.

Now I know everyone just goes home by 5 p.m. and the only people in office buildings late at night are the cleaning crew. But still, I really enjoyed that aesthetic.

Also, "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson is a top 10 song to me and perfectly captures that era.

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Isn't it weird that we haven't seen the jersey yet? Everyone has assumed that the Cowboys were just bringing back the navy. The Giants are gonna be wearing blue in that game and the idea of Navy vs. Royal doesn't make any sense at all. Could the Cowboys be wearing white throwbacks as a surprise?

That would be interesting. Maybe? There is a lot of white on this uniform, so maybe a navy throwback vs. the Giants royal blue would contrast enough, but we'll see. I do agree it's strange that we haven't seen the throwbacks at all, although the Cowboys have seemingly indicated it's the old throwbacks from last decade, also judging too from their pro-store and the jerseys they sell. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Apparently the Texans have begun early exploration on updating their uniforms. I would put Houston firmly in the category of solid, modern uniforms that could so very easily be tossed aside for the next Nike monstrosity. The article says fans have been clamoring for new uniforms but a lot of times, you don’t realize how good you have it until you’re wearing a gradient with wordmarks down the leg and shiny trim. I would be happy if they stuck with what they have.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/how-the-battle-red-helmet-inspired-a-texans-uniform-change

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It has to be the navy throwbacks, because the uniform had to be in last year's style guide for them to pair it with the new alt helmet. That's why we aren't seeing Bucco Bruce or the royal Seahawks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Apparently the Texans have begun early exploration on updating their uniforms. I would put Houston firmly in the category of solid, modern uniforms that could so very easily be tossed aside for the next Nike monstrosity. The article says fans have been clamoring for new uniforms but a lot of times, you don’t realize how good you have it until you’re wearing a gradient with wordmarks down the leg and shiny trim. I would be happy if they stuck with what they have.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/how-the-battle-red-helmet-inspired-a-texans-uniform-change

I would be happy with either swapping the Red jersey to primary so you have Navy/Red/White as your main combo, or the Red helmet as the primary helmet, and go Red/Navy/White. Something to break up all the navy. It just looks so dingy most of the time. I like the design, but... something to freshen it up would be nice. 

• Like 3