2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

22 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Lou’s like “Fine, we’ll use that stupid fisherman logo again. But make the jerseys even uglier than the first time, so people hate it even more.” 

I wouldn’t say it’s uglier, it’s just so different they will not have the nostalgia kick that they would have had before

32 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Same user also posted this

spacer.png

Very disappointing

Of course Lou wouldn't even let them have too much fun with the Fisherman. This just looks like a modified version of the Rangers' first Lady Liberty RR design with orange instead of red.

22 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I really doubt this, but I hope they go with a 1995 throwback and not a 1993 throwback because I want to see the shoulder patches. Maybe frame it as a 2003 jersey, but I don't know if any of the other RR's were in middle of years as opposed to being the first year of the jersey.

The Penguins’ RR 1.0 was one of the few that was a middle-year with no championship (‘97). The Wings (‘97 or ‘98), Stars (‘99) and Lightning (‘04) had RRs that were based off championship years but jerseys were mid-cycle.  I want updated Ducks shoulder patches too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

28 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Light blue in the background stripe but not on the jersey? 🙄

Light blue is in the logo.

The logo without the big I and S looks really weird. I think someone brought that up when the t-shirts were leaked but it looks worse on the jersey.  

I’m just amazed the Isles jersey is considered RR considering it really has no strong ties to anything worn previously.  No shoulder patches, the waves are way different, the yoke is way different, the logo is different…this is just a new alternate. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The second leak today...adidas should skip the lame teasers and just unveil all of them.  

Strangely good? In fact, reversing the black and blue to the main jersey and full-length yoke somehow made the jersey good, alongside removing red from added cleanliness (because the original jersey made red itself throwaway colour despite being part of Columbus' colour palette.

Otherwise, I'll go for the double blue colour scheme that worked well with their branding, as evidence by their current fauxback.

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Very disappointing

That's both times that the Islanders have had a good chance to make a solid Reverse Retro, and they went the same route both times: draining the character out of the look and making it navy. This could have been one of the best with the RR theme, and they actually went through more work draining it of life than just flipping the main color to orange or teal.

• Like 7

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

40 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

That's both times that the Islanders have had a good chance to make a solid Reverse Retro, and they went the same route both times: draining the character out of the look and making it navy. This could have been one of the best with the RR theme, and they actually went through more work draining it of life than just flipping the main color to orange or teal.

i f***ing hate being a fan of this team so much

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Very disappointing

at least last year's RR was a good lens into how good the modern Isles would look if they went back to navy full-time. this is just... bad. it gives me the exact same energy as the Ducks' 25th anniversary jersey.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

17 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

it gives me the exact same energy as the Ducks' 25th anniversary jersey.

I'd disagree, because that at least had effort put into its design, and generally managed to capture the intent it was aiming for as a melding of their history. This...is just the Fisherman but stripped of literally everything that made fans want it back in the first place except for the logo.

Both times the Isles have had a chance to do something interesting, and both times their answer has been the same damn thing; navy with orange and white stripes. It'd be hilarious if it weren't simultaneously so indicative of how lazily they're treating this entire idea. Especially when so many other teams have done really bold and out-there ideas.

• Like 3

let me echo the sentiment that the isles RR (if legit) is a massive whiff.

i'm going to reserve full judgment until i see the final product today, but i think they made it worse.

• i don't mind the logo re-color
  • i'm okay with the wave being more horizontal slant than the wave because it harkens back to the prototype that kaspar wore in the unveiling photo.
  • two big failures here:
  1. not having the bottom stripes finish all the way to the hem to make the full bottom orange (like it is in the prediction mock up). 
  2. creating a phantom yoke by not having a contrasting color up top and having the wave act as shoulder piping. it's more reebok edge than it should be.

i, too, agree that they could have gone with a teal jersey base here and really had a wow factor. or even just gone with white, which would have looked much, much cleaner.

i'll be happy to change my mind when we see it today. but i have a feeling i won't. 

sig2024.png

11 hours ago, CrookedThumb said:

Sorry if someone already posted this.  Looked back three pages and didn’t see anything about it.

I'm really hoping for a gray body of the jersey since the original jersey's yoke was gray, but my guts telling me it'll be white.

I don't get the sudden love for the fisherman, it was ugly af in the 90s, and would still be ugly today, at least the straight lines are an improvement over the original design that looked like it was design on an acid trip. Same goes for the Duck's original RR design.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

creating a phantom yoke by not having a contrasting color up top and having the wave act as shoulder piping. it's more reebok edge than it should be.

To be entirely fair, the original fisherman did technically use a phantom yoke design.

islanders-logo.jpg?quality=75&strip=all

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1

6 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

To be entirely fair, the original fisherman did technically use a phantom yoke design.

islanders-logo.jpg?quality=75&strip=all

absolutely, you're right , on the navy it did (true yoke on the white). but it also had the shoulder patches, which filled the space better (and that era's tailoring was such that the shoulders weren't as much of a defined space as reebok and then adidas made them, ya know? 

• Like 2

sig2024.png