2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

Ah yes, throwing it back to 2010's Corporate Memphis.

That'll be the new Blackhawks logo, a leftward-facing chartreuse and lavender blob writing an email

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, Digby said:

Wouldn't doubt Seattle as a market at this point, but the NHL has been pretty clear about positioning the Winter Classic with the legacy teams, pond hockey, snowy cities, etc. It's right there in the name. It's why Washington and Dallas felt a little odd too, and now it's an even more awkward fit with literally the two newest franchises considering how the game has almost always been O6 or close to it.

If this was a "Stadium Series" game I don't think nearly as many people would bat an eye.

Trying to figure out a Vegas uniform for this seems like a challenge -- lots of fun design inspiration in vintage Las Vegas design culture, but does any of that translate to an old-timey hockey sweater with a felt crest?

iAxcCSx.png

I (for my senior exhibition Winter Classic project) went with the Las Vegas (hockey) Outlaws. One of a few minor league teams that's called Vegas home. Feels like an avenuethe actual team could work with. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/stte/las-vegas-outlaws-6523.html

AmPJ0Ty.png 

46 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think that Fenway is a perfect Winter Classic venue that won't get old for me, but otherwise yeah -- I don't mind rewarding new markets, I'm just not super convinced that fauxback is the best aesthetic for either of these teams or the ballpark, but now that expectation is set. Maybe we can do "pond hockey in the Cascades" or something. 

I love this idea. Take a page from MLB's Field of Dreams cornfield concept and build a hockey rink in the woods. It's probably impractical, but I'd tune in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I love this idea. Take a page from MLB's Field of Dreams cornfield concept and build a hockey rink in the woods. It's probably impractical, but I'd tune in. 

I thought the covid-year Lake Tahoe thing was great. Most of these big stadiums look the same anyway (Fenway being a relative outlier). That was a much cooler and more adaptable setting as far as "NHL in weird outside places" goes. Sadly now seems unlikely to happen again, when you can get 40 or 80 thousand people to pay hundreds of dollars for cold, horrible sightlines.

• Like 5

“If you build it they will come” 

If the MLB could do it, the NHL could try lol. Picture the Wings vs the Hawks on the Shores of Lake Michigan surrounded by bleachers for 20,000+? Or the Jets and the Wild on Lake of the Woods. I mean if the Wild, Bally Sports North, and the Minnesota State High School league can do it once a year, who’s to say the NHL couldn’t do it bigger and better? 

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

If we're going that route, then they need to do Oilers-Flames at Lake Louise.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hurricanes wore red helmets with their white jerseys against the rangers. Interesting… didn’t there used to be a mandate for white helmets with white jerseys? It certainly seems to have been relaxed in previous years… I know there were some RR combos with dark helmets + white jersey. 

Hurricanes seem willing to experiment with their jersey base + gear combos. Makes me wonder if they will try red pants with black jerseys or something weird like that.

Also makes me wonder about other teams changing it up when it comes to gear…. Preds yellow helmet and yellow breezers on the road? Sharks teal helmet on the road? It works well I think on teams with bright / unique colors. “Alternate” gear colorways like nfl teams playing mix and match with helmets and pants? If that ever happens, give the kraken some light blue gear for the road… sign me up 

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think that's a non-starter because Lake Louise in the national park, so there's a bunch of governmental hoops the NHL would have to jump through.

Apparently, the government had restrictions on ads on the ice as one of the reasons it didn't happen in 2021.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, Ridleylash said:

That probably has something to do with the fact that the Pirates had relocated to Philly and folded well before Boston switched to black and gold, so there was no franchise in Pittsburgh to complain about the Bruins going from brown and gold to black and gold.

Not to mention the Pirates had already changed colors twice by the time they relocated; once to blue and gold, another to black and orange.

Not sure the Pirates would have (hell, at that time we had three RWB teams - Rangers, Americans, and Habs), but whatever the case, Boston's whole argument in 1980 was historical precedent, and the Pens countered that Pittsburgh technically had those colors first. It is fun, though, to think about the butterfly effect of if the Pirates never left Pittsburgh and folded. Would they have stayed black/gold? Blue/Gold? They likely would've changed the name, but to what? Is the Igloo ever built? Do the Bruins ever change to black/gold? Etc, Etc...

As for Seattle/VGK, I said it in another thread - I fully expect the Kraken to ignore the Metropolitans and look like some generic nautical decoration from a department store you see hanging in a beach house at the Outer Banks. And about the venue - I know the whole point of outdoor games is to be... Outdoors... But how cool would it be to have VGK, the Stars, or Kings, or Wild, etc. host a game in one of their cities' NFL stadiums?

oBIgzrL.png

8 hours ago, maz said:

Not sure the Pirates would have (hell, at that time we had three RWB teams - Rangers, Americans, and Habs), but whatever the case, Boston's whole argument in 1980 was historical precedent, and the Pens countered that Pittsburgh technically had those colors first. It is fun, though, to think about the butterfly effect of if the Pirates never left Pittsburgh and folded. Would they have stayed black/gold? Blue/Gold? They likely would've changed the name, but to what? Is the Igloo ever built? Do the Bruins ever change to black/gold? Etc, Etc...

As for Seattle/VGK, I said it in another thread - I fully expect the Kraken to ignore the Metropolitans and look like some generic nautical decoration from a department store you see hanging in a beach house at the Outer Banks. And about the venue - I know the whole point of outdoor games is to be... Outdoors... But how cool would it be to have VGK, the Stars, or Kings, or Wild, etc. host a game in one of their cities' NFL stadiums?

I don't remember where I read it, it might have been in this thread, but the Kraken were asked about why they didn't use the Metros for their Reverse Retro uniforms and they said something to the effect of "keeping all their options open".  The Kraken had to know they were getting the Winter Classic ahead of time so it doesn't seem like they'd ignore the Metros for the Winter Classic. 

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png