2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Everybody laughed when they brought on some hypebeast designer to help with their brand.

I'm still laughing because anyone who is described as a "hypebeast" should never be allowed near a major professional sports team's uniforms or logo.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This is just their alternate in different colors and a few minor design tweaks, the :censored:? If they wanted something new and not just the '94 styled skate, just do something new. Do an 80's jersey if you want to keep the Skate around, or hell even a WHL homage or a 2000's design if you just want a complete break from the Skate look.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

13 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

It reminds me of what the Sens just did with their primaries. Went back to the logo everyone wanted, but changed the rest of the design so now its just a sub par version of the original. I don't hate it... I just wish it was the original skate jersey.

I've always liked the idea (in theory at least) of bringing back an old jersey and fixing a few minor details or quirks to make it less dated but teams obviously can't be trusted with that

Like Pittsburgh for example, their 80s set with the 12 different striping patterns should have been fixed before being brought back as full time jerseys imo.  If they had brought it back as a pure 80s throwback to be worn a handful of times then I can live with the dated quirks for accuracy's sake but that's not the case.

The only teams that have done it right off the top of my head are Buffalo (both the current home/away set and Goathead alternate were updated/modernized tastefully) and Arizona (the original collars looked ridiculous and were almost turtlenecks but they had the good sense to leave everything else alone). There are probably more examples but more often than not, the general rule of thumb if you're bringing back an old beloved uniform is to leave it UNTOUCHED! Half assing things to please everyone ends up never really pleasing anyone at all

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

It reminds me of what the Sens just did with their primaries. Went back to the logo everyone wanted, but changed the rest of the design so now its just a sub par version of the original. I don't hate it... I just wish it was the original skate jersey.

I mean if you're doing a throwback-esque rebrand I don't have a problem with making some tweaks to the design. This feels more like the Kings current alternate. Both teams had been using straight throwbacks, then decided to make a weird alternate that sort of looks like the throwback.

57 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I just hope this stays as an alternate. They don’t need to ditch the blue and green again to look like Calgary or Vegas.

I'd be surprised if that happens. Between all the alternates, throwbacks, and reverse retros the league has allowed lately, teams are able to have their cake & eat it too when it comes to throwback identities. 

• Like 1

It's got a weird detail on the yellow sleeve stripes I guess to be a V.  It's basically a mashup of the team's original jersey with the Skate colours.  At least it doesn't have some ugly collar.  Should have just gone with a white version of the Skate jersey they had been wearing for the past few seasons.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:47 AM, M4One said:

NHL Coaches for the All-Star game were announced along with the division logo.  More and more likely that the all-star jerseys will be in vice colours.

spacer.png

Icethetics posted today that the All-Star jerseys are going to be the mid-'90s "star" jerseys, recolored with hot pink and aqua, orange RR shield at the neck. Solid approach to it.

As for the Canucks, I don't get it. Why screw up your throwback just enough.to make it a technically new jersey that looks worse? This looks like a failed Reverse Retro attempt.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

As for the Canucks, I don't get it. Why screw up your throwback just enough.to make it a technically new jersey that looks worse? This looks like a failed Reverse Retro attempt.

To sell more jerseys.  Also, it's the Canucks.  This is what they do, making questionable decisions about just about everything.  Getting harder and harder to be a fan these days.  

I do like the deletion of white in the logo, though.

• Applause 1

Am I the only one who thinks that jersey isn't that bad? It fits right in with the faux-retro vibe their current previous alternate had. Plus, we're getting the Fanatics brand mockup of the thing. I'm sure it'll look better once it's unveiled on the actual players.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Am I the only one who thinks that jersey isn't that bad? It fits right in with the faux-retro vibe their current previous alternate had. Plus, we're getting the Fanatics brand mockup of the thing. I'm sure it'll look better once it's unveiled on the actual players.

In a vacuum, no its not that bad. However its being compared both to the previous version of that uniform, and the modern day colours, of which its a downgrade from both. But this is also the same organization that got rid of their pants stripes this year for no discernible reason other than wanting to look worse, so it seems like the Canucks are just trying to look worse for the sake of looking worse.

• Like 2

I guess the two-color scheme isn't terrible but IMO inferior to the green/orange.  Interesting that after the revival of the popular Kachina logo theyd go with text - anything to make a buck, I suppose.  IMO worst downgrade is the hem pattern- the original is just worlds better than this.

• Like 1