2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

Not a fan personally of black with the North Stars colors, but I think part of the issue is it's used way too thinly in the logo and numbers. Makes it feel like a distracting afterthought versus an intentional part of the design. 

This:

KOyKXFn.png

Works better than this:

VMH_Jerseys_MinnesotaNorthStars_29.jpg

(Fixed the striping to be consistent while I was at it)

And maybe not on a black base, but I've always liked the gradient stripes on this prototype:

VMH_Jerseys_MinnesotaNorthStars_18.jpg

Would be an interesting RR3.0:

o6NQdwV.png

With the current colors I wish they would have a consistent color hierarchy on the homes. Red is relegated to a barely visible highlight color when it should be the secondary color. The Wild are green/wheat at home and green/red on the road, on different templates to boot. Pick one or the other!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

An unpopular opinion but I didn't care for either of the Wild's Reverse Retro jerseys. Something just feels off about them. I'm in the boat of the Wild sticking with their current identity. It would be a shame to lose it over dressing up as the North Stars.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:17 PM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

If they did want to appease the whole North Stars crowd this jersey in the Wild's current color scheme would be a nice compromise as an alternate. There's just enough going on with the different stripes that it can easily be converted into the Wild's palette. Honestly what their Reverse Retro jersey should have been.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, gsn93 said:

If they did want to appease the whole North Stars crowd this jersey in the Wild's current color scheme would be a nice compromise as an alternate. There's just enough going on with the different stripes that it can easily be converted into the Wild's palette. Honestly what their Reverse Retro jersey should have been.

I’ve been bouncing this idea around in my head the last day or two. I’ve seen a couple concepts trying this in different ways. It’s also trending toward their Stadium Series uniform. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

my personal favorite:

spacer.png

it certainly would need proper execution to really work, but they could pull it off easily. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, B-mer said:

Oh hell, just saw that @StevenGrant94 pretty much got it covered lol. 

spacer.png

Vintage white helmets 🤮

This is why vintage white away uniforms will never work

spacer.png

It would just remind me of dingy old appliances yellowed by years of grease and cigarette smoke. No thanks

And pairing dark helmets with light jerseys is also a bush league move, they'd just look like a low budget minor hockey team that can't afford two sets of helmets

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Minnesota North Stars (1976 - 1988)Minnesota North Stars (1989 - 1991)

Especially at the small scale of these thumbnails I ganked from the mothership, the black outlines are useful. Of course, the North Stars rolled this change out haphazardly because North Stars management was always kind of dumb, but they had the right idea in there somewhere.

I grew up in Minnesota and recall really liking it when they began to add touches of black to the uniform. I agree with those of you who said the addition of black pants was unnecessary. 

If anything, I'd prefer the black be used more subtly. While it might have been a tertiary color, the way the North Stars applied it to the sleeve striping was way too heavy. 

Like @the admiral said, the black served a purpose to add definition to the look. But a little goes a long way. 

On the comparisons to the Texans, I brought up a similar question in the NFL uniforms thread where we're talking about the possibility of them adopting light blue. The one thing about the Wild is that, good or bad, the team has been widely embraced in Minnesota, to the point where it's surpassed the Timberwolves and, at times, the Twins in popularity.  Do the Texans hold the same stature in Houston? If they're not, then the Texans motivation to tapping into nostalgia would be more about trying to build excitement for a bad team. The Wild have never had trouble building excitement; for them, this is all about the tug of nostalgia being strong. 

On 1/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

And 7) New franchise has zero chance of getting back original franchise name and logo.

The Wild name needs to go, even at the expense of one of the most creative logos in sports. Going with a far more suitable major pro sports name, if not the North Stars v.2, while using  some form of green and yellow/gold(without black) should be the order of the day in Minny. I still love the "Northern Lights" with the updated N.

Losing a beloved name and brand is one thing. Replacing it with a horrible name and with colours fighting for primary status is an insult to injury, no matter how creative the primary logo is.

• Dislike 2

4 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Wild name needs to go, even at the expense of one of the most creative logos in sports. Going with a far more suitable major pro sports name, if not the North Stars v.2, while using  some form of green and yellow/gold(without black) should be the order of the day in Minny. I still love the "Northern Lights" with the updated N.

Losing a beloved name and brand is one thing. Replacing it with a horrible name and with colours fighting for primary status is an insult to injury, no matter how creative the primary logo is.

Tell that to Dallas and see if they would accept having another team call the Stars, because they're sure as hell won't.

Also, they could keep the Wild name and go back to their old North Stars colour scheme if they want to, since these two identities are not mutually exclusive.

20 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

This is why vintage white away uniforms will never work

spacer.png

It would just remind me of dingy old appliances yellowed by years of grease and cigarette smoke.

Screw you, son. Vintage white jersey rocks just as well as regular white jersey. I'm a sucker for them.

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1

16 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Screw you, son. Vintage white jersey rocks just as well as regular white jersey. I'm a sucker for them.

Vintage white is a meme, and a trend that's overstayed its welcome and stay polite, old man lol

Besides, I'm not saying you can't have a home jersey with vintage white on it, if it's just a trim color it looks alright. I'm just saying the away jersey has to be pure white or you end up in the same situation as the Rams when they wear bone and it just looks like a dingy white uniform that's never been washed

@seasaltvanilla demonstrated a few replies earlier why cream helmets don't work. It looks absolutely disgusting and just looking at it makes me feel ill

So the only other option is a dark helmet and it looks amateurish

• LOL 1

On 2023-02-02 at 12:45 AM, seasaltvanilla said:

The problem with a wheat away jersey is the helmet mismatch looks awful.

cut.jpg

And why the hell have white??

That's an arguement against shoddy colour matching if it's actually possible to get a half decent match for the helmet and the jersey. If thats the best the company making the helmets can do, then yeah, then just go with white or a pale colour they can actually match.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:31 PM, spartacat_12 said:

So the Chiefs uniform "thrives in its simplicity", by using basic yellow & white stripes on a red jersey + block numbers, but the Flames uniform is boring & generic? I understand people here are going to have differing opinions, but it just seems like you're contradicting yourself here. 

Also, what exactly did black bring to the table for the North Stars? This wasn't a Los Angeles Kings situation where they rebranded around black-focused uniforms. They literally just took their home jersey and added a couple black stripes & some outlines to the logo & numbers. They didn't even bother making the green uniform match until 7 years later. That's about as BFBS as it gets.

Btw, when I first posted the report about the Wild I mentioned that I want them to keep their current colour scheme, so I'm not saying that everyone needs to go back to the '60s.

The Chiefs are bad example of anything...  From the neck up they are a red, white and black team.  From the neck down they are a red, white and yellow team...

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

On 2/2/2023 at 6:56 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Vintage white is a meme, and a trend that's overstayed its welcome and stay polite, old man lol

Besides, I'm not saying you can't have a home jersey with vintage white on it, if it's just a trim color it looks alright. I'm just saying the away jersey has to be pure white or you end up in the same situation as the Rams when they wear bone and it just looks like a dingy white uniform that's never been washed

@seasaltvanilla demonstrated a few replies earlier why cream helmets don't work. It looks absolutely disgusting and just looking at it makes me feel ill

So the only other option is a dark helmet and it looks amateurish

The problem with the Rams is that they didn't incorporate bone into any elements of the brand other than the away jersey. They also made the mistake of having pure white design elements on an off-white jersey, which just makes it look even dingier. I think if you have a full uniform set that uses vintage white instead of actual white it can work. I really loved the old Quebec Remparts set, which was based on the old Wild alternate, although they used black helmets with both uniforms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

The Chiefs are bad example of anything...  From the neck up they are a red, white and black team.  From the neck down they are a red, white and yellow team...

Well if it were up to me they'd remove all the black from their logo/helmets.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2024 ASG is in Toronto.

• Meh 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/1/2023 at 6:29 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

And pairing dark helmets with light jerseys is also a bush league move, they'd just look like a low budget minor hockey team that can't afford two sets of helmets

i thought these looks were pretty classy idk

USATSI_17891870-scaled-e1647684615665.jp

cut.jpg

the wild's road jersey, just like both of the ones above, is in a fauxback style. it could totally work in a vintage way, if that makes sense.

• Like 5

The all star jerseys are nice on their own, but it's a little tough to tell which team is which sometimes with everyone wearing black helmets, white gloves and the same socks. At least in '95, one team was purple and black and the other was white and teal. I feel like they could've made the two conferences a little more distinguishable. I think if the east had pink bottom/back of their jerseys, it would help.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1