2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 minutes ago, uniformity said:

I don't live in Calgary now but based on the ppl I know fans definitely wanted a return to and lobbied for the reverse retro. Its a bit of stretch to say that the 2004 jersey was massively more popular than it. It definitely was popular in 2004 because it replaced some pretty awful jerseys including the pedestal and the black horse head thing which didn't make a lot of sense as a home jersey. The edge jerseys were definitely a step backwards.

jersey that flames didnt like was this one This incredibly unique Calgary Flames jersey concept provides an  interesting take on the team's logo - Article - Bardown

17 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Let's test that, shall we? How's about we look at photos of the crowds in Calgary and see if that holds up;

spacer.png

Plenty of black C jerseys here, wow. More than the retros, in fact. But it's just one, let's try to increase the sample size with another sample;

spacer.png

Huh. Also a lot more black C jerseys than retros. Ah, but it's just two photos, right? Let's keep going, maybe I'm missing some images.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Heck, let's throw in a photo from this past May;

spacer.png

....huh. You know, there's a lot more black C's in the Saddledome then I would've expected if the retros were so thoroughly obliterating them in terms of local popularity.

not sure what year those pics where taken. but I have brother in Calgary and said he Seens more retro look in city then other jersey. could been those. sales at time that I know of that retro look sold more then the old home 

15 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Let's test that, shall we? How's about we look at photos of the crowds in Calgary and see if that holds up;

spacer.png

Plenty of black C jerseys here, wow. More than the retros, in fact. But it's just one, let's try to increase the sample size with another sample;

spacer.png

Huh. Also a lot more black C jerseys than retros. Ah, but it's just two photos, right? Let's keep going, maybe I'm missing some images.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Heck, let's throw in a photo from this past May;

spacer.png

....huh. You know, there's a lot more black C's in the Saddledome then I would've expected if the retros were so thoroughly obliterating them in terms of local popularity.

I count 17 black Cs to 12 retros in the last photo. It's definitely popular but it's hard to say what's more popular from a photo. Not every fan is going to go put and spend $400 on a new jersey right away. I think it's safe to say fans were not enamored with the edge jerseys and wanted a change. Without a survey we can't really say what they would want their team to wear on ice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, uniformity said:

I count 17 black Cs to 12 retros in the last photo. It's definitely popular but it's hard to say what's more popular from a photo. Not every fan is going to go put and spend $400 on a new jersey right away. I think it's safe to say fans were not enamored with the edge jerseys and wanted a change. Without a survey we can't really say what they would want their team to wear on ice.

yeah thats true, some fans might want old jersey bc its cheaper. hard say, but I have brother in city says he see lots of retro look, so who knows. just bc they have lots black see still worn doesnt me its liked more then the retro look.

the flames used the black c exclusively for nearly ten years, and used it as a primary logo for over fifteen. the white c has only been a sporadic alternate since 2013, save for the last year or two.

could explain why there are so many black c jerseys. i dunno.

• Like 7

Maybe the Flames black C isn't more popular, maybe it's just that a lot of fans haven't yet felt the need to drop a couple hundo on the new jersey yet? This is just me, but I still wear a CBJ third jersey from 2004. It has the same primary logo on it as the current unis, but they haven't worn this particular sweater since 2007. I take a "ehh close enough" approach. 

• Like 8

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Here's Icethetics 2022-23 Jerseywatch. Personally not a fan of it being a 21 minute video instead of an article, but hopefully it'll get turned into one later.

I still think a white and orange '93 Mighty Ducks jersey is what we'll be seeing for the Reverse Retro, but it's interesting that he focuses on a white version of the current third instead - but the only way that even fits the retro theme is if they call it a 2015 throwback. I guessed about them maybe testing the waters this way earlier in the thread, but admittedly that's also wishful thinking on my part.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

31 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

I still think a white and orange '93 Mighty Ducks jersey is what we'll be seeing for the Reverse Retro, but it's interesting that he focuses on a white version of the current third instead - but the only way that even fits the retro theme is if they call it a 2015 throwback. I guessed about them maybe testing the waters this way earlier in the thread, but admittedly that's also wishful thinking on my part.

Chris from Icethetics also reported that the reverse and retro part of some teams new Reverse Retros seem to bend those rules. Like Vegas’s leaked RR. So maybe it’s a reverse of the current alt for the Ducks 🤷🏻‍♂️

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

well that was a very anticlimactic jersey unveiling

That's what we get for the jersey being leaked so early. Leaks, admittedly, are nice and generates excitement, but sometimes it's gone overboard that a team can't get to launch a new jersey in an ideal manner.

What's the best way to deal with this then? 

51 minutes ago, TheRealPepman said:

That's what we get for the jersey being leaked so early. Leaks, admittedly, are nice and generates excitement, but sometimes it's gone overboard that a team can't get to launch a new jersey in an ideal manner.

What's the best way to deal with this then? 

why not unveil it like it was intended? I don't see how a leak should affect the process that much. release professional photos/videos of the entire uniform and get out the information to people who aren't in the loop at all times of potential leaks. maximize excitement and audience for the ultimate goal of jersey sales and money

• Like 2

The NHL is in the worst of both worlds, where online fans are re-embracing the terrible aesthetics of the late '90s and early 2000s that people hated at the time while embracing the small southern markets that people at least had the good sense to resent at the time. Jerking off over both the fire-snorting horse and the entire Carolina Hurricanes organization is just, man, never thought I'd see the day.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This a weird thing to get annoyed about but “C of Red (tiny font) lives here” is such a bizarre slogan. “C of Red” is really all you need, why is the “lives there” even necessary? Where else would it live? But another shout out to whatever marketing company decided five years ago to give like 60% of sports teams color-based slogans.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins