2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

15 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Like...I love Toronto. I've been through Toronto Pearson more times then I care to remember. I cannot tell you what the carpeting is like. I think it's maybe grey? Or blue? I donno. I'm not paying attention. 'cause it's carpet

I couldn't tell you what any other airport carpet looks like, including my local airport. Portland made theirs a thing. That's the whole point. 

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

People need to stop holding up Wikipedia and Twitter as some sort of standard here. I don't even let my students cite Wikipedia in their research papers.

I mean, I wouldn't run a government election on Twitter, but if some concept goes wild on Twitter by orders of magnitude more than others, safe to say it resonated for whatever reason. Same with Wikipedia; I'm not gonna assume they have the Pantone shade of the teal right but if it's the world's only carpet pattern with its own article, that's not nothing!

11 minutes ago, Jamesizzo said:

I think his point is that due to it having a Wikipedia article, that makes it have some significance, even if you disagree. I do agree with you that the uniforms look ugly however.

This is a very reasonable post.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Jamesizzo said:

Okay, as a teacher I can see why you think that then

Like I've never been to St. Louis, but I know of the arch. I've never been to Philly but I know of the Liberty Bell. I knew about the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Plaza and the Golden Gate Bridge long before I ever made it to NYC or San Francisco.

The idea of this carpet at Portland's airport being "special" or "a landmark" like... look. I don't know what everyone's interests are, and if you knew about this carpet before people started talking about it as a basis for a NBA jersey, good for you. But insisting on its importance and chastising someone for "not knowing about it" seems like a REAL stretch.

No. I didn't pick up the Carpets of North American Airports coffee table book. My bad I guess.

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

I mean, I wouldn't run a government election on Twitter, but if some concept goes wild on Twitter by orders of magnitude more than others, safe to say it resonated for whatever reason. Same with Wikipedia; I'm not gonna assume they have the Pantone shade of the teal right but if it's the world's only carpet pattern with its own article, that's not nothing!

My questions about Wikipedia all hinge on who makes these decisions. Could I take a picture of Tampa's airport carpet, throw it up there with a blurb, and... who's to make these decisions? Peer review exists for a reason and that it's not part of Wikipedia's ecosystem is a huge mark against it.

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

I couldn't tell you what any other airport carpet looks like, including my local airport. Portland made theirs a thing. That's the whole point. 

I know you took issue with me using this word but, I'm sorry. It's how I feel. The idea of carpet at an airport being a "thing" strikes me as dumb. It really does.

6 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

But is not me who came here and screaming "It's dumb!" because of  unknowledge so yeah whatever. Over and out.

That you- and anyone else- are pulling "lol I can't believe you're so ignorant about the carpet at the Portland airport" makes me feel like I'm trapped in a Twilight Zone episode. It's just bizarre. No. I've never heard of it.

• Yawn 1

9 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm Jewish my guy. I've dealt with passive aggressiveness on levels you can't even fathom. Either shut it or put up.

I guess my point is that Wikipedia shouldn't be held up as some universal standard of notoriety or significance. 

Alright then, not for the first time I’ll just say that I think your argument is dumb and incredibly ignorant. Same thing as your disdain for the “RipCity” nickname. 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just now, upperV03 said:

Alright then, not for the first time I’ll just say that I think your argument is dumb and incredibly ignorant. Same thing as your disdain for the “RipCity” nickname. 

And I'll say I think you're being incredibly thin skinned and petulant for assuming my unfamiliarity with your hometown's airport carpet, or some niche nickname, means I have something against you, your team, or Portland.

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

And I'll say I think you're being incredibly thin skinned and petulant for assuming my unfamiliarity with your hometown's airport carpet, or some niche nickname, means I have something against you, your team, or Portland.

Not knowing about the carpet beforehand? That’s fine, I’m sure a lot of people didn’t know about and/or don’t know about still. I just think it’s childish and, to borrow a phrase from you, “thin-skinned” to go back to the same “it’s dumb” rhetoric over and over again even after people like @Digby and @pepis21 have explained its significant and relevance to Portland and why it was an appropriate theme for this year’s City Edition. Same thing as your disdain for the “RipCity” nickname; even after I and several other folks on here explained how it was something that came about and grew naturally, “it’s dumb” was really your only prevailing argument.

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Not knowing about the carpet beforehand? That’s fine, I’m sure a lot of people didn’t know about and/or don’t know about still. I just think it’s childish and, to borrow a phrase from you, “thin-skinned” to go back to the same “it’s dumb” rhetoric over and over again even after people like @Digby and @pepis21 have explained its significant and relevance to Portland and why it was an appropriate theme for this year’s City Edition. Same thing as your disdain for the “RipCity” nickname; even after I and several other folks on here explained how it was something that came about and grew naturally, “it’s dumb” was really your only prevailing argument.

I think that the explosion of uniform media, for lack of a better term, has tricked people into thinking everything needs to mean something. Why do the Dodgers wear red numbers on the front of their jerseys when everything else is blue? 'cause it looks good, and someone realized that back in the day and made it happen. But if it came out these days? There would be a paragraph about how it represents "the passion of Los Angeles" or "the SoCal sunset" or "the red brick of the Bradbury building." It's all so ridiculous. Whatever happened to "well we thought this would look good so we did that"?

A side effect of this is that people think criticism needs to be deep. Certain NHL fans were insistent on that. "You don't like this jersey? BUT YOU LIKE THIS OTHER THING THAT'S LIKE IT! Explain!"

And it's like... "no man, I just don't like this."

And that's where I'm at here. The colour scheme of the PDX jersey is nice, and fitting for Portland... but unfortunately we have ~50 years of Blazers basketball in red, black, and white that make teal and forest green not particularly appropriate. So on a base level? I just don't like it.

Which is where the "dumb" stuff comes from. It's me just not overthinking any of this. I hear "the airport carpet is a big deal" and my first response is "what the heck?" It strikes me as... well... dumb. I'm sorry. I don't mean to insult you or your city or your team even... but that's my honest reaction. I've never heard of the idea of making carpet a local "landmark," much less this specific case, and it's just very, very odd to me.

And to then take that and tie it into a uniform that, frankly, clashes with the team's established identity? It's just more reasons I dislike it.

I'm sorry my critique wasn't more nuanced for your tastes, and I'm truly, legitimately sorry if anything I've said made you think I had anything against you personally, your hometown, or your team. I don't. At all. It's just my opinion on uniforms. That's all.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I think that the explosion of uniform media, for lack of a better term, has tricked people into thinking everything needs to mean something. Why do the Dodgers wear read numbers on the front of their jerseys when everything else is blue? 'cause it looks good, and someone realized that back in the day and made it happen. But if it came out these days? There would be a paragraph about how it represents "the passion of Los Angeles" or "the SoCal sunset" or "the red brick of the Bradbury building." It's all so ridiculous. Whatever happened to "well we thought this would look good so we did that"?

A side effect of this is that people think criticism needs to be deep. Certain NHL fans were insistent on that. "You don't like this jersey? BUT YOU LIKE THIS OTHER THING THAT'S LIKE IT! Explain!"

And that's where I'm at here. The colour scheme of the PDX jersey is nice, and fitting for Portland... but unfortunately we have ~50 years of Blazers basketball in red, black, and white that make teal and forest green not particularly appropriate. So on a base level? I just don't like it.

Which is where the "dumb" stuff comes from. It's me just not overthinking any of this. I hear "the airport carpet is a big deal" and my first response is "what the heck?" It strikes me as... well... dumb. I'm sorry. I don't mean to insult you or your city or your team even... but that's my honest reaction. I've never heard of the idea of making carpet a local "landmark," much less this specific case, and it's just very, very odd to me.

And to then take that and tie it into a uniform that, frankly, clashes with the team's established identity? It's just more reasons I dislike it.

I'm sorry my critique wasn't more nuanced for your tastes, and I'm truly, legitimately sorry if anything I've said made you think I had anything against you personally, your hometown, or your team. I don't. At all. It's just my opinion on uniforms. That's all.

Nothing you’ve said has legitimately made me think you had something against me, Portland, the Blazers, etc. My one “did somebody from Portland hurt you as a child” post was meant in jest but in retrospect in poor taste. 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

That you- and anyone else- are pulling "lol I can't believe you're so ignorant about the carpet at the Portland airport" makes me feel like I'm trapped in a Twilight Zone episode. It's just bizarre. No. I've never heard of it.

I mean, I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode when people react as if this is an unthinkable City Edition jersey. This was one of the first ideas I thought was coming when the whole City thing started up. I'm honestly surprised the Blazers took this long to get to it.

The point isn't knowing the world's airport carpets or the minutiae of cities you have no connection to. My reaction is when I see people reacting to this like it's Nike overreaching to parody levels, or that there's no way any Blazers fans would have been clamoring for this one -- I'm just trying to point out, this isn't because Nike's new schtick is lifting airport decor, this specific concept for Portland comes from somewhere, it's nothing new, and now you know. Adidas and Damian Lillard drank from this same well for his sneaker 8 years ago.

I'm not saying you have to like that it's raining, I just don't wanna hear that it's preposterous to suggest that it's raining at the same time my hair's getting wet.

• Like 10
  • Yawn 1

4 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Man, this place is going turn into a war zone when someone makes a uniform of the jazz cup pattern...

I have to point out that this, too, has a Wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(design) 

Unfortunately, any geographic links are tenuous at best. Maybe like the o.g. Orlando Arena was the first building to get them and so the Magic will steal this idea. Just spitballing.

• Like 4

I love coming here to see people argue their opinions, but I feel it only works when you don't state your opinion as fact.

"I've never heard of it, therefore it is dumb" is being stated as if it's a fact. It isn't.

How do you learn about things if your mind is so closed to hearing other points of view? It's totally cool to say "Yeah, I guess it IS iconic and unique to that city, I never knew about that, I still think it's ugly." I don't understand why someone wouldn't accept that it means something to someone else and that matters, whether it's a flag or carpet or toilet or national anthem.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I think that the explosion of uniform media, for lack of a better term, has tricked people into thinking everything needs to mean something.  Whatever happened to "well we thought this would look good so we did that"?

This. Not every uniform choice needs a deep, superficial meaning. Just point out the details that are on the jersey and call it a wrap. There's nothing wrong for liking something because you like it. And there's nothing wrong for disliking something because you don't like it.

I highly doubt that when any of you pick what shirt to wear, your thinking about how the "red threads signify the passionate blood in your veins." You wore it because you liked it and/or it fit the occasion. Simple as that.

Simplify The Simpsons GIF

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I think that the explosion of uniform media, for lack of a better term, has tricked people into thinking everything needs to mean something.

The motif that started it all.

Minnesota-Wild-symbol.jpg

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

They finally made all of the City sets available in NBA 2K23, and with it, the courts that are dedicated to them are able to be used as well. Teams that have a specific court include:

Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Cleveland, LA Clippers, Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, New York, Dallas, Brooklyn, Denver, Detroit, Toronto, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Minnesota, Golden State, and Washington.

To note; Miami, Charlotte, New York, Brooklyn, Toronto, and Houston are reusing previous courts. The Clippers and Denver only swap their half-court logos. Detroit swaps mid-court logos and baseline design slightly.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm not saying you have to like that it's raining, I just don't wanna hear that it's preposterous to suggest that it's raining at the same time my hair's getting wet.

Oh please 🙄

I'm saying it sucks that it's raining and your attempts to rationalize why it's not so bad are lacking. 

4 hours ago, Digby said:

The point isn't knowing the world's airport carpets or the minutiae of cities you have no connection to. My reaction is when I see people reacting to this like it's Nike overreaching to parody levels, or that there's no way any Blazers fans would have been clamoring for this one -- I'm just trying to point out, this isn't because Nike's new schtick is lifting airport decor, this specific concept for Portland comes from somewhere, it's nothing new, and now you know.

There are two levels here. 

One- I think making carpet "a thing" is strange, and not in a quirky way. In a "that's just weird" way. 

Two- I think using it as a basis for a jersey is dumb. 

Trying to carpetsplain to me just makes me think you're desperate to prove something. What? I donno, to be honest. But I never thought I'd be in a situation where someone was trying so hard to convince me I should have known about carpet in an airport I've never been to. 

I'm sorry my boring as :censored: suburban Ontario upbringing didn't introduce me to this carpet's majesty. How sheltered and uncultured my youth was. 

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm honestly surprised the Blazers took this long to get to it.

Probably because up until relatively recently the league didn't burn through alternate concepts, making it only just now that we've exhausted all other options for alternate designs. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 2

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Oh please 🙄

I'm saying it sucks that it's raining and your attempts to rationalize why it's not so bad are lacking. 

There are two levels here. 

One- I think making carpet "a thing" is strange, and not in a quirky way. In a "that's just weird" way. 

Two- I think using it as a basis for a jersey is dumb. 

Trying to carpetsplain to me just makes me think you're desperate to prove something. What? I donno, to be honest. But I never thought I'd be in a situation where someone was trying so hard to convince me I should have known about carpet in an airport I've never been to. 

I'm sorry my boring as :censored: suburban Ontario upbringing didn't introduce me to this carpet's majesty. How sheltered and uncultured my youth was. 

Probably because up until relatively recently the league didn't burn through alternate concepts, making it only just now that we've exhausted all other options for alternate designs. 

I gave this a like just for the term "carpetsplain".

• LOL 2

5 hours ago, eRay said:

I love coming here to see people argue their opinions, but I feel it only works when you don't state your opinion as fact.

"I've never heard of it, therefore it is dumb" is being stated as if it's a fact. It isn't.

How do you learn about things if your mind is so closed to hearing other points of view? It's totally cool to say "Yeah, I guess it IS iconic and unique to that city, I never knew about that, I still think it's ugly." I don't understand why someone wouldn't accept that it means something to someone else and that matters, whether it's a flag or carpet or toilet or national anthem.

Quoting, because I don't understand the hostility to the PDX carpet. Most airports don't have a carpet that is beloved by locals, but PDX did.

As we have ever-increasing monoculture, I think local weirdness should be celebrated.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags