2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

To be fair, it's a very kind and deserving gesture, certainly. But I feel as if this is usually a circumstance where they'd name a trophy after someone rather than retiring their number, and I'm afraid the NBA is all out of relevant trophies to name. 

The NBA Finals MVP is already the Bill Russell Trophy.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The NBA Finals MVP is already the Bill Russell Trophy.

that seems like a fitting tribute - that’s a pretty special award. It’s like being put on national currency.  Unless Jordan gets cancelled, they can put his name on something special too (maybe it already is and I don’t know). 

Do the conference finals trophies have names of people? Maybe the ECF trophy becomes the Jordan trophy and the WCF the… someone else trophy?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

that seems like a fitting tribute - that’s a pretty special award. It’s like being put on national currency.  Unless Jordan gets cancelled, they can put his name on something special too (maybe it already is and I don’t know). 

Do the conference finals trophies have names of people? Maybe the ECF trophy becomes the Jordan trophy and the WCF the… someone else trophy?

Starting this past year for the 75th Anniversary they actually renamed a bunch of the Finals Trophies:

Eastern Conference Champions get the Bob Cousy Trophy

Western Conference Champions get the Oscar Robertson Trophy

Eastern Conference MVP gets the Larry Bird Trophy

Western Conference MVP gets the Magic Johnson Trophy

NBA Releases Redesigned Playoff Trophies, Introduces Two New Awards – SportsLogos.Net News

• Like 4

Those are great choices for names. I think with maybe the exception of Gretzky and maybe Lemieux (since their numbers were rare and 1:1 associated with them), having a big-deal award named for you is a bigger tribute than the Pelicans retiring #6. 

If anything, retiring 99 actually protects future players, since anyone who would choose to wear it would be instantly compared to Gretzky and almost certainly never live up to that. But that’s about the only case I can think of (maybe Lemieux, who was the best hockey player I’ve ever seen live, and back in the day I went to lots of games and saw all the greats of early-mid 90s, but falls short of Gretzky on the all-time list). 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The color scheme never looked out of place in Washington to me. If anything, I’d argue it fit Washington. I truly think the Wizards (and Capitals) should’ve kept it. I’m really stoked to see it back for the Wizards this year.

Would’ve loved to see the Nationals try out the color scheme. It would look so nice on a baseball uniform if done well. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Those are great choices for names. I think with maybe the exception of Gretzky and maybe Lemieux (since their numbers were rare and 1:1 associated with them), having a big-deal award named for you is a bigger tribute than the Pelicans retiring #6. 

If anything, retiring 99 actually protects future players, since anyone who would choose to wear it would be instantly compared to Gretzky and almost certainly never live up to that. But that’s about the only case I can think of (maybe Lemieux, who was the best hockey player I’ve ever seen live, and back in the day I went to lots of games and saw all the greats of early-mid 90s, but falls short of Gretzky on the all-time list). 

Even if the NHL hadn't officially retired 99 I can't imagine anyone would've had the stones to actually ask for it. And even if they had, my guess is most teams wouldn't have issued it. Just look at the debate that went on 5 years ago when Josh Ho-Sang wore 66 in honour of Lemieux.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-wearing-no-66-anything-ultimate-respect/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Would’ve loved to see the Nationals try out the color scheme. It would look so nice on a baseball uniform if done well. 

that would have been great. Their initial road was kinda like that and had they lightened the blue and committed to the DC cap but in Caps/Wizards colors, they would have looked amazing. Maybe drop the red altogether and replace with black. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, Germanshepherd said:

Vastly prefer the later version with the lighter gold, but this is a fun throwback. 

The modern slim fit jersey looks so much better on players than the 2000s baggy look did.  This and the Warriors "We Believe" throwbacks looked amazing on the new slim fit templates.

• Like 10

i'm in the camp of taking Bill Russell's number out of circulation then league wide retirement * (now Jackie Robinson number 42 being retired league wide since what he did transcended sports)

*would also include Wayne Gretzky's number being taken out of circulation 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Just now, goalieboy82 said:

i'm in the camp of taking Bill Russell's number out of circulation then league wide retirement * (now Jackie Robinson number 42 being retired league wide since what he did transcended sports)

*would also include Wayne Gretzky's number being taken out of circulation 

sooner or later this will happen:

YARN | All the whole numbers have been retired. | Futurama (1999) - S04E10  Comedy | Video clips by quotes | bedcbad5 | 紗

• Like 2

so long and thanks for all the fish.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Overall, kinda a minor league move by the NBA, IMO. We can celebrate Bill Russell without making him Jackie Robinson.

At this point, you should just be grateful that retiring #6 leaguewide didn't have a presenting sponsor.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Even if the NHL hadn't officially retired 99 I can't imagine anyone would've had the stones to actually ask for it. And even if they had, my guess is most teams wouldn't have issued it. Just look at the debate that went on 5 years ago when Josh Ho-Sang wore 66 in honour of Lemieux.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-wearing-no-66-anything-ultimate-respect/

4669_4.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

jNTsTyQ.png

On 8/12/2022 at 7:44 AM, WSU151 said:

So they did it after he died, because who cares what he said when he was alive? 

I think it was George Washington or someone who said that they did not want to be on currency or something similar.   I don't see people complaining about Washington being on currency or coinage until only recently due to him owning slaves, even if he did set them free eventually. (Or was that Abe?  I really need to pay attention in school.)  Point is that people do it either to promote the league and make money or do it with good intentions (or both) so whether he wanted it or not, just like Oscar nominations and Oscar snubs, it will lead to conversation about the man and his legacy on and off the court.  I feel like Kareem also did a lot off the court so maybe the league would also retire 33 someday, even if it is definitely a PR move.  To that I say, so what?  Add another digit or two and you'll have thousands more to choose from.  Want 7377?  You got it.  Want 420?  Sure.  Want 2022?  Granted.  Want 0000?  Oooh, that's cool!  It's a gesture and I think it's tasteful. People don't own numbers and if people want to wear it, then wear it, but not if they want to play in the league.  Start their own league, if they'd like.  The NBA sucks anyways.  But maybe he was just being humble.  Either way, people in soccer and Olympic basketball wore number 6.  Ditto with the NFL.  There are plenty of numbers left to choose from, but there was only one Bill Russell.  He did good.  Rest in Power.

Russell didn’t want his number retired in Boston not out of humbleness but because of the city’s virulent racism. He was famously loyal to the Auerbach-era organization itself, which always supported him, not the city or the fans. It says a lot that the team and city rebuilt enough bridges that, in the 90s I think it was, they eventually had a second retirement ceremony that actually had fans in the building, and that Russell became a regular presence in Boston in his later years (and now he is rightly considered one of the city’s Rushmore athletes, not an uppity black man.)

Splitting hairs over what constitutes a sufficient civil rights contribution for this honor seems uncouth. It’s a worthy thing to retire the number. Though I like that logo idea someone mentioned.

• Like 5

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Funny how everyone absolutely despised these and were clamoring for RWB. And now look.

Last year's city jersey was the perfect basis for the Wizards. The copper accents and lighter blue work well. It's also a good bridge between the Bullets, the early Wizards, and the modern RWB Wizards.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fortunat1 said:

Last year's city jersey was the perfect basis for the Wizards. The copper accents and lighter blue work well. It's also a good bridge between the Bullets, the early Wizards, and the modern RWB Wizards.

FDHseTQXoAYuhsS.jpg

Fans of all 3 eras would be happy with this.

• Like 7