2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

Won't happen in modern times but Washington could do well to go back to simple boring block type. Current one is fine for the wordmark but the numbers are spindly and tough to read. Previous one is too whimsical and Disney even for that era. Just make it block! 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

FDHseTQXoAYuhsS.jpg

Fans of all 3 eras would be happy with this.

There comes a point wherein too much is too much...and that there is about at point (as several of those "mixtape" alts were). While that's probably one of the best royal blue/red applications I've seen anywhere, the copper is just too much plus it gets lost against the red.

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

Won't happen in modern times but Washington could do well to go back to simple boring block type. Current one is fine for the wordmark but the numbers are spindly and tough to read. Previous one is too whimsical and Disney even for that era. Just make it block! 

Yeah, Imma go with "no" on this one. Block doesn't really connote the idea of "whimsy" or "magic" that goes with a nickname like "Wizards", especially in present day and age.

(Also, total aside, but I just now realized we have two NBA teams nicknamed for whimsy: the actual Magic, and then wizards, who [can] use magic.) 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 8/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Finally, the Wizards look like the Wizards again. Stop trying to be the Bullets and bring these back full time!

This identity was solid and highly underrated.  Bullets stripes are iconic but frankly awful. Reminds me of 1920s men's swimwear.

Wouldnt mind blue gold primaries with rwb stripe alts.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

There comes a point wherein too much is too much...and that there is about at point (as several of those "mixtape" alts were). While that's probably one of the best royal blue/red applications I've seen anywhere, the copper is just too much plus it gets lost against the red.

Yeah, I see your point. I originally though there was no copper on it until I saw the NBA Jersey Database's verion of it. Maybe if they used more of a yellow-er gold (like they used during the Arenas era), it could work, but as you mentioned, the jersey it too much as is.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Yeah, Imma go with "no" on this one. Block doesn't really connote the idea of "whimsy" or "magic" that goes with a nickname like "Wizards", especially in present day and age.

(Also, total aside, but I just now realized we have two NBA teams nicknamed for whimsy: the actual Magic, and then wizards, who [can] use magic.) 

Ironically, the Magic suffer from that same issue: their identity looks too corporate. 

orlando_magic_logo_primary_20117178.png

8ac962d99f94cf02cea81d7ca30899afa2368614

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Fine by me, "Wizards" was a short-sighted and regrettable name change from the start that doesn't fit the team. Come to think of it, it's kinda funny that their most memorable non-Jordan moment as the Wizards was a handgun controversy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, LAL_BITW said:

I blame the Nets and their Jean-Michel Basquiat inspired City Edition uniforms for this latest trend of utilizing local artists. Now other teams will look to follow suit …but while it might work for the Nets, it may not work for other teams. Not feeling the Wolves attempt based on a Bob Dylan mural 

Mavs & Suns leaks. Not feeling these either

NYCdog.png

10 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Funny how everyone absolutely despised these and were clamoring for RWB. And now look.

I absolutely despised the name, logos, and design, but liked the colors.

7 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

That's what happens when the generation that grew up with the Wizards wearing Blue & Gold has become adults now. 

I grew up with the RWB Bullets (mostly the solid-color jerseys, not the striped ones) but this team isn't the Bullets, and it doesn't make sense for them to wear Bullets uniforms.  I'd rather them change the name altogether and start from scratch, but since that's not going to happen, reverting to slate/black/gold is a nice start.

Sometimes it works when you change your name/logos and keep the same colors.  Guess it depends on how much equity you have in them.  By the end, the Bullets were an irrelevant team.  Even when they were really good in the late '70s, they were overshadowed by more other teams in the East.  I can't speak for Bullets fans so I might be totally off base, but while I'm sure the name change wasn't popular, all other things being equal, I doubt the color change was a huge deal.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, BBTV said:

Other than not issuing #6, are teams going to be forced to "acknowledge" this by hanging banners?  Specifically, are the Sixers going to need to hang a second #6 banner next to Dr. J's... or would they be in compliance since 6 is already retired?

I don't think so. All NHL teams not named the Oilers AFAIK don't have a Gretzky 99 banner.

My Flames don't have them at the Dome for sure.

I’m gonna be that guy for a second, so apologies ahead of time. I see people in the thread calling the Wizards color “copper” and “gold”, but according to them, the official name for the colors of these are “slate blue” and “bronze”. 

• Like 6

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

7 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I don't think so. All NHL teams not named the Oilers AFAIK don't have a Gretzky 99 banner.

My Flames don't have them at the Dome for sure.

Well there’s a Gretzky banner in Los Angeles…but I think that’s the only other place. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Discogod said:

So the Wolves have had Prince and now Dylan inspired unis?

I can't wait for the inevitable Hüsker Dü themed uniforms. 

Once they run out of music ideas (there's still Judy Garland), we'll end up with Mary Tyler Moore-inspired city editions. 

5 hours ago, Chawls said:

I’m gonna be that guy for a second, so apologies ahead of time. I see people in the thread calling the Wizards color “copper” and “gold”, but according to them, the official name for the colors of these are “slate blue” and “bronze”. 

Slate blue, huh? Oooook. 🤨

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

6 hours ago, Chawls said:

"Copper" is the shade you see above. They changed it in 2007 to the "gold" shown below so that they could have the gold alternate jersey.

20091216-002041-pic-38628041.jpg