2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah this ugly mix of piping and random panels is what I had in mind when I said I was scared of a Y2K resurgence ahah. To be fair, it's not quite Y2K, though. The real, overbearing and universal turn-of-the-millennium trend was the darkening of pre-existing colour schemes. The piping nonsense came a few years later

Man, I feel you. About the ONLY thing I like about early-aughts fashion is the emphasis on metallic colors and fabrics. 

For what it’s worth, adding side panels was already a thing then, as the 1997 Broncos and 2000 Rams updates demonstrate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Man, I feel you. About the ONLY thing I like about early-aughts fashion is the emphasis on metallic colors and fabrics.

Same! I liked when teams used shimmer fabric and sparkly tackle twill on the name and numbers. Those aren't so common now

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

For what it’s worth, adding side panels was already a thing then, as the 1997 Broncos and 2000 Rams updates demonstrate. 

True. They just took it several steps further by the mid-late-00s when Reebok took over the NHL, or when the Falcons and Cardinals changed their jerseys. The Sixers and T-Wolves jerseys posted earlier are also very good examples of the piping and randomly shaped side panel madness

The powder blue/gold color scheme for the Nuggets never, ever looked right to me. They looked like a team that moved from Southern California to Denver right before the season started, but didn’t have enough time to change thier colors or uniforms. I don’t think it helped matters that they immediately followed an identity that was much more “rugged” for lack of a better term and fit a miner theme really well, as opposed to looking a bit too “fun in the sun” by comparison. I don’t know, it just never clicked for me the way it did for others.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I liked it originally when it was dominant powder blue and white with some royal blue and gold accents, but then they wussed out and became another navy/gold team and it was much less fun.

I hated the prior Nuggets uniform. Not really rugged, just kind of dull.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

I get the dislike for 2000's NBA jerseys, as some jerseys just aren't meant to see the light of day again, but there are some significant (and less appalling) jerseys that will get the throwback nod in the coming years/decades.

CuWmqp8.jpg

okpJnkA.jpg

Throw in the NJ Nets and the AI-era Sixers if you want to bridge the 90's-00's gap as well.

As 2000's nostalgia develops I'm sure that some other jerseys will gain popularity and make their return. These jerseys aren't perfect, but throwbacks aren't going to disappear in the coming years, so you'd better get ready to see some of these return to the court.

Those Nuggets uniforms are a great example of how much better some designs were in dazzle material. Some current uniforms would benefit from having a shine to them. I also miss satin baseball jackets. Those were sweet

• Like 5

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The powder blue/gold color scheme for the Nuggets never, ever looked right to me. They looked like a team that moved from Southern California to Denver right before the season started, but didn’t have enough time to change thier colors or uniforms. I don’t think it helped matters that they immediately followed an identity that was much more “rugged” for lack of a better term and fit a miner theme really well, as opposed to looking a bit too “fun in the sun” by comparison. I don’t know, it just never clicked for me the way it did for others.

When the Nuggets went to double blue and gold, with light blue as the main hue, everyone thought it was because (then Nuggets GM and UCLA alum) Kiki VanDeWeghe wanted to bring UCLA colors to the team, so the California vibe isn’t far off. 

The mid-to-late 90 set was wildly popular in Denver for a few years (thanks to the 1994 miracle and overachieving teams), but then 7-8 years of just awful teams made it a tired look. I always liked the navy, crimson, vegas gold palette and its nod to the city/state colors of blue, red, gold. The spiked numbers were far better than the plain Aachen Bold of the 2000s.

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I liked it originally when it was dominant powder blue and white with some royal blue and gold accents, but then they wussed out and became another navy/gold team and it was much less fun.

I completely forgot about that one season where they downplayed the powder blue. That was terrible. It was like erectile dysfunction of a brand.

827873140.jpg?w=1024

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Dislike 1

bSLCtu2.png

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

The prior Nuggets uniform had an intriguing color scheme that they never properly utilized. Had they brightened either the red or the copper, that by itself would’ve  made it pop a bit better. 

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I completely forgot about that one season where they downplayed the powder blue. That was terrible. It was like erectile dysfunction of a brand.

CCSLC Post of The Day.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

When the Nuggets went to double blue and gold, with light blue as the main hue, everyone thought it was because (then Nuggets GM and UCLA alum) Kiki VanDeWeghe wanted to bring UCLA colors to the team, so the California vibe isn’t far off. 

The mid-to-late 90 set was wildly popular in Denver for a few years (thanks to the 1994 miracle and overachieving teams), but then 7-8 years of just awful teams made it a tired look. I always liked the navy, crimson, vegas gold palette and its nod to the city/state colors of blue, red, gold. The spiked numbers were far better than the plain Aachen Bold of the 2000s.

I always say the same thing when talking about this, their current set its best and fits them best because it nods to the flag and also red and gold just work with the name nuggets, and blue is a color that you just can't remove from their branding. I grew up in Colorado and I never liked the powder blue and yellow, they never felt like a Colorado team to me. Their rebrand in 2018 changed all that to me, especially with the Mile High City jersey. 

There's never been a great Nuggets identity. The rainbow skylines are their best because you're like "hmph, well, that's certainly interesting," but even that never truly hit the mark. They've always needed a color palette they could truly call their own, but never had it. Maybe using the Avs' colors would have been the winning play.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There's never been a great Nuggets identity. The rainbow skylines are their best because you're like "hmph, well, that's certainly interesting," but even that never truly hit the mark. They've always needed a color palette they could truly call their own, but never had it. Maybe using the Avs' colors would have been the winning play.

Although, give them credit for functionality. When rainbow is your color, you can say every color is in your palette. 

I saw big potential there for the Marlins! Pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, black, grey, all together, opens up a ton of avenues. Basically just no purple or fire-engine red.

I think the name handicaps the Nuggets. It refers to gold nuggets, but when most people think of nuggets, they think weed or chicken. (Or poop, if you remember your Owen Hart angles.) But it's been a long, long time since they've unambiguously built an identity around gold. Should they, could they? I'm not sure. I just know that nothing has ever fully worked. And it's a silly word. "ugg" is an inherently funny sound.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 5:53 PM, eRay said:

I can't wait until every jersey is eventually a throwback, complete with huge fans on twitter posting "🔥🔥🔥"

spacer.pngspacer.png

That Orlando look gets way too much flack IMO. It's plain, but they've looked worse.

And I will stand by the TWolves set forever, perhaps with the exception of that collar. They ruined it the next season by taking out the green.

Cavs have already flipped back to metallic gold, I could see teams switching trends again and going with darker, less vibrant looks a la the aughts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Avs, Nuggets, and Rapids using the same colors would have been too much. Rapids should still be using green and blue. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

I saw big potential there for the Marlins! Pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, black, grey, all together, opens up a ton of avenues. Basically just no purple or fire-engine red.

I think the name handicaps the Nuggets. It refers to gold nuggets, but when most people think of nuggets, they think weed or chicken. (Or poop, if you remember your Owen Hart angles.) But it's been a long, long time since they've unambiguously built an identity around gold. Should they, could they? I'm not sure. I just know that nothing has ever fully worked. And it's a silly word. "ugg" is an inherently funny sound.

You're 100% right. "Nuggets" has an inherent silliness or, to be more polite, whimsy that seems out of sync with a brand aimed at being taken seriously. 

I didn't hate the '90s Mutombo-era navy and gold, but I'm probably only saying that due to nostalgia for the era.  

I think there's a middle ground to be had by re-introducing the '80s mountain guts aesthetic but with a simplified color scheme that puts gold in the mountains as an accent color. It could easily veer into novelty, I realize, but if handled right could be great. 

• Like 1

I loved the powder blue and yellow Nuggets, but the logo package they have now is the best they have had. The uniforms are just very meh, with the Statement royal blue being the nicest one, while not totally perfect either.

This was an excellent uniform for the current brand and in general:

EwIv142VoAE55tG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 7
  • Applause 1