New Jersey Devils

I have a feeling that this set might have a love/hate dynamic haha. I used the unused logo from 1982, with some slight modifications. Nothing is wrong with the current logo, I just kind of like this one a bit better. Of course I brought back the green, and I used the uniform style for the home, and matched it on the away. One might say, the black numbers feel out of place, but with the amount of black on the logo, it felt off not having black anywhere else on the uniform, but I also didn't want black to be prominent in the striping either. So I compromised with the numbers and equipment. Similar to what the Avalanche used to do I guess.

spacer.png

For the alternate, in my personal opinion, I think I improved the design that the Devils released this year. I kept the similar striping pattern but added some actual colour, I also created a new logo that doesn't just say 'Jersey' so it can't become a meme, together with the state outline.

For the city uniform, I may have mailed this one in a little bit haha. But because I went back to the green and red look, I thought a city jersey for New Jersey could be a throwback to the uniform they wore when they won the cup in 1995. (And also wore until 2016) And maybe because I also couldn't think of a solid idea for the city jersey. The flag colours and design didn't present very many options. It's probably my least creative city jersey, but I'm willing to have a couple of those in the series.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - New Jersey Devils (18/32)

I'll be the first to admit that New Jersey won't be one of my favourites in this series. So why don't we just move along to a concept that is one of my favourites...

New York Islanders

I'd say it's a pretty popular choice to go back to the Fisherman logo. You really either love it or you hate it. But I'm all in favour of the Islanders going back to this look, if anything to stand out further from the rest of the league. It's unique and I think that's what the NHL needs a bit more of. Not saying every team should bring back past looks for sake of uniqueness, but maybe it's something the Islanders should do. I cleaned up both the primary and shoulder logos with the minor details, that you might not notice without looking close. I also updated the wave striping on the home and road set. One of the worst things ever done with the previous Fisherman uniform was the numbers that followed the waves. It looked messy. That's gone. Back to a regular, legible number and name font.

spacer.png

For the alternate, I brought back the NY logo which I actually love quite a bit. It also comes along with a familiar striping pattern, with a bit of teal added in. 

The city uniform focuses on Long Island, with my slightly modified Islanders logo, their current primary that features the shape of Long Island. The gradient came about by accident but I really liked how it looked, so I thought why not. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - New York Islanders (19/32)
On 4/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

I must ask, is this something Tampa fans would want? I'm not sure what to make of this lol, but it would present a creative challenge to take this on for a city uniform for the Lightning. Definitely something I could try to work into the uniform set for Tampa Bay😅

Hah, I think our very colorful flags are more tongue and cheek. I've done a concept for the Rowdies using the St. Pete flag that looked super cool with the rainbow hoops. But if you want to be steered in any direction by someone who's a local, the Gasparilla jerseys they wore for warmups in January was really well received!

Really good work on the last two!

• Like 1

Don’t know enough to speak for the location, but the city jersey is my favorite take on the four stripes alt that the team loves to run with. I’d make the number solid just so it looks cleaner, but I think the rest is a good example of how to make a gradient work without it being overwhelming.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 6:40 PM, VyCade said:

I too enjoy the fisherman logo, but I doubt I'd be brave enough to bring back that striping pattern. 😅

I tried to really simplify that striping pattern, but I like the wave pattern, it's just so different from the rest of the NHL and I love when teams are unique. Like the Hurricanes warning flag pattern. Unique. 

New York Rangers

It's time to get semi controversial haha. Not really, but I think there might be some Rangers or hockey fans that will really hate the changes I made to the Rangers uniforms. And maybe many that will love it, those who hate word marks on uniforms. The Rangers word mark is a timeless classic, so maybe it's time to cement that part of history and move on to a more modern look, and actually use their primary logo on the uniform for the first time in a long time. I kept the jersey striping intact except I removed the busy striping on the shoulders for the road uniform. I didn't think it added enough, and really makes it feel super busy. I ever so slightly tweaked the Rangers crest logo, and if you can spot the difference, I'll be slightly impressed. (without comparing side by side to their current logo)

The Rangers home and road look is a classic, but maybe a slight change like this is long past due. It is for me, and that's why this series is My Ideal NHL haha.

spacer.png

Once upon a time I saw a logo concept for the Rangers that replaced the grey with the actual green colour of the Statue of Liberty. So I used that idea. I don't remember where I saw it, but I won't take credit for that idea. The alternate is pretty much a replica of the former Liberty jersey, with the green replacing grey. It's a no brainer for an alternate uniform.

For the City uniforms, the diagonal script returns! I couldn't keep it away for too long. I including the striping from the logo on the front to act like a sash as well. The arm and waist striping, as well as the star on the shoulders is a tribute to the New York Americans uniforms. And it's hard to see, purposefully, but on the arms, there is a light grey silhouette of the Statue of Liberty on the right, and a silhouette of the One World Trade Center on the left. Two architectural icons in the city of New York. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - New York Rangers (20/32)
2 hours ago, TrueNorth13 said:

New York Rangers

It's time to get semi controversial haha. Not really, but I think there might be some Rangers or hockey fans that will really hate the changes I made to the Rangers uniforms. And maybe many that will love it, those who hate word marks on uniforms. The Rangers word mark is a timeless classic, so maybe it's time to cement that part of history and move on to a more modern look, and actually use their primary logo on the uniform for the first time in a long time. I kept the jersey striping intact except I removed the busy striping on the shoulders for the road uniform. I didn't think it added enough, and really makes it feel super busy. I ever so slightly tweaked the Rangers crest logo, and if you can spot the difference, I'll be slightly impressed. (without comparing side by side to their current logo)

The Rangers home and road look is a classic, but maybe a slight change like this is long past due. It is for me, and that's why this series is My Ideal NHL haha.

spacer.png

Once upon a time I saw a logo concept for the Rangers that replaced the grey with the actual green colour of the Statue of Liberty. So I used that idea. I don't remember where I saw it, but I won't take credit for that idea. The alternate is pretty much a replica of the former Liberty jersey, with the green replacing grey. It's a no brainer for an alternate uniform.

For the City uniforms, the diagonal script returns! I couldn't keep it away for too long. I including the striping from the logo on the front to act like a sash as well. The arm and waist striping, as well as the star on the shoulders is a tribute to the New York Americans uniforms. And it's hard to see, purposefully, but on the arms, there is a light grey silhouette of the Statue of Liberty on the right, and a silhouette of the One World Trade Center on the left. Two architectural icons in the city of New York. 

spacer.png

I have always loved the Rangers actual logo and it works great here. The Alternate with the green in there looks great. The only miss for me is the city uniform. If you're gonna go for a throwback look I would throwback more directly to an old Rangers uniform; that way wordmark Ranger fans get their traditional jersey. Not saying it's bad; it just doesn't do it for me

ZUH86xc.png

Ottawa Senators

Up next is the Senators. Their most recent rebrand/uniform update was pretty disappointing for me. Don't get me wrong, it was 1000% better than their previous set, but that doesn't mean it was good. I was unimpressed with the lack of an update to the logo or uniform design. I went with something new, using ideas I think everyone uses for Sens uniform concepts. I used their greatest logo they never really used. I know Sens fans hate it for some reason, but design wise, it's the best logo they've ever released. The only thing I changed on the logo was making the arrow type details on the gold a darker shade of gold to match the pattern I put on the uniform. I also brought back the Peace Tower logo for the shoulder patch. If anything, I maybe didn't include enough red on the home and road, but I was pretty pleased with how it all turned out anyway.

spacer.png

For the alternate uniform, I combined the O logo with the alternate shield logo they used from 2011-2020. I also went with the sleeve striping from their earlier years. Just not on the entire uniform, because that's a little busy for me. 

The city uniform uses the Peace Tower logo front and centre, as it represents Ottawa pretty well, being a big landmark in Ottawa. It uses the city of Ottawa flag colours, as well as the jersey striping from a couple different uniforms the Sens have worn for special events. Nothing too crazy, but I think it fits pretty well.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - Ottawa Senators (21/32)

Ottawa Senators

Up next is the Senators. Their most recent rebrand/uniform update was pretty disappointing for me. Don't get me wrong, it was 1000% better than their previous set, but that doesn't mean it was good. I was unimpressed with the lack of an update to the logo or uniform design. I went with something new, using ideas I think everyone uses for Sens uniform concepts. I used their greatest logo they never really used. I know Sens fans hate it for some reason, but design wise, it's the best logo they've ever released. The only thing I changed on the logo was making the arrow type details on the gold a darker shade of gold to match the pattern I put on the uniform. I also brought back the Peace Tower logo for the shoulder patch. If anything, I maybe didn't include enough red on the home and road, but I was pretty pleased with how it all turned out anyway.

spacer.png

For the alternate uniform, I combined the O logo with the alternate shield logo they used from 2011-2020. I also went with the sleeve striping from their earlier years. Just not on the entire uniform, because that's a little busy for me. 

The city uniform uses the Peace Tower logo front and centre, as it represents Ottawa pretty well, being a big landmark in Ottawa. It uses the city of Ottawa flag colours, as well as the jersey striping from a couple different uniforms the Sens have worn for special events. Nothing too crazy, but I think it fits pretty well.

spacer.png

The city of Ottawa has a long history with sports teams using red and black as their primary colours (Original Senators, Roughriders/Renegades/RedBlacks, 67's junior hockey, etc.). Gold has never really been used much as a complimentary piece let alone the secondary colour. I feel like this would look better if the red and gold were swapped. 

• Like 1

Philadelphia Flyers

Many concepts I see for the Flyers get rid of the shoulder and arm stripe design they've used for decades. I don't fully understand why, it's quite unique in the NHL and that's hard to come by for striping patterns. I used a design based on uniforms they first wore in 1982, which also were used for the Reverse Retro design inspiration. I also removed the different coloured name bar, which has always been my least favourite aspect of the Flyers uniforms. 

spacer.png

I came up with a logo I think most concepts include, a Liberty Bell logo. The black alternate is a no brainer, the Flyers have had many black alternates over the years. I wasn't a fan of the only orange and black alternate, so I brought the off white colour back into the mix. 

For the City uniform, it always seems like my alternate logos fit perfectly with the City theme. I recoloured the bell logo to be closer to the actual colours of the bell. In designing the concept, the initial idea was to centre around the Bell and include stripes with the colours of the Philly pro sports teams. It all came together better than I imagined. The four stripes can be connected to the Quakers uniforms, but the colours also connect to the Spectrum arena, that the Flyers called home from 1967-1996. The red and blue represent the Phillies and Sixers, the orange is the Flyers of course, and I went with the kelly green for the Eagles. In addition to those details, I added the first paragraph of the US Constitution, which was signed in Philadelphia, to the front and back of the uniform. It's hard to see, but it's meant to be a detail only seen from up close. It's probably my favourite executed City uniform, just with all the details falling into place, even when I didn't mean them to originally haha.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - Philadelphia Flyers (22/32)
3 minutes ago, TrueNorth13 said:

Philadelphia Flyers

Many concepts I see for the Flyers get rid of the shoulder and arm stripe design they've used for decades. I don't fully understand why, it's quite unique in the NHL and that's hard to come by for striping patterns. I used a design based on uniforms they first wore in 1982, which also were used for the Reverse Retro design inspiration. I also removed the different coloured name bar, which has always been my least favourite aspect of the Flyers uniforms. 

spacer.png

I came up with a logo I think most concepts include, a Liberty Bell logo. The black alternate is a no brainer, the Flyers have had many black alternates over the years. I wasn't a fan of the only orange and black alternate, so I brought the off white colour back into the mix. 

For the City uniform, it always seems like my alternate logos fit perfectly with the City theme. I recoloured the bell logo to be closer to the actual colours of the bell. In designing the concept, the initial idea was to centre around the Bell and include stripes with the colours of the Philly pro sports teams. It all came together better than I imagined. The four stripes can be connected to the Quakers uniforms, but the colours also connect to the Spectrum arena, that the Flyers called home from 1967-1996. The red and blue represent the Phillies and Sixers, the orange is the Flyers of course, and I went with the kelly green for the Eagles. In addition to those details, I added the first paragraph of the US Constitution, which was signed in Philadelphia, to the front and back of the uniform. It's hard to see, but it's meant to be a detail only seen from up close. It's probably my favourite executed City uniform, just with all the details falling into place, even when I didn't mean them to originally haha.

spacer.png

As a Flyers fan - I'm here for all of this. Fantastic work. Personally - I'd love to have a black version of that orange jersey as well, but overall 10/10.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Philly's Phinest said:

As a Flyers fan - I'm here for all of this. Fantastic work. Personally - I'd love to have a black version of that orange jersey as well, but overall 10/10.

I'm always happy when fans of the teams like the concepts! A black version of the home/road design would also work well for an alternate. I challenged myself to make each alternate a different looking uniform than the home and road, so that would be the reason why I chose to not do that.

The second time I'll post an updated concept. Every time I look at the Ottawa Senators home and road concept, I just like it less and less. I just didn't include enough red on the set, so it has been fixed.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:50 PM, Karnage84 said:

The city of Ottawa has a long history with sports teams using red and black as their primary colours (Original Senators, Roughriders/Renegades/RedBlacks, 67's junior hockey, etc.). Gold has never really been used much as a complimentary piece let alone the secondary colour. I feel like this would look better if the red and gold were swapped. 

You mentioned swapping the red and gold, which I didn't do, but I made red more prominent on both the home and road which I think helps a ton. I do stand by keeping gold as an accent colour, just because of how prominent it is on the logo. And I love an accent colour to pair with uniforms.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal NHL - Philadelphia Flyers and Sens Home/Road update (22/32)

The second time I'll post an updated concept. Every time I look at the Ottawa Senators home and road concept, I just like it less and less. I just didn't include enough red on the set, so it has been fixed.

You mentioned swapping the red and gold, which I didn't do, but I made red more prominent on both the home and road which I think helps a ton. I do stand by keeping gold as an accent colour, just because of how prominent it is on the logo. And I love an accent colour to pair with uniforms.

spacer.png

I liked the originals but this is even better

ZUH86xc.png

On 4/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

spacer.png

For what it’s worth, I found the heavy use of white on the dark jersey very innovative and unique. If Ottawa was bold enough to embrace white over red I could see it being a huge risk that has the potential to pay big, considering it hasn’t really been done at most levels (if any). I see it as a touch of modern that could make Ottawa standout from the ample amount of red/black in the NHL.

I like the updates as a safe option just as much, but I personally don’t think it’s doing enough to make the young franchise stand above the rest. I’d suggest making the gold accent stripes a metallic twill so it stands out.