2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

It’s tough because no matter how you look at it, neither the Bengals nor the Bills should come out of this with a negative impact on record. It shouldn’t really be tie. Nor should it be ruled a “no contest”. The other teams shouldn’t be impacted either with potentially deciding seeding based on win %.

If the playoffs can be shifted by a week and/or the Super Bowl can be pushed back a week to account for rest, it should. Hell, not that it matters, but put the “pro bowl games” a week after the big game.

It’s a peculiar situation all around.

Hearing another option is to  have Buffalo and Cincinnati play a Week 19, while the NFC wild card gets underway, with the AFC having a bye, then the following weekend the AFC wildcard with the NFC on bye, basically giving us two wildcard weekends and pushing the divisional, conference championship up a week, eliminating the bye before the Super Bowl, with the Pro Bowl being scrapped.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

51 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Hearing another option is to  have Buffalo and Cincinnati play a Week 19, while the NFC wild card gets underway, with the AFC having a bye, then the following weekend the AFC wildcard with the NFC on bye, basically giving us two wildcard weekends and pushing the divisional, conference championship up a week, eliminating the bye before the Super Bowl, with the Pro Bowl being scrapped.

This might be the best option if necessary.  It could cause some shifting of the TV schedule, but that could be worked out I'm sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Obviously you take the bye because there is no guarantee of even making it to the championship game, especially when it’s 2 games. If the 2 seed doesn’t even make it you get home field regardless.

I can’t think of a single circumstance in which i wouldn’t choose the bye.  Fewer chances to lose trumps home field (that you may not actually get). 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Assuming Buffalo beats NE this weekend and KC beats LV, then I think KC getting the 1 and the bye but Buffalo getting the 2 and home field is actually a decent compromise.

Each team is benefitting without a major schedule disruption.

If Buffalo loses and Cincinnati wins, though, then you're in a rough situation again with less time to figure something out.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When he makes it all the way through (and it looks like that will happen) his playing career is likely over, but I could see the Bills offering him a chance to remain with the team as an assistant coach if he wants it.  

When this first happened, unsurprisingly, Skip Bayless acted like a moron.  And say what you want about Colin Cowherd, he said that the NFL postponing the Bills vs. Bengals was the right decision and that Hamlin's life matters more than football. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

When he makes it all the way through (and it looks like that will happen) his playing career is likely over

Maybe, maybe not. It probably depends on what caused the cardiac arrest. If he had an underlying heart issue, then yeah, his career is most likely over. If it was the result of a fluke hit, he could come back. (See Chris Pronger) The lung issues he's having may have been a result of CPR. What we see on TV and in movies is not a realistic depiction of CPR. From what I understand, CPR is actually pretty rough. Having your ribs broken while receiving it is fairly common. Point being, it's only been three days and we don't know anything yet.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

54 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Assuming Buffalo beats NE this weekend and KC beats LV, then I think KC getting the 1 and the bye but Buffalo getting the 2 and home field is actually a decent compromise.

Each team is benefitting without a major schedule disruption.

If Buffalo loses and Cincinnati wins, though, then you're in a rough situation again with less time to figure something out.

It's probably too much to ask that this whole thing resolves itself on the field this weekend, but it sure would be nice.

BB52Big.jpg

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Maybe, maybe not. It probably depends on what caused the cardiac arrest. If he had an underlying heart issue, then yeah, his career is most likely over. If it was the result of a fluke hit, he could come back. (See Chris Pronger) The lung issues he's having may have been a result of CPR. What we see on TV and in movies is not a realistic depiction of CPR. From what I understand, CPR is actually pretty rough. Having your ribs broken while receiving it is fairly common. Point being, it's only been three days and we don't know anything yet.

As someone who’s had to do it, yes you are literally putting all your weight that you can into their sternum. After you break the ribs it feels like the body goes to mush but that’s how you know you are doing it right because you are pumping their heart for them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Preface: This is like fourth hand telephone and none of these people worked on Hamlin and I'm not a medical professional  so it's all speculation and don't repeat this as true gospel. SIL is a physical therapist at a hospital here in Cincinnati and works with a doctor who also works at UC. Doctor, who, again, did not treat Hamlin, told my SIL that Hamlin may have suffered from acute respiratory distress syndrome which can happen after cardiac arrest/CPR and that's why they were having difficulty getting him off the ventilator. Because of ARDS they had to flip him on his stomach to help his lungs heal, which means they had to sedate him further, which is why it took 40 something hours to wake him up. She also said that she heard the CT scans of his brain looked really good. 

and again disclaimer that's just what she told me, she hasn't been treating him, and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

There will still be one of two major issues with either of those scenarios, depending on who wins CIN/BAL Sunday.

If Bengals win and Bills both win, the Bengals lost the opportunity to pass them for the 2 seed and would have to travel to Buffalo should they both win in the first round. If they're kicking around neutral site games, that one should be as well. This is doubly important in the scenario they presented where the 2 seed would get homefield in the AFC championship game.

If the Bengals lose, then the Ravens lost the opportunity to win the AFC North. I don't know how they could rectify that, but it wasn't even mentioned in the video.

These solutions only even attempt to "solve" the issues between the 1 seed and 2 seed, as if that was all that was left to determine. 4 of the top 5 seeds were affected by this, and none of the others are addressed at all.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Another scenario I’ve heard is to take the playoffs to 8 teams per conference for this year, and eliminating the bye week so there isn’t that advantage given to any team.  This move to 8 would supposedly be temporary, but if they did it you know there’s no way it would end up being temporary.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

There will still be one of two major issues with either of those scenarios, depending on who wins CIN/BAL Sunday.

If Bengals win and Bills both win, the Bengals lost the opportunity to pass them for the 2 seed and would have to travel to Buffalo should they both win in the first round. If they're kicking around neutral site games, that one should be as well. This is doubly important in the scenario they presented where the 2 seed would get homefield in the AFC championship game.

If the Bengals lose, then the Ravens lost the opportunity to win the AFC North. I don't know how they could rectify that, but it wasn't even mentioned in the video.

These solutions only even attempt to "solve" the issues between the 1 seed and 2 seed, as if that was all that was left to determine. 4 of the top 5 seeds were affected by this, and none of the others are addressed at all.

Here's another thing. The Bills and Bengals may both finish 1st in their respective divisions. The AFC North hosts the AFC East for 2023. Buffalo would visit Cincinnati for that placement game. Would the league want to make that game be on a neutral site? To wash away the bad memory of the tragedy? 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Hamlin may have suffered from acute respiratory distress syndrome which can happen after cardiac arrest/CPR and that's why they were having difficulty getting him off the ventilator. Because of ARDS they had to flip him on his stomach to help his lungs heal, which means they had to sedate him further, which is why it took 40 something hours to wake him up. She also said that she heard the CT scans of his brain looked really good. 

That lines up almost exactly with what my GF said when I asked her why his lungs were an issue. It's also when I learned that real life CPR is nothing like TV CPR and that a defibrillator does not start your heart when it's not beating. Shows like ER and Grey's Anatomy have been lying to us all these years.  But it's worth noting yet again that we're working off speculation that's based on past experience and that it may or may not apply to Damar Hamlin's situation.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

15 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Another scenario I’ve heard is to take the playoffs to 8 teams per conference for this year, and eliminating the bye week so there isn’t that advantage given to any team.  This move to 8 would supposedly be temporary, but if they did it you know there’s no way it would end up being temporary.  

I don't like that idea because a few teams played differently last week because they thought the game didn't matter for them. Also it would probably put stupid Steelers in the playoffs. 

It would be incredibly NFL to experience an episode caused by their dangerous sport and respond by playing more of their dangerous sport. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png