MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

The Angels would be a good candidate to follow the Padres/Twins route of creating a simpler, modern look imbued with strong references to its past. 

I'm not as keen to their red-on-red look as the rest of you, but I also understand the interest in avoiding another blue/red team. I still think the red needs something to help add contrast. I don't mind the idea of using navy in small doses. I also really like how the red paired with the cream on the off-white jerseys. Some combination of those colors would be nice. 

I'm also in favor of going back to the prior 70s-80s Angels logo. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I thought of red and metallic gold, give it a Hollywood reference 

This would get my vote. I love the city connect cap, so just change the halo from silver to metallic gold. If they are insistent on keeping blue around they could go with the Florida Panthers' colour balance. The home jersey is mainly red, gold, and white, with the navy blue used as more of an accent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

This would get my vote. I love the city connect cap, so just change the halo from silver to metallic gold. If they are insistent on keeping blue around they could go with the Florida Panthers' colour balance. The home jersey is mainly red, gold, and white, with the navy blue used as more of an accent. 

The Angels' 50th anniversary caps were pretty awesome with the gold halo (and it looked good on the jersey too).

September 13, 2011; Oakland, CA, USA; Los Angeles Angels center fielder  Peter Bourjos (25) sits in

My wishlist for the Angels, which echoes many on here: 

Change the halo to gold

Have one sleeve patch that is neither the roundel nor just the hat logo (the LAFC or Angel City FC logos seemingly provide good inspiration for a new alternate for the Halos)

Have a navy blue Friday (or Sunday) alt cap

Maybe something will happen next year with new ownership.

• Like 9

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:46 PM, tBBP said:

Some of y'all are thinking WAY too hard about this thing 🤣 I mean shoot, with the way some up in here generalize entire swaths of this country, now you wanna get particular?? Just let it breathe, man...the whole PNW thing is just a broad generalization anyway. (Again, it's just the top side of the western 11, that's all.)

Of course we wouldn't even be on this hill had whoever wrote up that logo explanation not even tried the whole five sides = five states of the PNW thing. It's a dang home plate, homie--let it be what it is. Lose the extra bullcorn, bro.

Except, it doesn't LOOK like a home plate because of the rounded corners on 2 of the 5....minor aesthetic thing, but the eye sees it.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, NicDB said:

To your point... baseball is the sport that has always emphasized the city's name over the nickname. I also like the point of the Twins using TC. Unpopular opinion maybe, but the Rangers should be using a DFW hat. Still call yourselves the Texas Rangers since that fits the theme of your identity, but you don't represent all of Texas. 

Heck, even the California Angels used a A. Which ostensibly referred to their nickname, but just as easily stood for Anaheim. Remember, they originally used a CA.

Uhm, the Braves might argue with you.  Their Braves/Tomahawk is an iconic logo (undertones aside).  And for a number of years, there was just the lowercase "a".  IIRC, even the powder blues usually said "Braves".  True enough, the script "Atlanta" was there, but I think primarily only on the roads, and I think the 'Braves" was still preferred.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, namefornamesake said:

We must never forgive Rob Manfred for this affront to humanity. 

Correct - he has introduced many things that make baseball worse (or not even baseball, to be honest).  For example, starting an inning with a runner on second base is not baseball.  Part of the  game is to manage your 26 plyers better than the other team.  Extra innings attrition forces you to do that.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:45 AM, coco1997 said:

That was last offseason and I believe it was a comment by either the owner or someone in the team's front office referencing the Rockies' City Connect set. 

I'm sorry.  I'm no interior or exterior designer, but the Rockies City Connects were the worst looking uniforms I have EVER seen, and that is saying a lot.  IMO, I think they could have done something with 'Rocks' ' or 'Rox' with the Rocky Mountains, and been in a far better position than 9 meandering license plates....

But of course, just my 2 rusty Lincolns...

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, WSU151 said:

The Angels' 50th anniversary caps were pretty awesome with the gold halo (and it looked good on the jersey too).

September 13, 2011; Oakland, CA, USA; Los Angeles Angels center fielder  Peter Bourjos (25) sits in

Change the halo to gold

Have one sleeve patch that is neither the roundel nor just the hat logo (the LAFC or Angel City FC logos seemingly provide good inspiration for a new alternate for the Halos)

I’ve always thought this would be a great sleeve patch:

spacer.png

• Like 25
  • Love 3

The white-panel (or off-white-panel I guess) hat for the Angels' City Connect is a nice alternate look that doesn't go down the well-trodden path of navy/red. I don't know if it would work as well with the Angels' standard identity as it does with the CC, just noting that I like how that particular hat works.

I generally defend navy/red as being the "right" look for most of the teams that use it, but I don't think the Angels should be one of them. Keep the navy as tertiary as they have it now but no more.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

The white-panel (or off-white-panel I guess) hat for the Angels' City Connect is a nice alternate look that doesn't go down the well-trodden path of navy/red. I don't know if it would work as well with the Angels' standard identity as it does with the CC, just noting that I like how that particular hat works.

I generally defend navy/red as being the "right" look for most of the teams that use it, but I don't think the Angels should be one of them. Keep the navy as tertiary as they have it now but no more.

I liked that white-panel hat, too. I like panel hats in general, so that's definitely something the Angels should explore. 

My biggest issue with the current look is the red A on a red hat. The outlines around the logo don't do enough to make it stand out. If Navy/Red isn't the answer (which is understandable, but too bad considering how much I like the classic look), I wonder how it would look if the A were rendered in navy/black or white/silver instead. 

Maybe this is better in my head than execution, but I would love to see the Angels go with the sky blue they had in the 2000s and cut navy out completely and use gold in the halo again like someone posted in the anniversary logo. I think the colors would be more fitting for the team name. 

• Like 6

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

1 hour ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

Maybe this is better in my head than execution, but I would love to see the Angels go with the sky blue they had in the 2000s and cut navy out completely and use gold in the halo again like someone posted in the anniversary logo. I think the colors would be more fitting for the team name. 

THANK YOU!! Red = Devils, Blue/White = Angels

• Like 2

Anubis.png

2 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

THANK YOU!! Red = Devils, Blue/White = Angels

This is a simpleton's take. There are centuries of examples of angels wearing red in artworks, etc.

That said, red + light blue is a nice combination that isn't really used as a proper color scheme (e.g. the core team colors and not just a trendchasing powder-blue fauxback jersey) in MLB or very much in American sports at all. Might be an interesting thought experiment. But I'm generally unconvinced that the Angels need much to change in terms of their jerseys and logos right now, anyway.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

This is a simpleton's take. There are centuries of examples of angels wearing red in artworks, etc.

That said, red + light blue is a nice combination that isn't really used as a proper color scheme (e.g. the core team colors and not just a trendchasing powder-blue fauxback jersey) in MLB or very much in American sports at all. Might be an interesting thought experiment. But I'm generally unconvinced that the Angels need much to change in terms of their jerseys and logos right now, anyway.

Marlins?

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Marlins?

I guess they count even if they only use them in a way that hints there are blue and red lightbulbs on in a room down a hallway. More to the point, both shades are (presumably) far from what the Angels might use... I feel like their flirtation with light blue was a very powder blue, almost periwinkle even.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, WSU151 said:

Change the halo to gold

los-angeles-angels-06.png

Change the halo to gold, slap it on the sleeve, and call it a day. 

• Like 12

On 1/8/2023 at 9:55 PM, coco1997 said:

I've long felt the Angels could pull off a red and gold look:

LosAngelesTeamsRed-scaled.jpg

It's workable, although the graphic causes it to become a weird volt yellow/green like the Atlanta Hawks had going a few years back.

When LA was looking for a football team, I actually really wanted to see the Jaguars move and take on a similar color scheme but with a straight metallic gold on red logo on the helmet.  Lean into a Central American warrior theme.

The Lakers are untouchable, tho.  If any scheme would have to take over the others, it should be Gold and Forum Blue.  Wouldn't look bad on the Rams if the Vikings wouldn't have a conniption and it's the scheme the Kings originally wore.

Huh...  I wonder what a gold and purple Angels team would look like.  It's not like anyone else is effectively using purple.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, EJ_Barlik said:

But of course, just my 2 rusty Lincolns...

That's copyright infringement, my dude 😎

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||