MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

6 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

They seem to be running out of ideas. They had some neat concepts back in the day, but they are looking increasingly like the design was scraped out of the bottom of the proverbial barrel. It's disappointing when we've had these in the past:

MLB has new spring training looks for every team and we ranked them -  CBSSports.com

I have the Cardinals one (diamond era, no FL patch, but sublimated NL logo on the right side) in a low profile. About the only 59fifty cap I've found that fits me in many, many years. I wear it pretty much everyday.

Those look great, but I don’t recall them introducing a matching paneled cap like that. There should be some cohesion there, especially for the home uniform. Either introduce the matching cap for use as an alternate or use solid blue to match the standard cap.

Here are the other helmets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

God I love that white panel helmet. I would love a sunday alternate hat that matches the helmet

I remember being skeptical when the rebranding came out, however I feel like the batting helmet makes this look more concrete and unifies it very well. I do agree, there needs to be some cohesion with a matching cap.

• Like 3

rAUPGPZ.png

So, will they have 3 helmets? Will they have a navy TC, white panel TC and a navy M? Non matching helmets bugs the heck out of me to begin with and having a helmet that isn’t a hat is goofy to me. I’m of the belief that your helmet is a safe version of your hat. If you can’t match them, then maybe you have too many hats.

KISSwall09.jpg

4 minutes ago, hormone said:

So, will they have 3 helmets? Will they have a navy TC, white panel TC and a navy M? Non matching helmets bugs the heck out of me to begin with and having a helmet that isn’t a hat is goofy to me. I’m of the belief that your helmet is a safe version of your hat. If you can’t match them, then maybe you have too many hats.

Yes they will have 3 helmets. Two match their corresponding hats, and the other one is a fun throwback to a design we used in the 70s and when Mauer was catcher

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Somehow this redesign keeps getting better & better in my eyes. This makes me wish even more that they added an alternate cap in the same style, since it fits with the rest of the uniform perfectly. It makes sense that they reserved it for the helmets though, since that’s what Carew & Mauer wore.

It’s also interesting that they went kept a matte finish for the road navy helmet, but went glossy with the throwback navy helmet. I like the matte finish much more.

• Like 9

The white paneled helmet works very well with these uniforms.  Unfortunately, it's ridiculous to have a helmet that doesn't match your hat - especially when you have a helmet that does.  The helmet is supposed to be simply a hard hat, so it should match.  Hopefully they bring out a matching hat to go along with when they use the helmet.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

The white paneled helmet works very well with these uniforms.  Unfortunately, it's ridiculous to have a helmet that doesn't match your hat - especially when you have a helmet that does.  The helmet is supposed to be simply a hard hat, so it should match.  Hopefully they bring out a matching hat to go along with when they use the helmet.

I don't know man, I see no reason why rules can't be broken now and then. I like that this harkens back to the '70s and to Joe Mauer's habit of wearing that with catching gear in 2000s.  

To me, it's just like when people were bent out of shape about the Twins using gold at home but not on the road with their prior set. I thought it worked just fine to add a color to the uniform that tied into the home stadium. It's not the norm, but it worked. 

The Twins should be given credit for trying things like this. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Somehow this redesign keeps getting better & better in my eyes. This makes me wish even more that they added an alternate cap in the same style, since it fits with the rest of the uniform perfectly. It makes sense that they reserved it for the helmets though, since that’s what Carew & Mauer wore.

It’s also interesting that they went kept a matte finish for the road navy helmet, but went glossy with the throwback navy helmet. I like the matte finish much more.

I think both finishes can work well in baseball, and a classic gloss look makes perfect sense for a throwback. I would not mind seeing teams have multiple options for different lightings, but we'd probably get mismatched helmets within a game and send half of this board into cardiac arrest.

Still not really sold on the road/M cap stuff, but that home look with the white-paneled helmet is sex.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't know man, I see no reason why rules can't be broken now and then. I like that this harkens back to the '70s and to Joe Mauer's habit of wearing that with catching gear in 2000s.  

To me, it's just like when people were bent out of shape about the Twins using gold at home but not on the road with their prior set. I thought it worked just fine to add a color to the uniform that tied into the home stadium. It's not the norm, but it worked. 

The Twins should be given credit for trying things like this. 

Yeah, it could be a quirk that works. I would like to see a white-paneled cap to judge, though.

• Like 4

For the folks interested in how it would look on a cap, the Twins wore something similar too that for their Spring Training caps in the mid-2010s.

spacer.png

And for the 2014 All-Star game, which was hosted by the Twins at Target Field, the caps were based on the Twins 1970s batting helmets. And the Twins one looked good. spacer.png

• Like 13

da0Lbhs.png

And something similar would look perfect with their new minimalistic uniforms.  I too am a believer that "rules" can be broken if it works (I prefer the term "norms" to "rules") but I think continuity between a cap and helmet is a little more important than continuity between a home and road uniform since the helmet only exists to be a protective version of the cap.  I guess I just don't see why they'd make the investment in helmets but not caps (unless the helmets are just a test before going in balls deep with the look... which they should.)

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, simtek34 said:

For the folks interested in how it would look on a cap, the Twins wore something similar too that for their Spring Training caps in the mid-2010s.

spacer.png

And for the 2014 All-Star game, which was hosted by the Twins at Target Field, the caps were based on the Twins 1970s batting helmets. And the Twins one looked good. spacer.png

Thanks for this. I didn't think they ever had a cap to match that batting helmet.

I know the Brewers had a similar helmet issue with a white-paneled version that never had a matching hat. Who else has done that?

It's where I sit.

52 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks for this. I didn't think they ever had a cap to match that batting helmet.

I know the Brewers had a similar helmet issue with a white-paneled version that never had a matching hat. Who else has done that?

The Diamondbacks never had a panel/regular mismatch, but they did have hats that didn't match the batting helmet in the purple/teal set.  I feel like there's a couple other teams that had similar mismatches. 

edit: The 80s White Sox had the white panel hats with the navy blue/redbrimmed helmets. The Rockies for a stretch in the 2010s had black hats and metallic purple helmets. The 70s Pirates had yellow helmets with black hats. The Nats have held onto the red batting helmets while the home hats have shifted to the white paneled dome version. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Diamondbacks never had a panel/regular mismatch, but they did have hats that didn't match the batting helmet in the purple/teal set.  I feel like there's a couple other teams that had similar mismatches. 

Didn't Mauer wear a catchers helmet that didn't match?

• Like 2

Anubis.png