MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

9 hours ago, hormone said:

Was wondering…why don’t the blue jays get a Stars and Stripes hat to match the rest of the league ? Before I get “Canada” I was just getting to they are in a U.S. baseball league, their opponent (no matter who) is getting the celebratory gear and it’s not like you have to live there to celebrate. Heck, don’t the warriors (not an nba guy) do like Chinese new years jerseys? I saw their special cap and it looked like the batter man was S&S anyway

I mean Lunar New Year is celebrated by people around the world, and the Bay Area has a significant Chinese population, so that makes sense. Unless you're an American abroad, no other countries are celebrating American Independence. I can't imagine many Canadians lining up to buy Blue Jays gear covered in stars & stripes, especially with Canada Day taking place a few days before July 4th.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

From the ESPN article:

"The Sugar Kings were a Triple-A team in the International League that was owned by Bobby Maduro and played out of Havana, Cuba, from 1954 to 1960.

Maduro -- revered so much in Miami that a baseball stadium was named after him -- aspired to turn the Sugar Kings into a major league team based out of Cuba, an aspiration expressed through the team's popular motto of "Un Paso Mas Y Llegamos" ("One More Step And We Get There"). The team got close, winning the Junior World Series in 1959, but Fidel Castro's rise to power and Cuba's deteriorated relations with the United States forced the team to suddenly relocate to New Jersey and ultimately dissolve. The older generation of Cubans in Miami -- many of whom live in Little Havana, site of the Marlins' ballpark -- still look back on that team with great reverence. Cookie Rojas, a Cuban American who played for the Sugar Kings and went on to carve out a 16-year major league career, called the Marlins' uniforms "a very good, well-deserved representation of the ballclub in trying to give the Sugar Kings what they deserve.".

But what does that have to do with Miami?

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Miami has a large Cuban population that moved into the area after Castro took over Cuba, the team came with them in spirit. This would be the same as if the Cleveland Buckeyes were used for the Guardians City Connect uniform. The Buckeyes are an important part of Cleveland baseball, but until the Guardians started paying homage to them in the 1980's and 90's, they were all but forgotten in the area. 

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Miami has a large Cuban population that moved into the area after Castro took over Cuba, the team came with them in spirit. This would be the same as if the Cleveland Buckeyes were used for the Guardians City Connect uniform. The Buckeyes are an important part of Cleveland baseball, but until the Guardians started paying homage to them in the 1980's and 90's, they were all but forgotten in the area. 

Those 2 aren’t the same at all. They are from the same city, that would be like the New England Revolution wearing arsenal inspired uniforms because a lot of their ancestors came from England.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 hours ago, dont care said:

This is a really strange point to argue.

It's not a hard concept. The City Connect program allows teams to create uniforms bearing attributes or inspired by the culture of their local markets, and they've been given pretty wide latitude in how they do this. They're not required to follow the same formula. The teams have chosen to interpret the idea in different ways. 

Miami, as most people know, is heavily influenced by Cuba and Cuban culture. So they chose to pay homage to a Cuban team whose influence still resonates with the Cubans living in Miami. 

From that explanation, if you can't understand what it has to do with Miami, then I'm not sure anybody can help. 

• Like 23
  • Applause 2

On 7/4/2023 at 9:03 PM, hormone said:

Was wondering…why don’t the blue jays get a Stars and Stripes hat to match the rest of the league ? Before I get “Canada” I was just getting to they are in a U.S. baseball league, their opponent (no matter who) is getting the celebratory gear and it’s not like you have to live there to celebrate. Heck, don’t the warriors (not an nba guy) do like Chinese new years jerseys? I saw their special cap and it looked like the batter man was S&S anyway

Because they tried it in 2022 and guess what, people hated it.  And, they ended up changing them.  As far as Golden State or Houston celebrating Lunar New Year, that is different because, while Lunar/Chinese New Year might be more associated with the Chinese, it is a celebrated by many Asian countries.  The Warriors and Rockets are not celebrating China by using Chinese characters on their jerseys, but the holiday.

spacer.png

• Like 1

For a 490 dollar shirt these all star jerseys look incredibly cheap.

Numbers should be teal with a white outline on the navy jersey.

and of course navy with a white outline on the American league teal jersey.

-

just for reference

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

Wish i had photoshop skills to make the numbers teal with white outline..

And perhaps also on the front script, that would look good in two color as well.

• Yawn 4

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Numbers should be teal with a white outline on the navy jersey.

and of course navy with a white outline on the American league teal jersey.

Wish i had photoshop skills to make the numbers teal with white outline..

And perhaps also on the front script, that would look good in two color as well.

White pops much better against the dark blue than teal would, and for NOB ease of sight is extremely important.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Weird development in Seattle where All Star Kenley Jansen has been spotted with a screen printed Mass Mutual sleeve patch.

Boston (and I believe every other team with a sleeve sponsor) always has a stitched patch.

spacer.png

just guessing that the ad patch was a requirement, and they cut one out with a cricut. Better than using a marker like Lou Whitaker in 1984 ASG. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 2023-07-04 at 9:38 PM, MNtwins3 said:

It's more like "I live in Chicago Southside and I don't watch baseball, but damn that Southside jersey is sick! I think I need to get that to wear around." Once you realize most of the City Connects (and the NBA City jerseys) are more to be worn as city/region pride streetwear, it makes a lot more sense. It's about selling jerseys to people who don't particularly want what a team is currently wearing. Some of them still fail in this regard IMO, but most make more sense as streetwear.

The Red Sox said this transparently in their media push at the start of the City Connect program, and also brought in a bunch of people from Boston-area hip-hop to model the jerseys initially. It was basically like "this franchise has historically been racist so we're starting fresh with black people with this bright streetwear thing". Of course this happened at the same time the team roster let all of its black players go, and the Marathon itself is a tour of greater Boston's richest/whitest zip codes. But whatever.

On 2023-07-03 at 3:09 PM, the admiral said:

I can't stand the red jerseys. I can't think of any true red jerseys in the majors that I do like or would like. (Phils in maroon would be fine.) Something about navy details on a red base is unpleasant to me.

Navy on red has always been a favorite combo for me, which is maybe why I've always liked the Red Sox alts (though the pre-09 version was better). Black on red bores me, medium blues on red hurt my eyes, but navy works.

On 2023-07-03 at 1:55 PM, dannykraft said:

I wouldn't have a problem with the marathon CC uniforms if they only wore them around the time of the marathon. I also think they're pointless considering they already created a Boston Strong uniform that I feel has much more meaningful and came naturally instead of just trying to make more merch.

Another thing that was telegraphed when Boston first unveiled them. They were supposed to only be Marathon Weekend, which was both a reasonable idea in one way and a terrible idea in another way, due to the endearingly organic tradition of the Boston Strong uniform that had popped up. At any rate, that "rule" went out the window either due to the merch sales or due to the players thinking the yellow jerseys were fire (as if this decade's anonymous, AAA bozos of the Red Sox deserve any say).

• Like 1