MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

8 hours ago, Ark said:

The Angels should go back to their late 90s-early 2000s identity.

Embrace the Disney connection, be different.

BTW it’s really too bad they didn’t wait one more year to rebrand because then that identity wouldn’t be forgotten to time.

The font was "almost" to a good point.

anaheim_angels_logo_jersey_20005931.png

It's ITC Busorama-adjacent with some flare serifs. However, what the Angels really should be using is ITC Busorama straight-up.

il_fullxfull.2014756536_c7a4.jpg

It captures that "Hollywood" vibe of the '97-'01 set, but doesn't have the more gimmicky elements of that look. If only ITC made a digital version that had all the alternate characters.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The font was "almost" to a good point.

anaheim_angels_logo_jersey_20005931.png

It's ITC Busorama-adjacent with some flare serifs. However, what the Angels really should be using is ITC Busorama straight-up.

il_fullxfull.2014756536_c7a4.jpg

It captures that "Hollywood" vibe of the '97-'01 set, but doesn't have the more gimmicky elements of that look. If only ITC made a digital version that had all the alternate characters.

It's a great font, but I'm already a sucker for art deco.

I haven't been there in seven years years now so maybe it's changed (but I doubt it), a lot of signage inside Angel Stadium still uses the Disney-era fonts. 

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The font itself recalls Golden Age Hollywood, but nothing about the Anaheim Angels set does -- it was too far abstracted from the original font to maintain that connection. 

The problem I have is that in my mind, the Big A has to function as the first letter in "Angels," even though there were plenty of times over the years that it didn't. Even if we decide it doesn't, it still needs to be the cap monogram, and then it could end up clashing. As cool as that asymmetrical A looks, would it work here? Inasmuch as they're still kicking the tires on getting out of Anaheim Stadium, would the Big A just stop being part of the brand?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

The font itself recalls Golden Age Hollywood, but nothing about the Anaheim Angels set does -- it was too far abstracted from the original font to maintain that connection. 

Agreed - if it was pure Busorama without any of the cartoon junk on top of it, it'd work much better.

Just now, the admiral said:

The problem I have is that in my mind, the Big A has to function as the first letter in "Angels," even though there were plenty of times over the years that it didn't. Even if we decide it doesn't, it still needs to be the cap monogram, and then it could end up clashing. As cool as that asymmetrical A looks, would it work here? Inasmuch as they're still kicking the tires on getting out of Anaheim Stadium, would the Big A just stop being part of the brand?

Ever since the Big A stopped being the scoreboard, I've largely seen it as irrelevant to the brand. It's as relevant to the brand as the steamboat chimneys at GAPB, IMHO. My favorite cap logo of the Angels basically tells the Big A to piss off:

2261.png

Had Disney ownership moved the Big A back into the stadium, we'd be singing a different tune with its brand relevance. However, as long as it sits in the parking lot, it's irrelevant.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 9:05 PM, tBBP said:

That's something I've long wanted the Angels to do.

I'll take it one step further: strip out all the navy, swap all the silver for gold, brighten the red juatasmidge, and be the red-and-metallic-gold team in MLB. That I'm aware of right now the 49ers are the only other major pro sports team to use that colorway.

I've always thought this would be a good, unique look for them. Maybe they could use some navy sparingly to help things stand out, sort of like what the Florida Panthers do right now.

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Something always felt off to me about the Disney-era Angels pinstripes.

Maybe the weight on the pins looked a little thicker or the spacing was closer. I've looked up some game worn jerseys and they don't use zig-zag pins and they don't seem super close together but something always felt funky to me.

It also didnt help that that Angels era jersey was not a true vest.  The sleeves were sewn on dark blue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Hate them all you want, they get results! 💙💛 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 7/23/2023 at 4:50 PM, SFGiants58 said:

My favorite cap logo of the Angels basically tells the Big A to piss off:

2261.png

The Angels, to me, have one of the most visually interesting histories. Their early years, with actual halos stitched into the caps, were really incredible. 

spacer.png

I wouldn't advocate they go back to that. I only throw it out there to suggest that they have a lot of elements to play with. I also love the lower-case "a" with halo monogram. I'd love to see a look built around the lower-case letters like this. 

It's hard to disagree with those of you who point out that the Angels in navy and red would look too much like other teams. You're right. But that color scheme looks so much better, to me, than red-on-red. Their current look just feels forgettable, which being forgettable -- even with Otani and Trout -- seems to be a hallmark of this franchise. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If only all the players did that.

Then they'd move them to the chest or the hat or shoulder.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Facepalm 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."