2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

It's one game, but that was about as bad as one game could've gone for the Leafs and now they've got the Self-Doubt problem, the Oh God It's Happening Again problem, and the Feeling Sorry for Themselves problem. They're in trouble. I knew Tampa was a bad draw for them because while the Lightning are not what they were 2 or 3 years ago, it feels like people forget they were still in the final last year, and their core is still there. Plus, even if nothing else is going right for Tampa, Vasilevskiy could steal a series on his own if he's on his game. The Lightning have none of the baggage of the Leafs while also having the edge in experience, the mental edge, the ability to play loose and care-free, and they know how to close. And they have beaten this Leafs team before. 

My biggest takeaway from the game last night, not to be all Bill Simmons here, but the home crowd never does any favors for the Leafs. And I don't really blame them after what they've been through, but when they were down 3-0 you could hear a mouse think. The Leafs always have to drag their fans back from the brink and get their crowd back in the game, while other crowds keep the energy up and don't wilt after one goal. When it was 5-2 after the idiotic penalty by Bunting it was even quieter. 

The worst part is the Leafs have been in every possible playoff situation with this core - underdogs with nothing to lose, clearly superior favorites with big series leads, motivated young guys with a lot to prove against arch rivals, and coin flips, and they've lost them all. The last five years in a deciding game. They lost a series to the Columbus Blue Jackets and I watched every game of the Blue Jackets that season and they were not better than the Maple Leafs. I should wait until the series is over and I will be pulling for them, but what do you do if they can't get out of the first round again? How long can you keep doing this? 

Other thoughts for games I didn't watch and only saw the scores this morning:

LOL eat :censored:, Vegas.

KRAKEN!!!!!

I can't be moved to have any feelings about Rangers-Devils

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

In addition to all of 👆🏾 that: was it just me, or did Seattle just look...faster on the ice last night?? Far more aggressive, like they were on a mission, skating with an impassioned purpose? (Which, of course, they were—its a playoff game after all.) But now that Colorado sees what they're in for, not to sound all cliché, but they are really gonna have to step up their energy level in game two and going forward or those Kraken are gonna skate them right out of the tournament...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Always bet on sun belt to beat Canada.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

In addition to all of 👆🏾 that: was it just me, or did Seattle just look...faster on the ice last night?? Far more aggressive, like they were on a mission, skating with an impassioned purpose? (Which, of course, they were—its a playoff game after all.) But now that Colorado sees what they're in for, not to sound all cliché, but they are really gonna have to step up their energy level in game two and going forward or those Kraken are gonna skate them right out of the tournament...

The shocking part was only allowing 1 goal. Seattle's bugaboo all year was defense and goaltending (i.e. Edmonton Northwest)

9 hours ago, Sport said:

It's one game, but that was about as bad as one game could've gone for the Leafs and now they've got the Self-Doubt problem, the Oh God It's Happening Again problem, and the Feeling Sorry for Themselves problem. They're in trouble. I knew Tampa was a bad draw for them because while the Lightning are not what they were 2 or 3 years ago, it feels like people forget they were still in the final last year, and their core is still there. Plus, even if nothing else is going right for Tampa, Vasilevskiy could steal a series on his own if he's on his game. The Lightning have none of the baggage of the Leafs while also having the edge in experience, the mental edge, the ability to play loose and care-free, and they know how to close. And they have beaten this Leafs team before. 

Last year was last year. This year is not last year.

Tampa to me feels like a team that thinks they can go through the motions based on reputation and past accomplishments they'll magically be fine come playoff time.

They may get by TOR, but at some point experienced teams age out (See: Detroit when their Cup run ended)

Like they didn't have home ice at all last year and probably won't this year unless any of the Wild Card teams make it to round 3.

At some point, that can catch up to a team. You don't want to have to start EVERY series on the road.

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

They may get by TOR, but at some point experienced teams age out (See: Detroit when their Cup run ended)

Michigan collects income tax

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bruins are 5 for 6 in regards to playing horrendous periods of hockey. Behind the back passes to the other team, the inability to catch a pass, Taylor Hall (who is a former MVP WTF HOW?!) just...falling down. Not to mention a horrible crowd all night, too.

They're lucky they are not heading down to Florida in an 0-2 hole.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

cool I love having no expectations at first only to realize the islanders 100% would've won against a sunbelt team if not for donaghy-tier reffing.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/866480858721943592/1098431495338733658/image.png

nah man that's not a high stick directly in front of your face at all. bang-up job.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

12 hours ago, Unocal said:

Last year was last year. This year is not last year.

Tampa to me feels like a team that thinks they can go through the motions based on reputation and past accomplishments they'll magically be fine come playoff time.

Like they didn't have home ice at all last year and probably won't this year unless any of the Wild Card teams make it to round 3.

At some point, that can catch up to a team. You don't want to have to start EVERY series on the road.

My whole point was that they're still good enough to win A series against specifically the Maple Leafs and it wouldn't be surprising. I said nothing about the Lightning going any further than that. 

10 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I assure you whenever gary retires/dies we're gonna see like five canadian teams win the cup in a row

Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews play for Canadian teams.

9 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

cool I love having no expectations at first only to realize the islanders 100% would've won against a sunbelt team if not for donaghy-tier reffing.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/866480858721943592/1098431495338733658/image.png

nah man that's not a high stick directly in front of your face at all. bang-up job.

Looks like the linesman is shielded from seeing the (accidental) high stick because he's behind them and is looking at that (purposeful) big ass hook Scott Mayfield is perpetrating. Doesn't crack the top 1,000 of fishy NHL playoff officiating incidents. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Unocal said:

You don't want to have to start EVERY series on the road.

During Jon Cooper's time as Lightning head coach:

Lightning record in Game 1 at home: 3-8

Lightning record in Game 1 away: 7-3

Yeah, I'm ok with beginning each series on the road. And especially against Toronto. In the weeks leading up to this playoff series, I was more than ok with the Leafs having home ice because, frankly, the Leafs need fewer games in Toronto, not more. You need a steak knife to cut the tension in that arena during playoff games. It only took 80 seconds in Game 1 for "here we :censored: ing go again" to be going through over 19,000 people's minds. Losing one home game isn't a dealbreaker because, in closely matched series, I generally believe the lower seed needs two road wins if they expect to win the series, but the Leafs are definitely going to be feeling the pressure tonight. All the home-ice teams tonight will be. Odds are somebody's going to be down 0-2 after tonight and facing some very difficult questions...but not impossible questions, either; three times this century the eventual Cup champion began their pursuit with losing two home games to begin their first round series before turning everything around.

• Like 2

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Glover said:

What exactly is the league doing to hold the Canadian teams back right now? 

Real teams or hypothetical Quebec City team(s)? 🙃

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL doesn't need to rig against Canadian teams, those teams already tend to rig against themselves through their own inept decision making.

If only they made decisions like those savvy Sunbelt teams

12 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Odds are somebody's going to be down 0-2 after tonight and facing some very difficult questions...but not impossible questions, either; three times this century the eventual Cup champion began their pursuit with losing two home games to begin their first round series before turning everything around.

Well you called this one. I don't think anyone had the Devils starting off 0-2