2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

Few takeaways thus far:

- It's only been 4 periods but impressed with Winnipeg's play; not your regular season Jets thus far.

- Not your regular season Bruins thus fair either...

- Toronno opened the release valve, but not all the way - let's see if they carry that pent up energy with them to Tampa.

- Rangers are playing like cup winners

- Oilers' power play is crazy good. 5x5 is keeping the Kings alive with bad penalties.

- Wild are playing better than the scoreline suggests. Majority of Dallas' goals are coming on special teams. I expect the Wild to take both games in St Paul

- Carolina has only eked out their two wins; they've got another level left in them. They'll take a step back in game 3 but they'll take game 4 and 5

- Stanley Cup Playoffs, have you met the Seattle Kraken?! Love the statement game 1 win in their debut.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

38 minutes ago, MiK said:

- Carolina has only eked out their two wins; they've got another level left in them. They'll take a step back in game 3 but they'll take game 4 and 5

Teravainen  broke his hand, which is maybe something that happens to Carolina players from jerking themselves off too hard. Isles might be right back in it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh dang, I hadn't seen that it was broken. I still think Carolina are a better team but yeah, that definitely makes things more interesting.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I didn't expect Toronto to bounce back and crush the Lightning 7-2.

I've never seen them this fired up before.

7-2 is a lot, but with both Tampa's top pair D out I'm not too shocked. 

They opened the series 5-0 last year. There's still plenty of time for the annual Leafs collapse. Unless they go for the tried-and-true strategy of eliminating all of their opponents blueliners. 

52 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Necas went into the Isles bench and straight-up punched a guy in the face. Probably suspended a game for that. Do a dance about it, :censored:

I’ve never seen a team live in someone’s head so rent free. 

Make another dup account about it. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

T1oYViW.png

7 hours ago, Glover said:

I’ve never seen a team live in someone’s head so rent free. 

Make another dup account about it. 

maybe he should've considered not letting his team give up four goals in the span of an average pageninetynine song first

53Ocz8U.png

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Toronto clutches out another win against Tampa on the road after being kinda dogwater all game. I hate to jinx, but...could they actually do it?

Tampa may be aging out, but all it takes is a few good games and suddenly we say they're aging like wine

15 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Toronto clutches out another win against Tampa on the road after being kinda dogwater all game. I hate to jinx, but...could they actually do it?

If that's the Andrei Vasilevskiy that the Lightning are going to get in net - and, aside from the last five periods of last year's meeting, this is who he's been vs. Toronto in these two playoff meetings - then Toronto's going to win this series. That's a tough game to bounce back from. That's as good a game as the Lightning have played against Toronto, maybe the best game the Lightning have played this entire season when considering the circumstances, and Vasilevskiy just about lost the game all by himself.  It's going to be hard to win this series if last night is any indication because it's going to be difficult for the Lightning to play a better game than that.

But this is also why my previous post said that the lower seeded team generally needs two road wins (at least) if they're going to advance in the playoffs. Seven of the eight lower seeded teams won a road game in the first two games of their series (the Rangers won both). Of the six series that were tied 1-1, four road teams won Game 3 and got the home ice advantage right back (and NJ also won a road game, for added measure). I'm not saying who's going to do it, but I'm expecting at least one of those teams who lost Game 3 is still going to win their series. Home-ice advantage is the most overrated thing in hockey. This isn't the NBA where one road win might be all it takes to decide a series. Home ice is earned, lost, regained, and lost all the time in this sport. There have been entire postseasons where the home/away splits are almost .500 in both directions. The Blues won the Stanley Cup during a postseason where they went 6-7 on home ice. I'm happy to see there are no 1st round sweeps that are going to happen. Hopefully some or all of these 2-1's get knotted 2-2 in the next couple days.

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

I don't think Connor McDavid will be winning a Cup with Edmonton this year, or anytime soon, if ever.

Unless there's a mega turnaround, I think they're getting a first round exit.

Tied at 3 going to the 3rd.

It's where I sit.