MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

I think it's fine, but it's a little underwhelming when you consider it's their inaugural home kit.

Then again, a lot of the recent inaugural kits have been underwhelming. Austin is the only recent one imo that knocked it out of the park with their inaugural kit.

Yeah I’m not sure I would say Austin “knocked it out of the park.” They look great when the player is facing you, but from the back they might as well be another black and white team.

spacer.png

Like Brave Bird mentioned, I appreciated Atlanta’s approach to the stripes which was to use red as the base color to create contrast from the shorts.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

15 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Calling my shot.

St Louis will have a year 2 brand tweak to make the colors a little more "standard."

Same thing RSL ended up doing

Funny you should bring up RSL, because I'm already seeing chatter around the interwebs & within some STLC circles that the new kit is drawing similarities to RSL...probably because of the yellow.

(That'd be another reason for STLC to get rid of jt, but I doubt they will.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

40 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Yeah I’m not sure I would say Austin “knocked it out of the park.” They look great when the player is facing you, but from the back they might as well be another black and white team.

spacer.png

Like Brave Bird mentioned, I appreciated Atlanta’s approach to the stripes which was to use red as the base color to create contrast from the shorts.

spacer.png

Never noticed the back of the Austin jersey before. MLS should just allow stripes on the back if the numbers contrast enough. Still, the front of the jersey is absolutely beautiful, plus the perfect sponsor for them.

• Like 1

Noting that the replica City kit up on MLSStore.com has no yellow trim on the collar and no trim at all on the sleeve cuffs, plus no yellow taping down the sides/across the back hem and no blue side panels. Yellow trim on the hem goes all the way around instead of just across the back.

Authentic:

authentic.jpg

Replica:

replica.jpg

I mean, poor quality replicas are nothing new, but this feels really egregious.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Noting that the replica City kit up on MLSStore.com has no yellow trim on the collar and no trim at all on the sleeve cuffs, plus no yellow taping down the sides/across the back hem and no blue side panels. Yellow trim on the hem goes all the way around instead of just across the back.

Authentic:

Replica:

The replica does actually have the yellow taping down the sides and only around the back hem. You can kind of see it in the pics you posted if you look closely, but you can get a better sense on the kids’ jerseys here:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Don’t get me wrong, there are still way too many disparities between the authentic and replica MLS shirts, but at least the side/back hem taping does appear to be there. Should mean that all of the new MLS shirts for this year will have that detail on the authentics & replicas.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Authentic:

authentic.jpg

Replica:

replica.jpg

There should not be such huge differences between the kit that the players wear and the versions sold to the public. Having said that, I like the replica STL shirt  more than the authentic - less sponsors, no huge blue panels on the sides and the collar looks cleaner.

6 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

There should not be such huge differences between the kit that the players wear and the versions sold to the public. Having said that, I like the replica STL shirt  more than the authentic - less sponsors, no huge blue panels on the sides and the collar looks cleaner.

I think if the replica had the same sleeve stripes as the authentic, that would be the perfect look. 

All in all, I really dig the fact that they owned that magenta color. Very unique. Paired with the navy, it reminds me a tad of the Kraken color scheme, with a unique bright color paired with navy. The yellow acts in a similar fashion to the red eye on the Kraken logo. It makes me wish that the Kraken's color scheme was flipped with aqua being dominant and navy being a trim color.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Authentic:

authentic.jpg

Replica:

replica.jpg

And the most infuriating bit is this only happens with MLS. EPL teams will use different materials but at least they look like the authentics. At least they don't have that ugly Apple TV logo, I wonder how many people will buy it just because of that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

Someone said before they do the differences on purpose, not because it saves any money, but just because they want people to buy authentics more.

I believe it. And I've bought the authentic over the replica because the missing details usually stood out pretty loudly, like the Crew's previous "grey/white" jerseys that had no yellow on the replicas. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That’s the pinkest red I’ve ever seen in my life. It would be fine if the league hadn’t just added a pink team not that long ago. Then again it’s not like “city” is the height of originality either.

The ads have to stop. Completely out of control. I haven’t bought an MLS shirt in years with the poor replica quality and the ads. I’m trying to vote with my wallet but I suppose it’s hard to teach the league its lesson when they add a shiny new franchise every single year.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Based on this Facebook post at the "Annual Business Meetings" the new logo/crest the Sounders have been talking about for a bit has been approved/confirmed. I am assuming we may see this soon:

https://www.facebook.com/SoundersFC/photos/a.246043763588/10159083276358589/

The comments mentioned that they were told the Space Needle is being kept somehow on the logo

Personal Thought: I have no faith MLS's Marketing team to get this right and they will do what Columbus and Chicago already had to do and revert to something else 2 years later. Its pretty clear the league gives these teams no major choice in whatever get created. "You asked for it not us" mentality. 

2 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Personal Thought: I have no faith MLS's Marketing team to get this right and they will do what Columbus and Chicago already had to do and revert to something else 2 years later. Its pretty clear the league gives these teams no major choice in whatever get created. "You asked for it not us" mentality. 

I like the current uniqueness of their crest shape and branding overall but it definitely feels very dated in a 2000s way. Seattle seems to have an unusually competent FO so I feel like they won't let things go as sideways as some of the recent disasters we've seen, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one element that's just ill-considered change for its own sake, like injecting fluoro yellow into the brand or something. Just please don't be a roundel.

(Also change your color to city flag teal!!)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

I like the current uniqueness of their crest shape and branding overall but it definitely feels very dated in a 2000s way. Seattle seems to have an unusually competent FO so I feel like they won't let things go as sideways as some of the recent disasters we've seen, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one element that's just ill-considered change for its own sake, like injecting fluoro yellow into the brand or something. Just please don't be a roundel.

(Also change your color to city flag teal!!)

Or for that matter the one glaring thing that league's marketing team required, like making it roundel or something to make the BS marketing speak they come up with work. "We decided to change the blue to a brighter shade to look to a brighter future in the MLS. We changed the green to make it a stronger shade to show how strong we are in the league with our MLS CUP and Concacaf wins"

• Sad 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: just ditch the rave green. The crest absolutely is in need of an update (it was the moment it was revealed, tbh), but the rave green is the worst part of their brand IMO. I’d say it’s probably the worst primary color in MLS, or at least bottom-2 with Nashville. Could be as simple as tweaking it to make it more of a true lime green like the Seahawks (still bad, but not puke-colored bad), changing it to something in between the Seahawks’ green and Austin FC’s gorgeous green, or a radical change like moving to city flag teal like @Digby mentioned. 

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

18 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: just ditch the rave green. The crest absolutely is in need of an update (it was the moment it was revealed, tbh), but the rave green is the worst part of their brand IMO. I’d say it’s probably the worst primary color in MLS, or at least bottom-2 with Nashville. Could be as simple as tweaking it to make it more of a true lime green like the Seahawks (still bad, but not puke-colored bad), changing it to something in between the Seahawks’ green and Austin FC’s gorgeous green, or a radical change like moving to city flag teal like @Digby mentioned. 

A mix between Action Green and Bright Verde would be a colour like this, and while an improvement over the current rave green, both shades of blue would have to be changed too, because that colour doesn't work that well with the shades the Sounders currently use.

6 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

A mix between Action Green and Bright Verde would be a colour like this, and while an improvement over the current rave green, both shades of blue would have to be changed too, because that colour doesn't work that well with the shades the Sounders currently use.

If they switched to this shade of green, they'd have to switch to navy blue also, which would be very Seahawks but also look substantially better.

I actually really like their current shade of blue, it's very pleasant looking and pretty unique in the league, but it doesn't work well with the green. Maybe it would work with like a fluoro yellow-green, or a forest green, but both of those won't ever happen.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 11:26 AM, upperV03 said:

They've already said the name and colors are off limits