2023 International (National Team) Soccer Kits

MJWalker45

16 hours ago, officeglenn said:

New kits for the Philippines national women's team ahead of the World Cup this summer -- white home, blue away and red third along with goalkeeper kits in this photo:

featured-905-12.jpg

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/03/jerseybird-philippines-2023-home-goalkeeper-kits.html

That's disappointing. The men's kit was at least a bit different with the previous kit supplier. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit confused with the new USA kits.

spacer.png

When they were revealed a couple months ago, they said the white shirt would only be worn by the women while the blue shirt would be shared by both the men and women.

However, Nike now has an authentic match issue shirt listed as “coming soon” in a men’s cut without the gold women’s stars above the crest. It looks like a men’s only design.

spacer.png

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

When they were revealed a couple months ago, they said the white shirt would only be worn by the women while the blue shirt would be shared by both the men and women.

However, Nike now has an authentic match issue shirt listed as “coming soon” in a men’s cut without the gold women’s stars above the crest. It looks like a men’s only design.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not surprised that the men would possibly wear it as well. Nike also sells replicas for men without the stars on them for older kits as well. They may do what some adidas mens teams do as well and only wear it one time in support of the ladies teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Not surprised that the men would possibly wear it as well. Nike also sells replicas for men without the stars on them for older kits as well. They may do what some adidas mens teams do as well and only wear it one time in support of the ladies teams. 

This suggests to me that it will be worn on field by the men. I don’t recall Nike ever producing a USMNT version of the women’s kits. They certainly produce men’s cuts in support of the women’s team with the World Cup stars. But I don’t think they’ve take a women’s design and modified it at retail for the men.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 12:47 PM, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Damn, I might buy...

On 5/30/2023 at 11:47 AM, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Could this be in response to the mostly negative reaction and probably poor sales of the white World Cup jersey?

• Like 1

Nike has relabeled that white men’s shirt from “U.S.” to “USMNT” so it would appear very likely they changed their plans and the men will wear both designs. The new kits are supposed to finally go on sale today on nike.com and ussoccer.com. We shall know soon enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 12:41 AM, aawagner011 said:

Nike has relabeled that white men’s shirt from “U.S.” to “USMNT” so it would appear very likely they changed their plans and the men will wear both designs. The new kits are supposed to finally go on sale today on nike.com and ussoccer.com. We shall know soon enough.

I received my authentic white US shirt today and I am still very confused if it will be worn by the men’s team. I was sure of it when they stealth dropped the retail jerseys without the four USWNT stars above the crest. That seemed a sure sign the men would share the design. However, my jersey still includes the years the women won the World Cup in the inside collar (1991, 1999, 2015, 2019). The last women’s World Cup saw both teams get a new red design that included four stars on the back collar. The men’s version omitted that aspect and they wore it on pitch. They did not wear the white design, but they also did not release USMNT versions of that shirt, either. They did release men’s cuts for the USWNT. At this point, I have no idea whether this jersey is a fashion piece for the men or not.

Nike can’t stop getting in its own way on these US kits. What was the last good one? It’d have to be the Waldos for me. Solid white isn’t going to sell or stand out and the splatter paint only marginally improves it. Also putting red directly on blue has always looked terrible. They need to figure this out. Ideally before the next World Cup. 

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

6 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Nike can’t stop getting in its own way on these US kits. What was the last good one? It’d have to be the Waldos for me. Solid white isn’t going to sell or stand out and the splatter paint only marginally improves it. Also putting red directly on blue has always looked terrible. They need to figure this out. Ideally before the next World Cup. 

Abstract Expressionism is one of my favorite art movements, so I do appreciate the tie that the white kits make to it. That being said, I do feel that the US needs to settle on a general look to own and call thier own once and for all, and ideally I do think that should be the Waldo route.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

This discussion is even more confounding now that we have a new set of Canada men's team kits -- they've just updated the red, white, and black teamwear catalog options from the old outdated shirt model to the newest one. Now there's a candidate for "just give the men what you gave the women". 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Digby said:

This discussion is even more confounding now that we have a new set of Canada men's team kits -- they've just updated the red, white, and black teamwear catalog options from the old outdated shirt model to the newest one. Now there's a candidate for "just give the men what you gave the women". 

It is interesting that the men and women teams don’t share jerseys. I know that the USW and the USM did not until recently, but the men having literal team wear and the women getting bespoke kits is embarrassing to say the least. I hope the Nike deal runs out so they can go to Adidas or another brand who will at least give them more creativity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Are they really so short on money that they're just ordering teamwear kits now? This is sooooo bad. Just wear the same kit as the ladies instead of this crap. At least slap a pattern on there. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Fans in Canada and the men's team players were rightfully pissed off that they played in the World Cup and couldn't get anything more than an off-the-shelf template kit from Nike, and now Nike turns around and gives them this garbage??

This is maybe the ugliest thing ever worn by athletes representing Canada on the world stage:

spacer.png

Nike is fully capable of designing a good Canada kit. How is it possible they can't just deliver exactly what the women are gonna wear for the men???spacer.png

• Like 4

I thought it was lazy that Nike gave Canada WNT the same jersey they had for the '21 Olympics, just with the geometric patterned darkened to be partial black instead of entirely tonal red. That this is appealing by comparison with how the men are outfitted is... woof. Would've made sense in the dark ages but a total squandering of the moment for the men's game in Canada.

• Like 2