2023 International (National Team) Soccer Kits

MJWalker45

wr28dUA.png

At a minimum, the USWNT will be gettign new home shirts for the World Cup. No word on if an alternate shirt to be shared between the men and the women will also be available, but if they follow the pattern they've been using since 2015, I'd expect a "third shirt" that will replace the alternate.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm just glad we won't have to see the terrible white shirts in another major tournament. Using gold feels like a risky flex. I've actually thought about the WNT getting gold trim before for one of these extra Cup shirts but always imagined it would be on a navy/red shirt... gold on white seems potentially a legibility nightmare but might work nicely with navy trim.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Gold trim feels like a logical and appropriate addition for the WNT seeing as they’re two-time reigning WC champs. I suspect they’d keep the names and numbers navy (or at least I’d hope), but gold for the Nike swoosh, stars, and other small accents could work very well. I hope it’s not as simplistic as the French MNT’s current kit; with a white base it’ll at least need contrasting collar and/or cuff trim IMO. 

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Cannot reveal anything else for obvious reasons, but the alternate shirt is also going to be available in mens' sizes - no clue if that means it's also going to be used by the MNT. 

Nike has been making the women's jerseys available in men's sizes since 2019. I have the last home shirt with the women's stars on it. 

19 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Gold trim feels like a logical and appropriate addition for the WNT seeing as they’re two-time reigning WC champs. I suspect they’d keep the names and numbers navy (or at least I’d hope), but gold for the Nike swoosh, stars, and other small accents could work very well. I hope it’s not as simplistic as the French MNT’s current kit; with a white base it’ll at least need contrasting collar and/or cuff trim IMO. 

If all they do is move the badge of the current shirt to the left breast I'll be disappointed. I'm hopeful that won't be the case though. Navy will be there at least. As long as they avoid some weird non USA colors for the aways I'll be happy.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Italys adidas home looks pretty decent. The crest leaves a bit to be desired but for a new kit maker it’s a safe/solid start for a team that has usually gone with a no thrills look (save the Euro 2020 jerseys)

On 12/26/2022 at 7:49 AM, pepis21 said:

Italy home kit:

Nicely but pretty lame IMO, pattern is almost identical to this:

Which was a goalie kit last season. I'd say at this moment Puma 1-0 Adidas. Probably it's gonna be 1-1 after away kit.

I wouldn’t say those two patterns are almost identical, they have a similar overall shape but the keeper shirt pattern almost had a DNA look to it with all of the lines. That said, the pattern on the new Italy shirt reads more as a wave/ripple pattern than marble due to the blue base color and the pattern being tonal. I think the pattern and shirt as a whole is fine; decent first effort for Adidas but pretty unremarkable. If it were me, I would’ve changed the gold accents to white or gotten rid of them altogether. The flag accents on the side/hem stripes are solid, but the gold adds nothing to this particular shirt IMO. The crest is also still very underwhelming, but that’s a different discussion.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• MJWalker45 changed the title to 2023 International (National Team) Soccer Kits
On 2022-12-29 at 2:07 AM, radchad said:

As long as the USWNT don't take a gold flex as far as 2007 ever again, they'll be fine 

As obviously bad as those outfield kits were, the keeper kits from that era had colorways in purple or light gray that could only be described as hospital scrubs. Big yikes!

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That extra space created by the arch of the shield over “ITALIA” is driving me crazy. That really isn’t a well executed crest at all. What was so wrong with the prior crest that it had to give way to this?

Agreed 100%, although I think what bothers me most might honestly be the extra space to the right of the second ‘A’. The pointed ‘A’ gives the illusion that the type is off-centered at first glance and also throws off the balance and visual weight. They needed to allow for more space on either side of the type.

Frankly, they easily could’ve taken the font from the previous crest and straightened it out. My preference would’ve been for them to just make a couple small tweaks to the previous crest. Below are four quick ideas of what they could’ve done. Far left would’ve been my first choice, far right would’ve been my last choice but still an improvement over what they went with IMO.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 12/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, Digby said:

I'm just glad we won't have to see the terrible white shirts in another major tournament. Using gold feels like a risky flex. I've actually thought about the WNT getting gold trim before for one of these extra Cup shirts but always imagined it would be on a navy/red shirt... gold on white seems potentially a legibility nightmare but might work nicely with navy trim.

il_fullxfull.4203645651_arhe.jpg

20170422_2b8c47.jpg

The men used gold on their 2006 WC kits and it looked great. If they can do it with no WC titles then the women can do it with 4 and as the reigning champ. France also used gold on their kits in Qatar. 

• Love 1

Italy’s new adidas kits were officially presented today.

Home kit is fairly standard affair, but my word, that away kit might be up for kit of the year. I’d go as far to say it would be one of the top shirts at the World Cup had they qualified.

This is a great interview with the adidas designers on the creative process and interactions with the federation:

https://www.soccerbible.com/interviews/2023/01/adidas-design-team-talk-the-new-italy-home-away-kits/

Like we saw with plenty of adidas teams in Qatar, there are multiple shorts available. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the preferred home kit is blue paired with white shorts (all blue as the alternate) while the preferred away kit is all off white (with navy shorts as the alternate). The royal blue shorts and socks have the same pattern as the shirt.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Number font looks incredible.

Truly a bespoke kit. I haven’t found a great pic, but apparently the fabric layer beneath the adidas stripes has one stripe in green, one in white, and one red. If you have seen the authentic adidas World Cup range in person then you know what I’m talking about, but if not, it’s like you see on this Spain shirt with the sliver of yellow beneath the adidas stripes. If you turn the shirt inside out, then you can see the hidden colors more easily.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

I haven’t found a great pic, but apparently the fabric layer beneath the adidas stripes has one stripe in green, one in white, and one red.

Here's the best pic I could find of this:

home-shoulder-detail.jpg

It's hard to make out the green against the blue shirt, but you can see it in this one closer to the collar.

• Like 1

The layered, ribbed Adidas stripes are by far my favorite part of this Adidas template. Having the flag colors on the underneath layer is a smart move for Italy.

Both kits are fine, I wouldn’t say either are exceptional and they both pale in comparison to the Puma 2020/21 Renaissance kits IMO. The marble on the blue kit still reads as more of a water ripple to me, and I think they either needed to add more gold accents to the shirt or scrap them altogether. The flag side/back hem stripe is great, though. The away is definitely the better of the two, but I can’t say I love the navy being used in the marble pattern when it’s already the primary accent color of the shirt. I do like the subtle gold veining, but shades of gray would’ve been a better complement to the gold in the pattern and would’ve been more true to what you most often think of with Carrara marble.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1