NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

Again, we're at the point where punters and kickers don't even need numbers.  Everyone knows who they are, and they're not allowed to be touched, so just put them in neon jerseys or some other pattern - sorta like soccer goalies.

They'd have to figure out the rules regarding trick plays, but it's probably not a big deal.  It's 2023 - nobody cares what number the punter is wearing... and nobody cares.

There - two numbers just got freed up.

• LOL 3
  • Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

54 minutes ago, Gary said:

FWIW - Mecum Auto Auctions is running at State Farm Stadium on those days.  

Do stadiums typically close their team shops when non-football events are taking place?

4 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Do stadiums typically close their team shops when non-football events are taking place?

It does, but I received a DM from Mike Jurecki saying that theres a good chance that the unveiling may happen either this weekend  or next week. So stay tuned and buckle up

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Gary said:

It does, but I received a DM from Mike Jurecki saying that theres a good chance that the unveiling may happen either this weekend  or next week. So stay tuned and buckle up

beavis-and-butt-head-party-hard-travel-q

23 hours ago, Cujo said:

The NFL will never get to this level of cool -- which I'd be 100% onboard with.

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "15 Years Ago: "He Hate Me" got most publicity,  but there were other unique XFL jersey backs https://t.co/DTuA8GimCB" /  TwitterDarren Rovell on Twitter: "15 Years Ago: "He Hate Me" got most publicity,  but there were other unique XFL jersey backs https://t.co/DTuA8GimCB" /  TwitterCbIwQAoW0AMXyy_?format=jpg&name=large

(not pictured 'TEABAGGER')

Ezf_q_eXIAY6hq6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

----

I've said this before on the boards, as someone who watches the CFL, I can't imagine why people are so up in arms about the numbering rules. Outside of indicating which players aren't eligible receivers, which is just o-line, the numbering rules really don't matter.

The CFL barely has any uniform rules. Ineligible players must use between 50-69 and then that's it. Any other other position, you can wear whatever you want outside of those numbers. Most players tend to have numbers that "traditionally" and "historically" fit the position they play anyways, but I don't know why people are making such a huge deal. In recent years, the Stampeders have had prominent d-linemen wearing #4, #7 and #39 and I think it's cool.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, Gary said:

👀👀

35 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

----

I've said this before on the boards, as someone who watches the CFL, I can't imagine why people are so up in arms about the numbering rules. Outside of indicating which players aren't eligible receivers, which is just o-line, the numbering rules really don't matter.

The CFL barely has any uniform rules. Ineligible players must use between 50-69 and then that's it. Any other other position, you can wear whatever you want outside of those numbers. Most players tend to have numbers that "traditionally" and "historically" fit the position they play anyways, but I don't know why people are making such a huge deal. In recent years, the Stampeders have had prominent d-linemen wearing #4, #7 and #39 and I think it's cool.

Your answer is in your response, you just don't see it. You are in support of what you are used to.

Beyond being used to it, it offers value in that, when you ARE used to it, you know the position of the player based on the number.  Hey, 53 is covering 80. That's a mismatch.  I get that not everyone does that, just like not everyone uses TV numbers to ID players. Because any one of us don't make use of a tool isn't a good enough reason to be opposed to it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

It's where I sit.

47 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

----

1. I’m 100% in favor of “Big Daddy 69” being allowed in the NFL. 
2. The CFL isn’t the NFL. What CFL or NCAA fans are used to is great for them. 

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Your answer is in your response, you just don't see it. You are in support of what you are used to.

Beyond being used to it, it offers value in that, when you ARE used to it, you know the position of the player based on the number.  Hey, 53 is covering 80. That's a mismatch.  I get that not everyone does that, just like not everyone uses TV numbers to ID players. Because any one of us don't make use of a tool isn't a good enough reason to be opposed to it.

I think that made a lot of sense when the pro game was expanding through television. Remember that the NFL instituted its original strict number policies in the 1950's in imitation of the college game (which had already standardized numbers by position). So millions of eyeballs that had never seen an NFL game could recognize player positions on grainy black and white television and figure which of the single-bar facemasked bodies was a receiver or lineman.

Today, however, we have high definition streams and everyone has some unique combination of helmet type, facemask, undershirt, gloves, cleats, wristbands, and jewelry that everyone knows from their fantasy teams. We know so much more about individual players than we probably ever have so rather than saying "53 covering 80" is a mismatch" we can say "There's no way Roquan Smith can cover Justin Jefferson for more than half a second."

12 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Today, however, we have high definition streams and everyone has some unique combination of helmet type, facemask, undershirt, gloves, cleats, wristbands, and jewelry that everyone knows from their fantasy teams. We know so much more about individual players than we probably ever have so rather than saying "53 covering 80" is a mismatch" we can say "There's no way Roquan Smith can cover Justin Jefferson for more than half a second."

It's also not like football is a sport with changes on the fly and non-stop action. Doesn't matter if the player formerly known as 53 is now 4, it'll still be a mismatch that will be seen because the game stops every couple seconds or so to reset for the next action where everybody lines up across from each other where their position are supposed to stand. Then once the play starts, you can see which direction the players are going.

I'd argue the players position on the field and formations are way more important to finding mismatches than jersey numbers, if that is the worry. Regardless of if the MLB is 53 or 4, they're still going to stand and look like a MLB before the play and during the play (for the most part) because football is so systematic.

All I'm saying is that if more jersey number rule loosening comes to pass, you will all survive.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

9 hours ago, Indigo said:

"I keep seeing on Twitter, 'Ochocinco 2.0,'" Higgins said. "I don't want to be a 2.0. No disrespect to Chad. He's a great receiver, this and that. I just don't want to be a 2.0 for myself, man. I want to be Tee Higgins, 1.0, No. 5."

Which makes you wonder why Higgins picked #85 to begin with. 🥴🥴

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, Gary said:

Looking forward to it.

I’m not expecting it, but I’d love to see something along the lines of the set before last, but with a splash of Athletic Gold. Either that, or adding a Sand/Tan, which could lend itself well to a Chicago-era throwback well. But we’ll find out shortly.

16 hours ago, Echo said:

Sure, I mean, if you want to live in AJ McCarron's shadow...

This may be better suited for one of the 1,000 iterations of "right uniform for right player" threads over in Sports Logo General Discussion (and I know you're being facetious), but my immediate and reflexive reaction to that was "Hey, AJ McCarron's correct jersey is only a Battlehawks jersey now". Haha.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I know the Buccaneers usually do for non Bucs events.  It might be a dual purpose closing just based on timing.

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

Which makes you wonder why Higgins picked #85 to begin with. 🥴🥴

Because 5 was claimed by Ryan Finley thru the 2020 season per this history.  

https://aws.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?team=cin&number=5

The league also forces players to buy the existing inventory of their old number if the player wanted to change immediately.  Dalvin Cook found this out a few years ago when he wanted to switch from 33 to 4.  It says i the below article, that "Cook learned that if he waited a year, he'd be able to make the switch at no cost. So that's what he did; the Vikings' star running back spent a fifth and final NFL season with 33 on his jersey in 2021."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-dalvin-cook-switches-no-4-jersey-number-family#:~:text=But then he found out,"That's important nowadays."

12 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Because 5 was claimed by Ryan Finley thru the 2020 season per this history.  

https://aws.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?team=cin&number=5

5 wasn't an allowed number for wide receivers in 2020. It doesn't matter that someone else was wearing it.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Again, we're at the point where punters and kickers don't even need numbers.  Everyone knows who they are, and they're not allowed to be touched, so just put them in neon jerseys or some other pattern - sorta like soccer goalies.

They'd have to figure out the rules regarding trick plays, but it's probably not a big deal.  It's 2023 - nobody cares what number the punter is wearing... and nobody cares.

There - two numbers just got freed up.

So just give them netball designations? K and P? Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

The Guardian's guide to playing netball – part three: centre | Netball |  The Guardian

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png