NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I think comparing the Cards to either of them is a stretch. Chiefs have maintained their AFL heritage look for most of their existence. The Steelers uniform became iconic with the success post merger. Colts and Raiders also in those tiers.

When did the Cardinals look ever move into that zone?

Beyond just like simplicity and retro vibes in a uniform are they really an iconic team look wise that is worth the ire? Especially since they ditched the design part of that. If you really want to look at success the times they’ve actually been relevant have been when they have additional colors in their scheme. Tan at the beginning, black and a bit of yellow in the last 18 years.

I totally get wanting to stick to the old, especially here where most people slant that way, but seems like an odd hill to die on when that simple just red and white uniform died almost two decades ago. And by a giant margin when it was what they wore they were one of the worst franchises in the league.

I don’t think they should change the color scheme  because I don’t think it will look good. If they did add yellow trim I would find it ugly because I don’t think red/black/gold/white is a particularly attractive color scheme and red/white/black has been their schtick for over 100 years.  Like I said, the uniforms design isn’t my issue, I’m saying it would be an odd choice to add another trim color to their uniforms out of the blue. In that sense it would be similar to the Chiefs putting black trim on their stripes or numbers.  I don’t care about their long history of being irrelevant losers. I don’t think putting yellow on the uniforms will look good. It’s hard to balance 4 colors on any football uniforms. I just want the Cardinals to look good. I think their best look is red/white, maybe with some

black trim. Doesn’t have to be “old” but I think simple is the way to go. I said before, they should look like the Jaguars in red and white, simple, but with some contemporary touches.

You can’t really say they used tan as a part of their color scheme in the past, everyone wore tan-colored canvas pants back in the day. They can sell all the yellow fan gear they want but it should keep itself to the Cardinal’s beak on the uniforms, IMO.  If they insist on adding/changing a color, I’d change that beak to tan or copper. I’m not anti-change. I’m anti-crappy football uniforms. It’s not that I think yellow belongs to the Chiefs. I just don’t think it looks good on the Cardinals in any of the thousands of concepts I’ve seen around the internet. I’m not dying on the “old is good, change is bad hill” I’m dying on the “I think it would look :censored:ty and be a mistake hill”

• Like 5

10 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

The Cardinals are literally the oldest franchise in the league lol

Literally, as opposed to figuratively? That word is not necessary.  That word along with "clean" and "icy" needs to be used way less, if not eliminated.

Where did I say anything about the age of the franchise? You're taking my comments out of context. I said absolutely nothing about the age of the franchise. I'm talking about the tradition of the uniforms, which I clearly articulated but you chose to ignore and bring up something irrelevant to the conversation.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 4

This isn't my fight, but allow me to provide my interpretation (which may be incorrect.)

15 hours ago, Durden said:

The Chiefs and Steelers have mostly kept to tradition with their uniforms,

meaning... their uniforms have more/less been the same for a very long time.  The steelers changed it up along the way, but have basically been black and yellow forever, and have a clearly-established aesthetic that's become traditional and unlikely to be monkeyed with.  The Chiefs and Steelers own a "look".

15 hours ago, Durden said:

The Cardinals don't have that tradition like the Chiefs and Steelers so I believe yellow would be fine as a complementary color since yellow is the color of the beak in the logo.

The Cardinals demolished their identity in the mid '00s, essentially throwing away any tradition that they had.  They no longer have any aesthetical tradition, and adding yellow or some other color doesn't ruin anything because there's nothing to ruin.

You could argue that moves and name changes (St. L, PHX, AZ) also impact tradition, but at least on-field, it didn't too much.  But as someone else noted, does tradition really mean anything if nobody but a couple of people on an internet message board even notice?  

IMO (shifting away from the other poster's comments) the team should have gone through a complete rebrand, including name, once it moved to Phoenix - and especially once it moved into the space ship.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the biggest issue in the Cardinals' lack of tradition is the multiple relocations. Ending up in Arizona in a modern stadium makes it hard to remember that the Chicago Cards wearing faded hand me down jerseys from the U of Chicago Maroons even existed. 

That said, I don't know why "simple" has to read as "traditional" necessarily. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I think the biggest issue in the Cardinals' lack of tradition is the multiple relocations. Ending up in Arizona in a modern stadium makes it hard to remember that the Chicago Cards wearing faded hand me down jerseys from the U of Chicago Maroons even existed. 

That said, I don't know why "simple" has to read as "traditional" necessarily. 

Agreed. Maybe it's because I'm  a St. Louisan but the Cardinals brand just feels like St. Louis's team. It probably has to do with the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals as well. 

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Check the primary logos and tell me the Chiefs have make-believe "rights" to using red and yellow.

Kansas City Chiefs Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brandArizona Cardinals Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

Poor argument, Cujo; the Cardinals have never used Athletic Gold in their uniforms and the Chiefs have always used it.  You can’t just make your argument based on the logo.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, TruColor said:

The Cardinals changes ARE happening...I have in fact, seen the new helmets.

TruColor, when are you going to spill the beans on what you know?  Give us the Reddit rumors and the rest of the juicy details you’ve learned.

Grey & Athletic Gold additions…or is that Athletic Gold actually truly Orange?  

Shifting from Cardinal Red to a deeper, darker shade, almost Maroon?

Definite facemask change?

Don’t hold out on us.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

22 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

TruColor, when are you going to spill the beans on what you know?  Give us the Reddit rumors and the rest of the juicy details you’ve learned.

Grey & Athletic Gold additions…or is that Athletic Gold actually truly Orange?  

Shifting from Cardinal Red to a deeper, darker shade, almost Maroon?

Definite facemask change?

Don’t hold out on us.

Is this the basis of your questions? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Hurl 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have NO idea if this rumored Maroon, Orange and Silver color palette is actually happening, but I have been talking with that Reddit user a lot, and he definitely has connections. I mean, I've now got the Pantone values for them and the silly Nike-speak for the colors ("Desert Night" for the Black for example). Seems incredulous that they would go in this direction. There's a lot more to the design of the uniforms than you're seeing there - these are extremely basic compared to what this guy is describing to me.

However, he and other contact of mine (who showed me the pic of the new White helmet) both have the exact same descriptions of the helmet. That I DO believe. No idea what the uniforms will actually be. I have a suspicion the Maroon/Orange/Silver could be an abandoned concept that is being put out there to throw us all off.

If this M/O/S design is truly happening, it might be one of the most extreme makeovers we've ever seen. Except for perhaps, the Bucs in '97.

(And they also have a darker Red, Orange and a little Silver in there...hmmm...)

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, TruColor said:

However, he and other contact of mine (who showed me the pic of the new White helmet) both have the exact same descriptions of the helmet. That I DO believe. No idea what the uniforms will actually be. I have a suspicion the Maroon/Orange/Silver could be an abandoned concept that is being put out there to throw us all off.

But based on what you've seen, would the helmets be out of place in a maroon/orange/silver color palette? 

As much as the Cardinals could go for a full reboot, I'm not sure doing so while retaining the name "Cardinals" would make a lot of sense. A maroon/orange/silver color set doesn't feel very cardinal to me, even if you try to call the maroon red. 

14 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

But based on what you've seen, would the helmets be out of place in a maroon/orange/silver color palette? 

As much as the Cardinals could go for a full reboot, I'm not sure doing so while retaining the name "Cardinals" would make a lot of sense. A maroon/orange/silver color set doesn't feel very cardinal to me, even if you try to call the maroon red. 

They would look more Sun Devils with the maroon, that is if we're talking Valley based teams in Phoenix

18 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Debatable

spacer.png

(Edit: @TruColor beat me to the picture)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TruColor said:

I have NO idea if this rumored Maroon, Orange and Silver color palette is actually happening, but I have been talking with that Reddit user a lot, and he definitely has connections. I mean, I've now got the Pantone values for them and the silly Nike-speak for the colors ("Desert Night" for the Black for example). Seems incredulous that they would go in this direction. There's a lot more to the design of the uniforms than you're seeing there - these are extremely basic compared to what this guy is describing to me.

If this M/O/S design is truly happening, it might be one of the most extreme makeovers we've ever seen. Except for perhaps, the Bucs in '97.

(And they also have a darker Red, Orange and a little Silver in there...hmmm...)

Wouldn't be surprised that he is telling the truth. I could definitely see him getting the colors a little mixed up if the photos was filtered or something like that

Just now, TruColor said:

If they were going to go full-on Desert Cardinal, I think I'd prefer this as the helmet:

spacer.png

Maybe with a Maroon facemask though...the Orange is a bit awful.

Hmmm - absence of black.

It's where I sit.