NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

57 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Drastic color changes happen a lot in sports. Not sure why now it’s a big issue.

I feel like this is only true really in basketball.  Do teams change shaded in the NFL? Yeah Chargers, Eagles, Jets, ETC but rarely do you see something NBA esque like the Jazz going from Blue, Green, Gold to Yellow and Black.

32 minutes ago, TruColor said:

For the record, I'm still hoping that this is all a smokescreen, and the real uniforms will be a modern/traditional hybrid of some kind.

If it's a smokescreen...what version of the helmet did you see? Was it a graphic, a photo of the real physical helmet, a retail image from Riddell, or something from a logo slick? 

Quick thought...after seeing photo of the stadium with all the red seats, I was reminded that the team has cultivated a "Red Sea" mantra for years now...it'd be weird if they said "Haha changeup!! Going maroon now" 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Did he say Cardinals but mean Virginia Tech?

I doubt that's real, but those are horrible. Why are the numbers so small?

That's just a horrible photoshop, even as admitted by the reddit guy who drew it up. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Seems at least possible that this Maroon and Orange business is on an alternate uniform only, right? Some have seen it, some haven't. It looks out of place with the white helmet and doesn't match the draft hats but seems legit? I'm betting on an alternate uniform going desert themed. Sand, orange, maroon, gray, more drab and dusty than the actual identity and uniforms.

32 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

If it's a smokescreen...what version of the helmet did you see? Was it a graphic, a photo of the real physical helmet, a retail image from Riddell, or something from a logo slick? 

Quick thought...after seeing photo of the stadium with all the red seats, I was reminded that the team has cultivated a "Red Sea" mantra for years now...it'd be weird if they said "Haha changeup!! Going maroon now" 

I saw a close up photo of the helmet in the Riddell factory.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, eRay said:

Seems at least possible that this Maroon and Orange business is on an alternate uniform only, right? Some have seen it, some haven't. It looks out of place with the white helmet and doesn't match the draft hats but seems legit? I'm betting on an alternate uniform going desert themed. Sand, orange, maroon, gray, more drab and dusty than the actual identity and uniforms.

4 new jerseys and 3 new sets of pants from what I've heard.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I don’t think they should change the color scheme  because I don’t think it will look good. If they did add yellow trim I would find it ugly because I don’t think red/black/gold/white is a particularly attractive color scheme and red/white/black has been their schtick for over 100 years.  Like I said, the uniforms design isn’t my issue, I’m saying it would be an odd choice to add another trim color to their uniforms out of the blue. In that sense it would be similar to the Chiefs putting black trim on their stripes or numbers.  I don’t care about their long history of being irrelevant losers. I don’t think putting yellow on the uniforms will look good. It’s hard to balance 4 colors on any football uniforms. I just want the Cardinals to look good. I think their best look is red/white, maybe with some

black trim. Doesn’t have to be “old” but I think simple is the way to go. I said before, they should look like the Jaguars in red and white, simple, but with some contemporary touches.

You can’t really say they used tan as a part of their color scheme in the past, everyone wore tan-colored canvas pants back in the day. They can sell all the yellow fan gear they want but it should keep itself to the Cardinal’s beak on the uniforms, IMO.  If they insist on adding/changing a color, I’d change that beak to tan or copper. I’m not anti-change. I’m anti-crappy football uniforms. It’s not that I think yellow belongs to the Chiefs. I just don’t think it looks good on the Cardinals in any of the thousands of concepts I’ve seen around the internet. I’m not dying on the “old is good, change is bad hill” I’m dying on the “I think it would look :censored:ty and be a mistake hill”

Gotcha, tough to tell where everyone is coming from on it. I pointed out the tan stuff because it was a color in their design/striping way back beyond just the pants (which was their next update. 

Yeah ultimately end result will be the only thing that matters. 

• Like 1

It really isn't all that implausible to misinterpret an extremely light-ish shade of orange as yellow/athletic gold. Plus, @TruColor has already seen and [all but confirmed] confirmed the color values. It wouldn't be a total shock to see something more akin to Velveeta cheese-ish orange-yellow just for the "uniqueness" factor.

And also, the more I chew on this, the more I like in my head the idea of a slightly darker red (though I don't know if I like it as dark as VT's maroon) and a cheee-ish orange-yellow, along with some desert gray or whatever they/Nike are calling it. I AM willing to bet my next three paychecks that one of the four jerseys will be gray...no doubt with red/maroon (pyrrhuloxia?) numbers trimmed with beak yellow (yeah, that's what I'll call it), because the Swoosh can't help themselves with unnecessary gray alternates.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 hours ago, SteeloGreen said:

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

There’s a small chance the black helmet is retired; the Eagles’ black helmets were just for 2022. 

Yeah I don't think any of those announced last year are permanent rotational options, unless it was a classic style.

I'd expect teams to switch up and/or tweak their alternate looks more often than not

Lurie and the Eagles are pushing, or said they’d be pushing, for at least 3 helmets so they can keep the Black.

But yeah I agree it’ll probably be rotating thing in the league. Especially if 3 does get approval.

32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Lurie and the Eagles are pushing, or said they’d be pushing, for at least 3 helmets so they can keep the Black.

Source?  I mean, it sounds reasonable that they would, but I haven't read anything from them other than having the throwback this year.

They could probably wear the black regardless, since half the people probably can't even tell the difference between it and the midnight green version, so maybe nobody with the league would even notice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Source?  I mean, it sounds reasonable that they would, but I haven't read anything from them other than having the throwback this year.

They could probably wear the black regardless, since half the people probably can't even tell the difference between it and the midnight green version, so maybe nobody with the league would even notice.

I’ll try to find it a clip of it, but straight from Lurie’s mouth last year.

they mention it here

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-reveal-black-alternate-helmets-2022

edit: he talks about it here at his press conference last year.

uniform talk starts at like 3:30. First what the Kelly greens will look like for 2023, then the black helmet and how they’d try to keep it for 2023 as a third helmet.

• Like 1

I’m just going to remain calm and wait for the Cards to either leak or officially reveal. No use getting angry and changing the color palette until we see how it’s executed. The reality is yellow is such a minimal color in their scheme right now and they’re a red and white team. I could accept a change in colors if they’re still primarily dark red (maroon or burgundy) and white. Orange, yellow, copper, or sand like have been discussed could work in the palette so long as they are accent colors. If that’s the case, this could be a success. If they start adding other doses of color to the uniforms, then this has the potential to be very bad and go against the century plus of history the organization has.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

It's been talked about in multiple places. I'm amazed you haven't heard. 

ProFootballTalk has reported on it repeatedly. 

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

Obviously they aren't truly irrelevant, but I mean, look through out NFL history, with what's remembered and shown in those docs, iconic pictures, and NFL films stuff, or hell even iconic players, the Cardinals as a team, and as a result, their brand, are utterly abandoned and forgotten about, outside of Super Bowl 43, and maybe when they talk about Ottis Anderson prior to Super Bowl 25. I think they should stick with red white and black, because it looks good, but I think overhauling the brand isn't really ridiculous or unquestionable, it's fairly logical, and if it looks good, it looks good, and frankly I don't think we're losing that much. I think people know that if they change colors, the team isn't magically become good, but the teams brand has been a mess for nearly 20 years and needs fixing, and if it looks good with a overhaul, that's fine, there's no real cardinals tradition. 

I just find the idea that a legacy that predates the NFL is disposable. 

History matters, Even if it's not pretty. 

• Like 1