NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

All this talk about the Cardinals potentially getting rid of history and yet this is the first uniform they ever wore.

1920_ChiCardinals.png

Remember when they wore blue and silver? No?

1936_ChiCardinals.png

I don't think altering the shades is the worst thing ever, it stays in line with the general idea they've had since forever. We're not talking about the Yankees, we're talking about the Cardinals.

I'm more worried about the actual uniforms then the colors. You can change colors in sports all you want but if the uniform is garbage then it's a true failure and we've seen this with the Utah Jazz.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 3

bSLCtu2.png

Don't make me tap the sign: NFL before 1960 doesn't really count.

It may not be the end of the world if the Cardinals tweak their shade of red a little bit. I think a lot of their marketing material is more of a plain red than their official cardinal red, such that you don't remember there's a difference unless you see them against, say, Kansas City:

Chiefs News 1/9: Bruce Arians admits the Cardinals wanted Mahomes -  Arrowhead Pride

So maybe a little step toward maroon might be okay. I don't think they should look modern, though. They tried that and it looked terrible. Even in their suburban Phoenix hellmall, they should look like a really old team.

• Like 15

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When they were pumping out fashion jerseys from the early 00s, someone checked off on a blue alternate (since I guess the AZ flag is 1/2 blue).

This would've been chaos had the Cards actually tried it.

https-3A-2F-2Fimages-offerup-com-2FCIVdf

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

When they were pumping out fashion jerseys from the early 00s, someone checked off on a blue alternate (since I guess the AZ flag is 1/2 blue).

I remember that, a gold 49ers jersey, a yellow Vikings jersey and a yellow Packers jersey in NFL 2K5.

• Like 4

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

An in-game blue jersey would’ve been nice

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

An in-game blue jersey would’ve been nice

It would have looked so out of place with the helmet and the pants. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It would have looked so out of place with the helmet and the pants. 

White helmet, blue jersey w/red striping, white pants w/red and blue striping wouldn't have looked so bad. 

• Like 3

There are a number of acceptable directions for the Cards (Arizona flag, desert cardinal, old school stripes), but my preferred route would be stripping it all down and owning a simple look of red and white. Obviously they aren't the Yankees or whatever, but I like when century-old franchises embrace the fact.

The Jags treatment should have gone to the Cards. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, IceCap said:

White helmet, blue jersey w/red striping, white pants w/red and blue striping wouldn't have looked so bad. 

Fair point.

Though in 2002-04 (when the alts were showing up in 2k) the Cardinals only had white pants with red stripes and vice versa…so it would have been a white helmet with no blue and pants with no blue. 

I think the 98-99 Puma set might have had more blue accents. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here's a better example of what I was talking about: 

Former Cardinals coach Don Coryell elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

The decal and the TV numbers look like a pretty basic shade of red, but everywhere else looks a little darker and more bluish. 

St. Louis Football Cardinals på Twitter: "Remembering an all-time NFL  great, Larry Wilson who would have turned 84 today. ✔️ 5x All-Pro ✔️ 8x Pro  Bowl ✔️ First NFL Defensive POY 1966

If they were to go with this, but maybe just a smidge darker, it would do a nice job setting them off from the Chiefs and 49ers and maybe get them a little more aligned with the Diamondbacks and that other Phoenix team that may not relocate.

• Like 11

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, tBBP said:

Well then...[something that looks like] maroon and [something that looks like] orange...if nothing else it'd instantly be, at least on the surface, one of the more unique colorways in pro sports. (Also, I 100% believe desert gray or whatver they're gonna call it will somehow be present in the new brand, as well.) Doesn't surprise me that they'd go for a darkened red—it syncs up with the Coyotes' and DBacks' sedona-ish red, as well.

The Coyotes latest reverse retro had a scheme of burnt orange, brick red, and black, so it wouldn't exactly be unprecedented for the market.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm grateful that the Dodgers and Giants maintained their names and logos (even though they don't make sense) when they moved in the '50s, but that was a different time, and those franchises had cultural significance.  The Cardinals should have rebranded after St. Louis (they had a logical reason to stay the Cardinals there).  In my eyes (which is not necessarily how the league or legal system treats it), once the city name changes, it's essentially a new franchise.  They should have been the Coyotes or Diamondbacks before those other teams came around.  

Hell - even the A's should have changed when they went to KC, but they probably couldn't even afford a rebrand the first couple of years (and while they fell into irrelevancy in Philadelphia, they were still recently removed from being among the top teams in the brief history of the sport.)

It gets icky when a team like the Rams keeps its name when moving to LA, then (hypothetically changes for St. Louis), then changes back when they go back to LA, but that's a very odd case.  The Raiders are one of only a few franchises who's brands are more of a lifestyle and transcend location.. 

Since that's clearly not going to happen here, I'll take a Jags-style reboot with these new colors and maybe a tad more flair - but nothing like the over-piped, paneled, and yoked disaster that they forced us to watch for the last nearly-two decades.  

Also hoping for no perma-memorial, though that seems to be a trend lately.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Considering that I don't think I've ever seen people talk about the Arizona Cardinals this much, changing the uniform is a good idea on paper. They really don't have a legacy as franchise age alone doesn't make a legacy. So, why not get a fresh coat of paint? It's easier than actually putting a good product on the field.  

29 minutes ago, TruColor said:

When the Cardinals unveiled their new uniforms way back in 2005, this forum broke the internet. It was crazy.

Ah. Back in the 'Fun With Pantone' days.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6uXNWAo.png

10 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

There are a number of acceptable directions for the Cards (Arizona flag, desert cardinal, old school stripes), but my preferred route would be stripping it all down and owning a simple look of red and white. Obviously they aren't the Yankees or whatever, but I like when century-old franchises embrace the fact.

The Jags treatment should have gone to the Cards. 

I’ll do ya one better: cardinal and light cream. Desert grey for accents and facemasks. Of course, I would fully understand anyone’s reservations about not using pure white after the Rams’ “bone” debacle, but I think a simple design with crimson, cream, and sparse desert grey (basically like the black on their St. Louis set) could really pop. 

• Like 2