College Football 2023

Rixaroo

4 minutes ago, solvetica said:

New Kansas uniforms on the way. Should be revealed this evening.

The wordmark across the chest feels overly big, but the more traditional design is an improvement, at least at first glance. Trajan wasn't the best choice for a football uniform.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Don't mind big chest wordmarks in CFB, in fact it makes it look even more collegiate and classic. 

Only nitpick is the stripes are too similar to Kansas State. Hoping they go back to rocking the KU on the helmet instead of the big, gaudy iterations of the Jayhawk logo, which are just a mess.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Don't mind big chest wordmarks in CFB, in fact it makes it look even more collegiate and classic. 

Yea, I love it too and think it fits Kansas well. I absolutely hated the Trajan typeface they've used for like 15 years.

Also, looks like Adidas jersey logos are changing and they're only using the stripes which is so much cleaner 👀

On 7/1/2023 at 11:02 PM, tBBP said:

I'll say this for UCF and that uniform specifically: at least they're using actual brassier metallic gold.

All that said...as much as I've personally always wanted to see what straight gold and white looked like together—which that uniform does give me, for what that's worth—there ain't no way that's gonna fly on the field. It's gonna need the black—well, the jersey numbers will, anyway—for both legibility and readability.

(Did they not learn from Florida State's kerfuffle back in 2015??)

Notre Dame has been doing it for a few years in basketball, albeit with (I think) a darker gold:
AP22058652726235.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

They have a navy version as well. I'm not a huge fan, partially for readability's sake and partially because I just don't like flat gold lettering for ND (football jersey numbers have always been white-on-navy, for example).

• Like 5

6fQjS3M.png

KU letters look better than the Jayhawk on blue helmets where it gets lost but I think it looks good on their white lids.

Blue helmet looks like it has a satin finish. I think the traditional look fits Kansas better than trajan for sure, rumors that basketball will be returning to the circus font and trajan is largely phased out of the athletic department.

41 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

They've done it on the men's side too, and it's terrible. Looks like practice jerseys. Even Georgia Tech, whose school colors are officially white and gold, have stayed away from trying this. 

Notre Dame basketball: Irish ranked in top-20 of early 2022-23 poll

Honestly I like it. Just needs to be a bit darker still.

1 hour ago, solvetica said:

I kinda liked Kansas owning their previous font and these stripes don't really stand out at KANSAS (not that their football team has much reputation). That said, it's a classy look and I can't fault it.

• Like 1

can they just man the fk up and make a uniform with the circus font. our football team can barely put together a coherent look and all people ever have to say is "OMG PUT THE WARHAWK ON IT!!!1!! SO ANGRY AND BADASS!!!!" there are people in high places trying to RUIN this teams confidence before jalon daniels #6 plays his heisman winning senior season to restore America foreverWyoming Nearly Pulls Off Another Close Comeback Win Before Falling 20-17 to  Boise State - University of Wyoming Athletics

Gold numbers on a white uniform can work ok for basketball. It’s not ideal but still works fine because the game is played within a small space with only ten players on the court. The TV cameras are fairly zoomed in and it’s played in an indoor venue.

It doesn’t work for football because there are too many bodies on the field, natural lighting with the sun makes it difficult to read numbers, and it’s played within massive venues with 3-4 times the crowds of basketball.

———

Texas is updating its template. They would have been a great candidate for the Vapor FUSE with the horizontal seam instead of the deep V seam. The seam is pushing the wordmark down quite a bit. Otherwise, the uniforms are the same (including the recent changes to drop the collar logo and the TV numbers).

Better photos are on Instagram. Not sure if this will embed, but here’s the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuZpQPJM7La/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

One benefit of moving the wordmark down, though, is it will allow the SEC patch to fit when they change conferences next year. I wondered how’d they do it because their old template had the Big 12 patch right on top of the wordmark.

spacer.png

I wondered if they’d be like Ohio State with the misaligned swoosh and Big 10 patch (though Ohio State had no reason to do this, besides maybe a preference not to embroider directly across the seam).

spacer.png

4 hours ago, solvetica said:

Everything looks improved but why would they adopt the striping of their biggest rival?

Here they are. I would have to imagine a red alternate, red helmet and maybe a light blue mock throwback will be introduced later in the year.

8 minutes ago, solvetica said:

Here they are. I would have to imagine a red alternate, red helmet and maybe a light blue mock throwback will be introduced later in the year.

No stripes on pants make this a 7.5/10 instead of a 9/10.

• Like 6

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

No stripes on pants make this a 7.5/10 instead of a 9/10.

Honestly, compared to what they have had for the last 15 years +, I'll take it but also wish the blue helmets had stripes as well as both sets of pants.

I'm really hoping the red alts will have "JAYHAWKS" on the chest too

These were really good, would have been perfect with white numerals, everything was downhill from there. New ones are good, but kind of boring and the helmet logo is still a mess. 

KU football status updates on RBs Herbert, Dom Williams | The Kansas City  Star

::EDIT:: Just noticed they modeled it with a white helmet that had the tapered stripes on it. Moving to a traditional style but keeping those stripes on the helmet just makes things worse b/c of the disagreement. 

• Like 7

I believe that Michigan State has plans to introduce a new throwback helmet this season featuring their "MAC" logo. The logo itself is matte white with no outline, so I assume it'll be paired with the green helmet (which is also matte iirc). They only wanted side-of-helmet decals though, not stripes, bumpers, etc. It's likely that they pair it with bumper decals, but I don't think that a helmet stripe is a lock.

7HWNtap.png