2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

On 7/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, monkeypower said:

While we're still DuckJacked, two things I remember seeing in an internet post years ago that want to take the temperature of.

Firstly, everyone knows the Mighty Ducks name came from the movie and the in-canon reason being that Gordan Bombay named the team after his boss Mr. Duckworth as a way to get Duckworth to sponsor the team. The post I saw says Michael Eisner named the movie after his fraternity, which was Delta Upsilon and who's animal/mascot is a duck.

Eisner naming the movie after his fraternity seems plausible enough for me, but I don't know about the logo. 

When searching it now, the only thing that comes up is some old Delta Upsilon info webpage hosted on the Old Dominion University website claiming the Mighty Ducks name comes from the fraternity.

If the E:60 Once Upon A Time In Anaheim documentary is to be believed, Steve Brill had already come up with the Ducks name before finishing the script and pitching the movie to Disney.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

On 2023-07-05 at 3:58 PM, monkeypower said:

Secondly, the NHL team logo is based on a flipped Delta Upsilon badge.

200px-Delta_Upsilon_Member_Badge.svg.png

Eisner naming the movie after his fraternity seems plausible enough for me, but I don't know about the logo. 

When searching it now, the only thing that comes up is some old Delta Upsilon info webpage hosted on the Old Dominion University website claiming the Mighty Ducks name comes from the fraternity.

I'm pretty sure the Ducks logo isn't a result of turning the frat logo upside down and using the triangle, more a result of the designers being tuned into pop culture and taking cues from the Factory Pomo design style that had started to hit the mainstream and which Disney itself would go all in on during the 1994 renovation of Tomorrowland at Disneyworld.

The triangle might be a nod to the Platinum Triangle of Anaheim, the Ducks were the first professional team to use the name of the city and that might be why it was silver on the road jersey.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I'm pretty sure the Ducks logo isn't a result of turning the frat logo upside down and using the triangle, more a result of the designers being tuned into pop culture and taking cues from the Factory Pomo design style that had started to hit the mainstream and which Disney itself would go all in on during the 1994 renovation of Tomorrowland at Disneyworld.

The triangle might be a nod to the Platinum Triangle of Anaheim, the Ducks were the first professional team to use the name of the city and that might be why it was silver on the road jersey.

Or a triangle is a traditional jersey crest shape ie. the penguins.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I thought that might be the case, but it turns out Anaheim came up with the Platinum Triangle well after the Ducks were formed, I believe around the early 2000's (someone from the area would probably know better - Google can only get me so far)

• Like 2

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I thought that might be the case, but it turns out Anaheim came up with the Platinum Triangle well after the Ducks were formed, I believe around the early 2000's (someone from the area would probably know better - Google can only get me so far)

The earliest sources I can find on the Wiki article date in the 2006-2007 range, which is obviously far too late to have been any kind of influence on the Ducks' original branding. Even the second article says the plans were initially made in 2004, which is still long after the Ducks came into the NHL.

So yeah, the Platinum Triangle definitely had no influence on the Ducks using a silver triangle in their branding; if I had to guess, it was likely they just did it to make the logo more visible on TV cameras at the time.

Speaking of the Ducks, I love that we are getting a plum purple jersey from them but I don’t understand why they didn’t just give us a straight throwback. If they were going to do something new, I think they should have made it at least a little more than a traditional take on the Mighty Ducks jersey. Maybe a jade shoulder yoke - just something to make it a little more interesting. 

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Speaking of the Ducks, I love that we are getting a plum purple jersey from them but I don’t understand why they didn’t just give us a straight throwback. If they were going to do something new, I think they should have made it at least a little more than a traditional take on the Mighty Ducks jersey. Maybe a jade shoulder yoke - just something to make it a little more interesting. 

I can think of a couple of reasons.  The first is that it's something new and different and the thinking is probably that something new will entice more fans to buy it than if were just the original since fans might already have it.  They are also just following the recent trend from teams of coming up with anniversary jerseys instead of wearing direct throwbacks.  Ducks did it for their 25th.  Canucks and Sabres, Kings, and Flyers for their 50th.   The Bruins are swapping out their logo.  Wouldn't be surprised if they also end up with an anniversary jersey that is something different from anything they have worn.

I think the Ducks should wear their original white jersey for their home opener at least. 

9 minutes ago, M4One said:

I can think of a couple of reasons.  The first is that it's something new and different and the thinking is probably that something new will entice more fans to buy it than if were just the original since fans might already have it.  They are also just following the recent trend from teams of coming up with anniversary jerseys instead of wearing direct throwbacks.  Ducks did it for their 25th.  Canucks and Sabres and the next 6 (except Dallas) for their 50th.   The Bruins are swapping out their logo.  Wouldn't be surprised if they also end up with an anniversary jersey that is something different from anything they have worn.

I think the Ducks should wear their original white jersey for their home opener at least. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they pull a 20th and have at least one "Throwback Night" where they wear the original jerseys and have a throwback graphic package and goal song to try and please the fanbase.

48 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Speaking of the Ducks, I love that we are getting a plum purple jersey from them but I don’t understand why they didn’t just give us a straight throwback.

I can think of one reason: they're already selling it.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, wildwing64 said:

The Ducks have started selling an Adidas Team Classics version of the original eggplant jersey. Maybe it's an early hint at another Throwback Night like they did in 2013, but it could also mean nothing in particular.

• Like 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

7 hours ago, M4One said:

The Bruins are swapping out their logo.  Wouldn't be surprised if they also end up with an anniversary jersey that is something different from anything they have worn.

I just really hope that the Bruins bring out some actual throwback jerseys for their "era nights"

• Like 2

On 7/9/2023 at 5:29 PM, IceCap said:

The New York Islanders toyed with the name Long Island Ducks. Interesting to think of what would have happened to Disney's team if that name was already spoken for. 

I think they were named as a prophetic homage to Haku and Tama.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

I think they were named as a prophetic homage to Haku and Tama.

edit: wrong thread

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 7/18/2023 at 1:38 AM, ruttep said:

spacer.png

What is going on with the photoshoot Marchand was doing earlier? No ad and the regular logo is still on the front. 

A couple of things, first off they never said they were just swapping out logos on the current H&A, so this checks out. It's a Warrior photoshoot, so they're not going to have a sponsor patch and give someone else free publicity. This is all completely normal.

• Like 2

Thanks -- I was wondering if this was an official team photoshoot.

The Boston Bruins unveiled today the team's new identity for the organization's Centennial 2023-24 season. The anniversary crest, developed in partnership with adidas and the National Hockey League, will be featured on the team's uniforms for the upcoming season.

Also, this quote from their reveal says it will be on the uniforms, so we'll see