2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

15 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

IIRC there was a reason of that. Reebok planned sweaters to be tucked into pants, but NHL banned that in last moment.

Wow that is something I did not know. Honestly, that's even more bizarre than the piping and the hem stripeless jersey. What in the world was going on over at Reebok during that time?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LMU said:

Yep, that's @Still MIGHTY in his professional sportswriting glory.

Yeah, I thought so being a listener of BASS. Shout out to the Flin Flon moose leg.

He hasn't been around here in a while, hope he's doing well. (Not in the sense that I think the reason he hasn't been around is because he's not doing well. There's two distinct thoughts there)

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, ruttep said:

I think that was mostly due to Reebok's 2007 obsession with removing hem stripes for no apparent reason. At least Original Six teams (with the exception of the Leafs) were safe from that trend, but it affected like half of the league.

Not to mention the most boring designs I've ever seen, courtesy of Dallas and Edmonton:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Reebok designed the jersey with the attention of being tucked in which is why they removed hem stripes (ironic cause the NHL banned jersey tucks shortly after) but the O6, sans Leafs, and Devils* (Lou Lam) (I may be forgetting another team or two) told them to go pound sand.

*Then Lou leaves and the Devils inexplicably removed their hem stripes for no reason about 10 years after the fact. They were trashed for it and surprisingly haven't gone back yet.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Then Lou leaves and the Devils inexplicably removed their hem stripes for no reason about 10 years after the fact. They were trashed for it and surprisingly haven't gone back yet.

I'm not surprised. I think they're trying to separate the Hughes/Hischier era from the old Lamoriello Devils. On some level, it makes sense: the Devils ran on an idiosyncratic organizational philosophy that would be borderline toxic today (micromanaging players' grooming and personal time, hostility to media, strict and narrow hierarchy, acrimonious contract negotiations) and everyone hated the neutral zone trap for making hockey unwatchable for the better part of ten years. 

But then again, they haven't really rebranded the Devils, have they? They didn't switch to a black sweater, they didn't steal my childhood idea of a devil holding a pitchfork in one hand and a hockey stick in the other, they just took a classic uniform and changed parts to make it worse. You're right: it's exactly the design the Devils would have come up with in 2007 if they had been run by an idiot. It's an effort to separate the team from what it once was, a weird little fiefdom holed up in the Meadowlands parking lot demanding not to be bothered, but it's not even a good effort. However, the Devils have as good a shot as anyone of coming out of the East this year, so we'll probably be stuck with it for a while longer.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Yeah, I thought so being a listener of BASS. Shout out to the Flin Flon moose leg.

He hasn't been around here in a while, hope he's doing well. (Not in the sense that I think the reason he hasn't been around is because he's not doing well. There's two distinct thoughts there)

Nice pull.

Zach is still part of our BASS group text*. He's doing well and we talk with him almost every day.  We're recording tonight (Zach still listens) so I'll pass along your well wishes.

*I've said it on the show and I'll say it here, some of the best shows we've ever done took place in the group text. It's a shame there's not a way to make a podcast out of it.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

Lou would have never allowed the "Jersey" jersey either.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

everyone hated the neutral zone trap for making hockey unwatchable for the better part of ten years. 

It is funny how the current Devils are the complete opposite of what Lou's teams stood for. They're one of the fastest, most skilled groups in the NHL that relies on scoring to win games. Their weak spot is goaltending, which is insane for a team that once employed Martin Brodeur. So it kind of adds up that the team went through that mini-rebrand.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I'm not surprised. I think they're trying to separate the Hughes/Hischier era from the old Lamoriello Devils. On some level, it makes sense: the Devils ran on an idiosyncratic organizational philosophy that would be borderline toxic today (micromanaging players' grooming and personal time, hostility to media, strict and narrow hierarchy, acrimonious contract negotiations) and everyone hated the neutral zone trap for making hockey unwatchable for the better part of ten years. 

But then again, they haven't really rebranded the Devils, have they? They didn't switch to a black sweater, they didn't steal my childhood idea of a devil holding a pitchfork in one hand and a hockey stick in the other, they just took a classic uniform and changed parts to make it worse. You're right: it's exactly the design the Devils would have come up with in 2007 if they had been run by an idiot. It's an effort to separate the team from what it once was, a weird little fiefdom holed up in the Meadowlands parking lot demanding not to be bothered, but it's not even a good effort. However, the Devils have as good a shot as anyone of coming out of the East this year, so we'll probably be stuck with it for a while longer.

Honestly, maybe a controversial take; I think the Devils going back to red+green as their main look would've been the better move coming out of the Lou era than anything they've done since for exactly that reason. They needed to change the branding more than they did if they want to move on from the Lou era.

• Like 1

Just saw this on hurricanes.com from a couple weeks ago. Apologies if it's already been discussed.

"In uniform planning, you typically have to map things out 18-24 months in advance based on design, retail, and other deadlines so we had to make a decision prior to even unveiling the anniversary red uniforms last year what we would be doing for this upcoming 2023-24 season. The consensus internally was to make those uniforms special for the 25th anniversary season and return to the current red uniforms in 2023-24 since they still instill strong brand equity and provide us time to evaluate what the future of our uniforms could and should look like," Forman continued. "We definitely took note of the extremely positive feedback from the anniversary uniforms last season and plan to have it as a big part of our discussions moving forward on our uniform lineup for home, road, and alternate jerseys. We are in a bit of a holding pattern based on the transition from Adidas to Fanatics for the 2024-25 season, so the most likely scenario for any major uniform modifications would be for the 2025-26 season and beyond."

The quote is buried in the article announcing their uniform schedule release: https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-announce-2023-24-uniform-schedule

I wonder if they finally go back to the classics full-time in 2025.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

9 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Just saw this on hurricanes.com from a couple weeks ago. Apologies if it's already been discussed.

"In uniform planning, you typically have to map things out 18-24 months in advance based on design, retail, and other deadlines so we had to make a decision prior to even unveiling the anniversary red uniforms last year what we would be doing for this upcoming 2023-24 season. The consensus internally was to make those uniforms special for the 25th anniversary season and return to the current red uniforms in 2023-24 since they still instill strong brand equity and provide us time to evaluate what the future of our uniforms could and should look like," Forman continued. "We definitely took note of the extremely positive feedback from the anniversary uniforms last season and plan to have it as a big part of our discussions moving forward on our uniform lineup for home, road, and alternate jerseys. We are in a bit of a holding pattern based on the transition from Adidas to Fanatics for the 2024-25 season, so the most likely scenario for any major uniform modifications would be for the 2025-26 season and beyond."

Yeah, it only makes sense that this switch back to the current red jersey was planned even before the season because no one in their right mind would've made that decision after seeing the reaction and feedback to the throwback reds. I hope they get it right in 2025-26.

21 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Wow that is something I did not know. Honestly, that's even more bizarre than the piping and the hem stripeless jersey. What in the world was going on over at Reebok during that time?

The 2007 All Star Game was the debut of the Edge uniforms. You can see what they were hoping to do based on how the side panels matched up with the pants.

spacer.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ruttep said:

Yeah, it only makes sense that this switch back to the current red jersey was planned even before the season because no one in their right mind would've made that decision after seeing the reaction and feedback to the throwback reds. I hope they get it right in 2025-26.

I read it as the classic reds will definitely be back in 25. The only question seems to be whether it's as an alternate again or as the primary. And if the whites will join them.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)