2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

If the Skate is going to be worn in the playoffs, it likely means a switch to it full-time is on the horizon 😑.  They finally got their uniforms right when they removed the arched wordmark and now they want to ditch, or at least minimize, one of the league's best colour schemes for something that looked dated in 1994...  This team is never going to have a proper identity. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Yeah same here. I like the idea of the shark biting the stick logo more than the actual execution. The original was awesome for its time but looks really dated now. The current logo I’ve never liked. I saw it before it was released with @Cujo and @Puckguy14 and we were already calling it PikaShark. It just looks really goofy and not really like a shark. It looks square and kind of gives off a BTTFII hologram shark vibe. The updated logos they put out a few seasons ago were fine, but really generic and stale. Very strange that they crammed it into that logo set and even used it as a shoulder patch. It was painfully amateurish. 

The fin roundels have always been great, and I have no idea why they ever went away from that logo. I’m so glad they brought that back and are featuring it more prominently now. I hadn’t really thought about just bumping it to the primary logo status, but yeah I could get behind that. 

Oh man, i remember being behind the scenes when that SJ uni was about to drop.

But terming it Pinkashark? Noooooo. I don't recall -- but I believe!

6uXNWAo.png

On 1/17/2024 at 2:13 PM, Anubis2051 said:

Their Neon is by far their best look:

spacer.png

Neon green is my favorite color. However, even though I think these Dallas Stars unis are really cool for special occasions, I don't think this is their best look ever. Their current jerseys with victory green and traditional stripes are the team's top set in their uniform history. What they're using now is the best fit for the regular home and roads. The bright neon colors shouldn't be overdone, for NHL teams to preserve the more standard aesthetics. For alternates, then can do whatever they want!

IMO, their 2nd best look was the 99 green ASG inspired look.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Alright, I guess I'm in the minority, but what's with the hate? At least it's something different. 

Well, besides the fact it looks like a "Black Ice" fashion jersey with a gaudy colour taken from the team's Mascot, it just isn't a good fit for this kind of franchise.

No matter how much people wish the team never moved from Minnesota to Dallas (I'm one of those people for the record), the Stars are still essentially a second-six franchise with a rich history in Green, Black and Gold.  A history that includes a Stanley Cup Championship.  It is absolutely ridiculous that all of this history is swept under the rug in favor of an up-to-the-minute, trendy design with no historical precedent in the team's 57 years.

Am I saying that one of the designs below needs to come back stripe for stripe?  No.  But you could certainly look to any of these jerseys for inspiration and come up with something infinitely better than the Skyline Green sweater.

flfifAB.jpg
QNyhGJe.jpg

faidZZk.jpg

And speaking of the Skyline...  Their original black jersey did a far better job of representing how the Dallas skyline looks at night...  They can refer to that gaudy neon colour as "Skyline Green" all they want, I'm not buying it.

Ua5iG3g.jpg

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

And speaking of the Skyline...  Their original black jersey did a far better job of representing how the Dallas skyline looks at night...  They can refer to that gaudy neon colour as "Skyline Green" all they want, I'm not buying it.

Ua5iG3g.jpg

I don't know what's going on in your thought process, but neither did the original black jersey nor their current alts represent the Dallas skyline. You may as well just include the silhouette of said skyline if that's what the designers of the latter want to go for, rather than just taking their primaries, colour them black, and increase the brightness of neon green to 100%.

• LOL 1

18 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I also asked my rep about the Canucks jersey, there is a chance the black skate will be the jersey for the playoffs.

Disappointing, but not surprising. It seems like the loudest portion of the fanbase has been calling for this lately. Just look at the responses to this Luongo tweet:

The guy actually makes some great points, many of which have been made on these boards already, yet the response from Canucks fans seems to boil down to, "shut up boomer".

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, FCMacbeth said:

I don't know what's going on in your thought process, but neither did the original black jersey nor their current alts represent the Dallas skyline.

I don't know what was going on with my thought process either.  It's almost like I read the official press release from the team...

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-stars-unveil-blackout-alternate-jersey-319531914

The uniform features a bold new color in 'Skyline Green' inspired by one of the most iconic skylines in the world, Skyline Green is synonymous with the city of Dallas.

The Dallas skyline is iconic and introducing Skyline Green into our uniforms is a vibrant reminder our great city

9tjQRDM.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, riccirulesall said:

probably going to be something similar to the rangers new alt, but i would prefer if the gradient went from teal to white down the sleeves (from the elbow) rather than the normal striping split up into more lines

edit: or like this, great concept @Puckguy14

That makes up for all the hem stripes we lost in 2007. 🫡

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 6
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, riccirulesall said:

probably going to be something similar to the rangers new alt, but i would prefer if the gradient went from teal to white down the sleeves (from the elbow) rather than the normal striping split up into more lines

edit: or like this, great concept @Puckguy14

Much like the Rangers new third, the sleeve stripes represent "Madison Square Garden’s lights, streaking traffic, and the hustle of the city."

A ticket rep is not going to know what jersey the team might wear in the playoffs with half a season still left to play, so the doom and gloom over the return of the skate jersey is a little premature.

Any ways, here's Tampa Bay's Gasparilla jersey.  Kind of wish they used that logo for an alternate jersey.  Extra points for doing more than just slapping the logo on a practice jersey.

spacer.png

• Like 5

The released 1,904 jerseys (to represent the original year of Gasparilla in Tampa.  Per their explanation, they were able to do this release since they were not warmup jerseys (league no longer allows special warmup jerseys, or the sale of them to the public)

Im an Orca truther. Skate should be an occasional third Jersey at best. Canucks look the best they ever have right now (not counting the ads and removal of the pant stripes for some reason.) going back to a worse version of the skate would be disappointing

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

If the Skate is going to be worn in the playoffs, it likely means a switch to it full-time is on the horizon 😑.  They finally got their uniforms right when they removed the arched wordmark and now they want to ditch, or at least minimize, one of the league's best colour schemes for something that looked dated in 1994...  This team is never going to have a proper identity. 

I might just be done if they do that. I'm so sick of changing based on whatever direction the wind is blowing. Mickey Mouse operation for over 50 years. 

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Disappointing, but not surprising. It seems like the loudest portion of the fanbase has been calling for this lately. Just look at the responses to this Luongo tweet:

The guy actually makes some great points, many of which have been made on these boards already, yet the response from Canucks fans seems to boil down to, "shut up boomer".

The worst part is all the people clamouring for the skate are the same people who will be demanding something else 10 years down the road depending on whatever that flavour of the month is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

2013 but i get your point.

putting on some stripe weight for the long winter (rebuild)

I was referring to the entire Edge era of the NHL, not just San Jose's stripes.

• Like 1