2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

Their logo package is one of the best in sports and the uniforms are really nice, but both are held back a ton by their drab color scheme. I think a full-blown Mardi Gras look would be fun, but probably a bit too bright and obvious. I've always thought the Pelicans should shift to a plum and brassy gold color scheme with red accents, something that feels New Orleans-y without being too on the nose. Subtle tweaks to the colors would do a world of difference.

• Like 11

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Not sure, I think the logo is really nice as it is and the Fleur de Lys and wrought Iron style detail at the top of the logo looked good.

But you're talking about 2013-2023 logo and this logo is indeed good and even better than good. Now they switched to basically alternate logo with slapped text underneath. Utah Jazz made same mistake in last year

• Like 4

4r2eer.png

10 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

But you're talking about 2013-2023 logo and this logo is indeed good and even better than good. Now they switched to basically alternate logo with slapped text underneath. Utah Jazz made same mistake in last year

Utah was far, far worse. They blanded out their entire brand.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The Pelicans have revised their logo for next season.

breaking-new-orleans-pelicans-update-log

i figured something was up when the instagram page changed their profile picture to the (was) secondary logo and now primary logo. i just don’t get it though. absolutely no upside to this change. you lose the fleur de lis, you lose the wrought iron, you literally lose the name of the city (plus that unique font), you lose the pop of red. and overall you just lose that unique shape the original logo had. 

bad move. assuming that the two logos just switch spots now (please don’t tell me the new orleans logo is just gone) it just makes no sense that a secondary logo would be more intricate than a primary logo. i mean sure the new logo looks better in some situations like on a tshirt or sticker or something but its not like that logo didnt already exist before the change. thats what secondary logos are for. its there for teams to use. the only change this does is that the team will have to suddenly prioritize using this "new" logo more for no reason. if anything its a step backwards as they lose everything i listed above.

honestly as a pelicans fan who’s been paying close attention to the creative side of this team for years, i think this was just a change for change’s sake move as many things are nowadays. from the constant lackluster jerseys to the subpar marketing team, i think the team just did this for the heck of it. 

Edited by pelicanfan
  • Like 7

Since we’re never getting the toothpaste of Jazz/Pelicans/Mardi Gras/Purple back in the tube, I think the Pels’ earned uniforms were the right way to go for the brand. 

If done right a whole set based on these would go crazy. 

• Like 8

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

12 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The Blazers just unveiled their new G-League team’s  name and branding and it is incredible:

To paraphrase Snoop Dogg,

"Yeah, it's incredible... ly BAD"

• Like 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 5

It is what it is.

The NBA has historicall had primary logos that incorporate the name, mascot, and the basketball all in one. There has been a trend to shift away from this, first with a series of roundel logos (which still fit in to an extent) and now to logos where an icon is separate from the script. 

To me it feels weird. It makes sense from a modern marketing perspective but look at the blue chip franchises: Lakers, Celtics, Knicks. They all follow the traditional formula and are likely never going to change. So it seems like a waste to make this shift, especially knowing that many of these franchises will be rebranding a few years down the road again anyway.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

The NBA has historicall had primary logos that incorporate the name, mascot, and the basketball all in one. There has been a trend to shift away from this, first with a series of roundel logos (which still fit in to an extent) and now to logos where an icon is separate from the script. 

To me it feels weird. It makes sense from a modern marketing perspective but look at the blue chip franchises: Lakers, Celtics, Knicks. They all follow the traditional formula and are likely never going to change. So it seems like a waste to make this shift, especially knowing that many of these franchises will be rebranding a few years down the road again anyway.

I was just going to point this out. Several of the secondary logos have been promoted to primary status (Washington, Denver, etc.) and many will just have their "Global" logos as either the primary mark with a script underneath them (Portland) or just fit them into a roundel (again... Washington, Denver). At the end of the day, the primary mark is used more in media and merchandise.

I feel like the logo balance/consistency is worse in MLB, where some clubs have pretty detailed primary logos (Yankees, Dodgers, Giants), but then you have some that just simply use their cap logos (Pirates, Tigers, Padres). This in particular has always bothered me because when you put them all together, it looks off. Granted, you see the cap logos used more in capacity, so I guess you could argue they are the true primary marks.

• Like 4

In other (belated) G-League news, the Magic moved their affiliate from Lakeland to Kissimmee, becoming the Osceola Magic. G-League brands aren't the most important things, but I think they missed a good opportunity to update the logos, which are bland, even for an affiliate with the same name as its parent club. Nothing about the logo really says "Magic" aside from the somewhat-shared branding with their parent team. They also could've renamed altogether, but I don't think any of that was really important to the Magic, as the move was mostly just to cut down on travel time.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/orlando-magic-move-g-league-team-to-osceola-heritage-park

gICch3Y.png

• Like 8

Going on year 14 of the Rockets refusing to implement a unique number font. They’re still using the Pacers identity from 06-17, which they switched to when Adidas introduced rev30 fabric for the 2010-11 season. Find me a more subtle NBA uniform oddity.

spacer.png

bd426d349eac430babc00713088b92ed-bd426d3

• Like 5

6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Blazers just unveiled their new G-League team’s  name and branding and it is incredible:

I'm suddenly in the mood for vanilla cola or vanilla Dr. Pepper.