2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

This league has morphed into a circus. I don’t even know what to say about these courts. 

It’s pretty clear the league doesn’t give a bleep about branding or aesthetics at this point - they’re going to do what they want, as much as they want, when they want. I’m no longer surprised by the bulldozer of stupid this league has aesthetically become year in and year out.

The only thing that ever keeps me remotely interested in the NBA is my love for the Jazz, and that has far more to do with the Jazz being a cultural staple in Utah and a big part of my upbringing than anything to do with the league. That connection will always be there for me. Outside of the Jazz though, the NBA as a whole has been losing me more and more over time. Part of it is how overly dramatic the league and players often get (it’s veering towards Pro Wrestling), but a big part of it too is that the worsening aesthetics and branding across the league has been so irritating to watch. That’s just me and my preferences - power and kudos to anyone who genuinely enjoys what the league is doing - but I just don’t get this league anymore. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

15 hours ago, kimball said:

This is the DUMBEST reason for a design element I've heard in quite a while.

Between this comment, and the Oceans Eleven inspired 'Heist' ad that the league has been running, they really seem to be leaning on the finals in Vegas as a selling feature for this gimmicky tournament. What are they going to do once Nevada inevitably gets their own team and the novelty of the league being there isn't around?

20 hours ago, kimball said:

The stripe running down the center of the court is supposed to represent the airport runway in Las Vegas, which will host the semifinals and finals at T-Mobile Arena on Dec. 7 and 9.

This is the DUMBEST reason for a design element I've heard in quite a while.

The trash talking before tip off:

spacer.png

• LOL 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, the admiral said:

I think this is correct. 2012, the turning point at which more people had smartphones than didn't, was the beginning of a lot of weirdness beyond the NBA, but certainly including it.

eh, 2012 was still pretty normal. i think the beginning was 2014 when Silver took over. Stern would've never allowed so many ads because he actually cared about having a clean image and purity (e.g. dress code). or at least he would've fought harder unlike Silver who is a pushover. Plus Stern just has that "commissioner" and "boss" look while Silver looks like an alien. Stern would have banned Morant for a whole season at least.

2015 when they took the Finals decals off the courts was another bad change. Then another ugly change with the new Finals logos and wordmarks in 2018, along with Nike's weird *** trim on the back of the shoulders and toilet paper-durability. Plus iconic guys like Kobe, Wade, Dirk, Tim, KG all retiring while all these new stars change teams every 2 years certainly doesn't help a team's identity either.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, Lights Out said:

Stern was once quoted as saying that his dream Finals matchup was Lakers vs. Lakers. He would have personally traded all those local teams' stars to the Lakers if he could have.

why did he veto the CP3 trade then? doesn't add up

16 minutes ago, currymvp2024 said:

why did he veto the CP3 trade then? doesn't add up

He was acting as the owner of a financially-distressed franchise at the time and understood that the #1 pick made it more attractive to potential buyers than a treadmill team with Pau. Very different situation than what he normally would have loved to see as commissioner.

Even then, the trade that actually happened still involved a star being traded from a smaller market to a larger market.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Between this comment, and the Oceans Eleven inspired 'Heist' ad that the league has been running, they really seem to be leaning on the finals in Vegas as a selling feature for this gimmicky tournament. What are they going to do once Nevada inevitably gets their own team and the novelty of the league being there isn't around?

Clearly their logo, jerseys, court  and identity will revolve around the runway. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

What the :censored: does this have to do with anything?

that he neither acts nor looks like a commissioner. For example when presenting the Finals MVP his mannerisms and speech seem so awkward since he'll have some random pauses and stutters, like he's trying to remember his next line. when we're talking about how the league's overall presentation and vibes have become weirder and changed for the worse like @ the admiral said, i feel like that's definitely relevant.

9 hours ago, Lights Out said:

He was acting as the owner of a financially-distressed franchise at the time and understood that the #1 pick made it more attractive to potential buyers than a treadmill team with Pau. Very different situation than what he normally would have loved to see as commissioner.

Even then, the trade that actually happened still involved a star being traded from a smaller market to a larger market.

The #1 pick was not part of the trade and the hornets didn’t even have the best odds. or are you referring to the conspiracy?

and would making the Hornets more attractive really be more profitable than potentially 2-3 straight Lakers/Heatles finals?

• Huh? 1

On 2023-10-30 at 12:20 PM, Digby said:

I suspect the CGI ads have been jettisoned. Celtics have a beige-ish City jersey this year, and I don't think I've seen those ads present on national broadcasts so far this year. Of course, there are more IRL ads on the court instead, which I guess was the inevitable monkey's paw solution.

I take this back -- maybe I had only watched, or noticed, with ABC/ESPN games to start. But currently watching Spurs v Suns on TNT and they've got the CGI ads. Could be though that either the tech is better at mapping it this year, or we'll find out the league and partners are happy to pass on that revenue this year in the service of this silly "IST" brand.

What are you guys crying about this time? At the end of the day its literally its just basketball jerseys lol. You will still have your standard traditional home and away uniforms, yes there are more alternate jerseys and alternate courts (the NBA is a capitalist business they need fresh jerseys to SELL) its not the end of the world if if you don't like a teams 4th or 5th jersey. One dude up there is complaining not only about the jerseys but also about the players and how they are acting like pro wrestlers? Um ok. Go take a walk outside and touch the grass my guy some of you guys are overly angry for no reason. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Huh? 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 4