2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

More "football weather."

Bengals and Chargers laugh at your measly -30 windchill. Compared to the Freezer Bowl at -59 windchill, -30 is a heatwave.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 minute ago, Dilbert said:

Bengals and Chargers laugh at your measly -30 windchill. Compared to the Freezer Bowl at -59 windchill, -30 is a heatwave.

Find me someone who can go outside and be able to tell the difference between -30 and -59. 😎

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I'm well aware you were being sarcastic, hence why I said "But unironically" in the very next sentence.

You kids and your use of unironically. I'm never sure which part is supposed to be ironic when someone says that.

Maybe Generation Jones* has a different definition of irony or something,

*h/t @SFGiants58 for putting a name to the in between Boomers and X  generation I'm a part of.

BB52Big.jpg

Alright, I'll get off your lawn. I'm just of the opinion that hazards make a more memorable game which makes better TV. I'm a bit of a psychopath, sue me. If it actually gets to a point where it would kill someone with the physical fitness of an NFL player, the game shouldn't be played. Like lightning. I played football. Bad weather games were what I would kill for. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Find me someone who can go outside and be able to tell the difference between -30 and -59. 😎

Really the only difference is how quickly frostbite or death can happen. You're not really gonna be able to tell the difference. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Alright, I'll get off your lawn. I'm just of the opinion that hazards make a more memorable game which makes better TV. I'm a bit of a psychopath, sue me. If it actually gets to a point where it would kill someone with the physical fitness of an NFL player, the game shouldn't be played. Like lightning. I played football. Bad weather games were what I would kill for. 

I can assure you that my opinion on this has nothing to do with my age. I felt the same way when the '81 AFC title game was played in weather with a -59 degree wind chill.

Snow is a hazard. Rain and mud are hazards. Playing football in "don't expose your skin and be sure to bring your animals inside so they don't freeze to death" weather is insanity. These tough guy football players are going to roll out there without sleeves because they don't want to look weak. Or they're idiots. Or both. It might be memorable, but it won't be good football.

This isn't just "bad weather." This is dangerous to the teams and the fans and the NFL should know better.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

The Freezer Bowl was played before the 2001 wind chill recalculation, the same conditions would be -32 today. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20140104111820/http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grb&storyid=99351&source=0

Oh, well that's different. -32 is much warmer than -59. I stand corrected. By the way, at -32, we're only  -8 degrees away from the temperature being the same in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

AJ Brown officially OUT for the Ass Birds vs Bucs game on Monday due to his jacked up knee, and possibly done with the team altogether.  Speculation is that he's fed up with the poor coaching (which has been pretty obvious for the second half of the year) and even snapped at his real-life BFF (and godfather of his kid) Hurts a few times this season.  Things can fall apart fast.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

The Freezer Bowl was played before the 2001 wind chill recalculation, the same conditions would be -32 today. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20140104111820/http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grb&storyid=99351&source=0

So what you're saying is we're going to essentially see another Freezer Bowl tonight. Got it.

Wonder what tonight's super cold game nickname will be.

3 minutes ago, ruttep said:

So what you're saying is we're going to essentially see another Freezer Bowl tonight. Got it.

Wonder what tonight's super cold game nickname will be.

Hoth in the Heartland? 

The Glacier in the Great Plains?

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, BBTV said:

AJ Brown officially OUT for the Ass Birds vs Bucs game on Monday due to his jacked up knee, and possibly done with the team altogether.  Speculation is that he's fed up with the poor coaching (which has been pretty obvious for the second half of the year) and even snapped at his real-life BFF (and godfather of his kid) Hurts a few times this season.  Things can fall apart fast.

You were right about this season after all. Credit to you.

These guys are rolling over.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The "pussification of America" stuff is really overboard with this. There's cold and there's cold. They've never played when there's lightning, either.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The "pussification of America" stuff is really overboard with this.

MOD REDACTED by me.

Suffice it to say that a Twitter user was none too happy with Governor Hochul's decision to move the Steelers - Bills game to Monday.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The "pussification of America" stuff is really overboard with this. There's cold and there's cold. They've never played when there's lightning, either.

Those pieces of 💩 have never had to work outside for 9 hours in those elements while being either elderly or having some other reason why that's dangerous (like, for example, simply being human).  Oh, and needed that job, so can't call out.

They also want people to risk themselves to shovel just so they can sit their fat asses down and be entertained in their warm homes.

It's as if the players are just machines that aren't subject to the same human needs that they are.

Screw'em.

EDIT:

"Communist whore" has me cracking up for some reason.  Maybe it's the irony, or maybe it's just a funny sounding phrase.  If postponing the game gets us more of those phrases that are going in my back pocket, then it's an even better decision.

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

MOD REDACTED by me.

Suffice it to say that a Twitter user was none too happy with Governor Hochul's decision to move the Steelers - Bills game to Monday.

Completely unrelated to the fact that it's a woman, I'm sure.

I wish I predicted this earlier to sound smart, but I really don't see how they were still pretending the game was going to be played on Sunday at 1 as recently as this morning. The stadium is going to have a minimum of a foot of snow dumped on it overnight. So you're going to clear out the stands in like four hours to get fans in and players warming up? No chance. 

And what are these people mad about? We're trading a game where there would have been <5 passes thrown for one that should be pretty normal. Even if the snow ended up missing the stadium, the game would have been played in 50+ MPH winds.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BBTV said:

"Communist whore" has me cracking up for some reason.  Maybe it's the irony, or maybe it's just a funny sounding phrase.  If postponing the game gets us more of those phrases that are going in my back pocket, then it's an even better decision.

I think Communist Whores used to open for X-Ray Spex.

Yeah, this just wasn't gonna work for players, support staff, or even spectators. There's a lot of daylight between "adverse weather" and "deadly weather." Players can and should play in adverse weather, but what's coming is worse than that. I just bought like a week's worth of groceries. I'm settling in for a long siege.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fortunately it's a holiday for many people, but probably it'll be more difficult for some fans and game-day staff to attend/work.  Better than the alternative, but it could be a weird atmosphere for a playoff game.

I also hate the very notion of Monday playoff games simply due to the competitive disadvantage it puts the winning team in, but that ship has sailed (and in a case like this, I don't know of an alternative.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think Communist Whores used to open for X-Ray Spex.

I think Communist_Whore is going to be my new forum name.