MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, M59 said:

Agreed. When I see the fleur-de-lis, I think of New Orleans...or France. St. Louis, MO doesn't immediately leap to mind.

Its on the flag of St. Louis, so its not like they forced something that didn't need to be there. 

1200px-Flag_of_St._Louis,_Missouri.svg.p

• Like 10

1 hour ago, M59 said:

Agreed. When I see the fleur-de-lis, I think of New Orleans...or France. St. Louis, MO doesn't immediately leap to mind.

St. Louis definitely has a pretty deep connection with the fleur-de-lis. Much like New Orleans, it was a French territory. The Fleur de lis is all over the place in the city TBH. St. Louis  has one of the best Mardi Gras celebrations outside of New Orleans as well. The French history in the city runs pretty deep. 

• Like 3

All things considered its not the worst thing in the world. Very middle of the pack. Was almost expecting all red, but at least the white pants break it up to look like a normal alternate. 

Say, have any of these  2024  city connect promo videos shown the back of the players jersey? 🤔

Think we need to remember how lame and tiny the letters for the player names are on these new Nike $400  jerseys.

Probably to embarrassed to show them in these videos whose sole purpose is to sell  items and make a profit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

That would be the perfect way to do it. The White Sox did it with theirs, I think it would be a great way to keep a traditional look (I.e. pinstripes) with a more modern outlook, and keep it in the Yankee's ballpark. Even do a hat with a Navy "NY" logo outlined in white and boom. There it is.

Because some other team did something is not a good reason for another team to do it, especially one with a storied history and infrequently changing uniform. This same suggestion was made in the NFL thread that because the Carolina Panthers had done something, the Green Bay Packers should as well. Nope.

• LOL 1

It's where I sit.

Two things.  Firstly, the St. Louis cream is back!

Boston Red Sox v St. Louis Cardinals

And it was in seeing this that I realized the Cards have a memorial patch!  I was confused, at first thinking that a player was wearing one of the Musial ones from last year and shamefully ditched for the ad patch.  But in tracing the number I realized it's a Whitey Herzog patch.  Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.  I do wonder how this affects the City Connect, as they seem loathe to put the ad patch and a memorial patch on the same sleeve.  Will they replace the Fleur and Arch patch?

Also, quite frustratingly, another '24 City Connect to leave the socks out of it.  Except for Cleveland, it seems they've been leaving that part out of all the reveals.

Secondly, the Cleveland City Connect is confounding me a bit.  At first, I thought that the pants were cream in the reveal.  It's subtle, but the seams seem a clear cream.  But then there are other shots where they seem clearly straight white, so it seemed it was a trick of the lighting.  The lettering, front panel, and pants all look different colors according to different color lighting.  The detail shots look white.  The article about it on the mothership says the front panel of the cap is "sandstone".

Meanwhile, their first time wearing them was during the afternoon.  In every shot, these features are mostly in shadow, and the coloring can be easily seen as reflecting the bright light off of the dirt.  

Minnesota Twins v Cleveland Guardians

But what is shown in the light above the waist and far from the dirt looks pretty bright white for the most part.

I'm completely lost.  Features look deep cream or fluorescent white depending on the lighting.  I can't tell.  And if the lettering does have a sandstone element, I'm unsure if it's the detail atop white lettering, or if the lettering itself is also sandy.

EDIT: Let me just add the additional wrinkle that the stripes look white under almost every magnification and and lighting.  If the pants are cream, are the stripes as well, or are they white on sand?

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Two things.  Firstly, the St. Louis cream is back!

Boston Red Sox v St. Louis Cardinals

And it was in seeing this that I realized the Cards have a memorial patch!  I was confused, at first thinking that a player was wearing one of the Musial ones from last year and shamefully ditched for the ad patch.  But in tracing the number I realized it's a Whitey Herzog patch.  Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.  I do wonder how this affects the City Connect, as they seem loathe to put the ad patch and a memorial patch on the same sleeve.  Will they replace the Fleur and Arch patch?

Also, quite frustratingly, another '24 City Connect to leave the socks out of it.  Except for Cleveland, it seems they've been leaving that part out of all the reveals.

Secondly, the Cleveland City Connect is confounding me a bit.  At first, I thought that the pants were cream in the reveal.  It's subtle, but the seams seem a clear cream.  But then there are other shots where they seem clearly straight white, so it seemed it was a trick of the lighting.  The lettering, front panel, and pants all look different colors according to different color lighting.  The detail shots look white.  The article about it on the mothership says the front panel of the cap is "sandstone".

Meanwhile, their first time wearing them was during the afternoon.  In every shot, these features are mostly in shadow, and the coloring can be easily seen as reflecting the bright light off of the dirt.  

But what is shown in the light above the waist and far from the dirt looks pretty bright white for the most part.

I'm completely lost.  Features look deep cream or fluorescent white depending on the lighting.  I can't tell.  And if the lettering does have a sandstone element, I'm unsure if it's the detail atop white lettering, or if the lettering itself is also sandy.

I watched the game on Friday and the pants and cap front panel were definitely off-white. 

30 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Definitely off-white.  White pants would be pretty stark white in the same setting and would be much closer to the white jerseys the fans are wearing. The field doesn't reflect that much on polyester.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm a bit surprised people don't like the Cardinals CC hat a bit more. Yes, the sleeve patch would have looked great, but the STL that they went with reminds me a lot of the St. Louis Stars Negro League hat. I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't even try to ty that connection into the hat.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Definitely off-white.  White pants would be pretty stark white in the same setting and would be much closer to the white jerseys the fans are wearing. The field doesn't reflect that much on polyester.

That orange glow...  I wasn't sure if it was tainting my perception or not.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I watched the game on Friday and the pants and cap front panel were definitely off-white. 

I will take your word for it.  It seems to be a subtle shade.  I didn't look to the highlights because I knew it wouldn't be too high quality compared to the Getty shots.  It's stuff like this look at them in the full sun of the outfield that boggles my mind.

6EvZk7Q.png

But, I defer to outside eyes, especially ones who watched for hours at full HD.

4 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I'm a bit surprised people don't like the Cardinals CC hat a bit more. Yes, the sleeve patch would have looked great, but the STL that they went with reminds me a lot of the St. Louis Stars Negro League hat. I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't even try to ty that connection into the hat.

There was a lot of talk just recently about three-letter initials.  I expected if they were separated at all, the relative size and format of the letters would be modeled after this:

1261_st_louis_cardinals-cap-1939.png

Or just a throwback version of the current insignia.  Either way, I did talk myself into hoping for a dark cap.  What did come seems to be the least imaginative option, but it's inoffensive.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wait a minute...

2 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

6EvZk7Q.png

Marathon can darken its logo's blue for the City Connects but can't be bothered to change it from the default royal shade for the regulars? How does that make any sense whatsoever? 

• Like 1

There's an interview with Bill DeWitt out there somewhere (I already forgot where I read it, might have been ESPN.com) where he said the Cardinals almost opted out of the City Connect program altogether and that he pretty much mandated that the Birds on the Bat be on the jersey.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I hate the CC program altogether, but if the Cardinals were going to participate, I’d rather these boring ones than some god-awful design that make my eyes want to puke like some of the others.  Again, I don’t love them, but it’s better than I was afraid of.

• Like 8

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That orange glow...  I wasn't sure if it was tainting my perception or not.

I will take your word for it.  It seems to be a subtle shade.  I didn't look to the highlights because I knew it wouldn't be too high quality compared to the Getty shots.  It's stuff like this look at them in the full sun of the outfield that boggles my mind.

6EvZk7Q.png

But, I defer to outside eyes, especially ones who watched for hours at full HD.

I was at the game yesterday. Saw way too much city connect merch at the store and these in action, they're off-white.

• Like 2