2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

19 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

not sure why, but this feels like Dallas' cup to lose. them being by far the least interesting potential winner might have something to do with it.

The Stars have been the most quietly good team for the last five years, including 2019 when they were a goal away from eliminating eventual cup champ St. Louis. I just can't ever be arsed to have an opinion about them. Jamie Benn is an airhead and Tyler Seguin is...also an airhead. Who's their best defenseman? A no-nonsense Fin. Snooze. 

I'll be pulling for the Oilers. The Stars have had a :censored: of a first two rounds and eventually it'll catch up to them. 

In the Former Blue Jackets Bowl I'll probably find myself pulling for the Rangers, but I really have nothing against the Panthers. With all of the Penguins, Red Wings, Bruins, Hurricanes, Lightning, Blackhawks, Kings, or Golden Knights it'll be a relatively stress free conference finals from this hockey fan and that almost never happens when you hate too many teams like I do. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, Sport said:

The Stars have been the most quietly good team for the last five years, including 2019 when they were a goal away from eliminating eventual cup champ St. Louis. I just can't ever be arsed to have an opinion about them. Jamie Benn is an airhead and Tyler Seguin is...also an airhead. Who's their best defenseman? A no-nonsense Fin. Snooze. 

The Stars are loaded with veterans who have never won before, which is always a great story. I'd love to see Benn, Pavelski, Duchene, Suter all lift the Cup for the first time. Plus you have Pete DeBoer who has an 86-69 record in the playoffs, has been to multiple Cup Finals, and still hasn't won. 

If Miro Heiskanen played in a bigger/more northern market I think he'd be in the conversation with Makar, Hughes, and Fox for the best young defenseman in the game.

Gotta root for the Oilers. McDavid finally winning the Cup nine years in would confer some always-welcome legitimacy on the proceedings here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

- Death

- Taxes

- The Stars losing Game 1 of a playoff series in overtime (this is the fifth time this has happened in the last two years)

How do you not score on a four minute powerplay in overtime?

On 5/22/2024 at 1:51 PM, spartacat_12 said:

The Stars are loaded with veterans who have never won before, which is always a great story. I'd love to see Benn, Pavelski, Duchene, Suter all lift the Cup for the first time. Plus you have Pete DeBoer who has an 86-69 record in the playoffs, has been to multiple Cup Finals, and still hasn't won. 

If those veterans weren't also some of the least likable players in the league, you'd have a point. 

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

9 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

If those veterans weren't also some of the least likable players in the league, you'd have a point. 

Benn and Duchene I get, what's so unlikable about Pavelski?

1-0 Rangers. They'll be up 3-1 if they win tonight.

If the Oilers don't make the comeback, a NYR/Dallas Cup Final would be beautiful, in terms of uniforms.

• Like 1

Sorry again if this isn't allowed since it's the NHL thread, but making a new thread for the PWHL didn't make sense just for a season recap.

PWHL season recap part 1: M:censored:s vs Minnewegians 

Minnesota (8-4-3-9): went into the season with the most talent. With the first ever pick in league history, they selected the 2022 US international team points leader (and my future wife  ) Taylor Heise. Add in Kendall Coyne and Michaela Cava and you have a solid team. This showed when they started the season strong, but eventually the coaching fell through and Minnesota almost missed the playoffs. After reverse sweeping Toronto in the first round, Minnesota took home the Walter Cup after a close 5 games with Boston. Taylor Heise took home playoff MVP. 

Boston (8-4-3-9): after an abyssmal start, Boston roared into the playoffs and all the way to the finals. US hockey legend (and lesbian icon) Hillary Knight and Alina Müller provided a solid offense, while goalie Aerin Frankel had a good habit of completely shutting out talented opposing offenses (like in game 4 of the finals). After dispatching Montréal, they lost a hard fought series against Minnesota.   

• Like 2

I still can’t believe the disallowed goal after everyone on Minnesota’s team got to celebrate like they won the whole thing… Thank goodness the loss didn’t eliminate them, because that felt like the most Minnesota sports thing ever. 

Happy that they brought home the title! Definitely neat to see women’s hockey succeed, and for me especially Minnesota women’s hockey. 

While watching the final as well, apparently the names and logos will be unveiled come August, so fingers crossed that they’re better than the leaked names. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I don't blame the Panthers for not being overly excited to be in the Cup Finals. They have a tough battle ahead, if they want to avoid losing for 2 straight years.

Lol Barkov wants nothing to do with the Prince of Wales Trophy. Was funny to see players avoid it, during the obligatory team photo.

That sound you hear are SCF ratings plummeting into the Earth's core.

Nobody, NOBODY, cares about the Florida Panthers.

5 straight years the East champ has come from the state that has turned hockey from a cold weather sport into a joke.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Unocal said:

5 straight years the East champ has come from the state that has turned hockey from a cold weather sport into a joke.

Is that the sound of coping I hear?

• LOL 3

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Is that the sound of coping I hear?

It's the sound of a sport I once revered now dying, turning into a sunbelt joke.

Sunrise Florida is the worst hockey city in America (now that the Arizona hockey experiment is finally over)

Panthers 'fans' didn't exist until last year. When FLA goes back into the basement, they'll be putting on Penguins jerseys.

• LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Let me guess, you think bum:censored: Canadian towns with 5,000 people in them are somehow more worthy of NHL teams.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What is there to like about Florida?

Paul Maurice, the mediocre retread coach?

Tkachuk, the snake who weaseled his way out of Calgary like a coward?

Tarasenko the mercenary trying to pull a Hossa?

The worst uniforms in hockey?

Bobrovsky selling his soul to apparently no longer became the worst playoff goalie in recent history?

The Florida Panthers represent everything WRONG about hockey. Sunrise does not deserve a team, let alone a Stanley Cup.

A Stanley Cup parade in Sunrise would literally be all bandwagoners and phonies who think hockey was invented in 2023.

Hockey has jumped the shark recently with this sunbelt crap. Gary Bettman has poisoned a sport and turned it into a warm weather casual fan joke.

Toronto fans have been waited for decades just to have a shot at a Cup. Panthers 'fans' have gotten two in a row even though they don't know the meaning of long-suffering.

Florida is a team only a bandwagoner could love. They are everything that Gary Bettman loves and real fans hare.

• LOL 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 4