2024 NFL Changes

8 minutes ago, ruttep said:

That looks wayyy too traditional to fit with their main brand. I bet that's just a limited edition jersey that's going on sale soon.

We'll know soon enough. When I pictured the Rams getting another jersey, a yellow base is what I had in mind. I was thinking with the current blue for an alternate, but this could be a good throwback to the original LA Rams jersey.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m surprised the Jets are in fact just straight-up going back to the Legacy uniforms, & a bit underwhelmed. Honestly, I think this outgoing set was a bit over-hated:

Much more 2017 Lions or 2023 Cardinals than 2014 Bucs or 2015 Browns. The shoehorning in of black onto the green & white jerseys was a bit unnecessary, as was the black helmet. Otherwise, it’s a fine modernization of the Jets’ look to me, even if the helmet logo is a bit boring. I didn’t even mind the black uniform on its own for a couple games a year, as long as it was paired with the green helmet with the gorgeous finish. 

This is probably just me, but I think the Sack Exchange uniforms are at most a lateral move below the helmet. As I’ve stated before, if they were going to simply revert to a throwback look, the Namath-era set with the brighter green would be much more iconic and unique.

As much as I used to be a Nike homer & still generally prefer them over other companies, this is a really bad look for them. Pretty much every uniform change they made in the 2010’s decade has already reverted or is about to revert to a more classic style, save for the Seahawks and Vikings. Even relatively conservative designs like these Jets and the Lions are getting changed. I wonder if it has to do with the teams seeing fan perception or just wanting to change for the sake of change.

Can't agree with you on these being over-hated.  The shard design was sh!t.  Only thing that worked was the helmet paint and the number font, so I'm glad these are going in the trash bin.

I do agree that Nike has to be taking a long look in the mirror after all of these rejections.  So does the league, who I believe has ultimate approval.  

I also think we're seeing a trend that's linked a little bit to society and a desire to return to some traditional norms.  You have to ask, if we're moving in such a fast-forward manner with technology and "progressive" values, why is nostalgia so effective?  People see these throwback or classic uniforms and it takes them back to a simpler, and for many, better time.   In a world where nothing seems normal anymore, I think people innately find comfort going back to something that is standard and not overly complex or new.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ruttep said:

That looks wayyy too traditional to fit with their main brand. I bet that's just a limited edition jersey that's going on sale soon.

I tend to agree here - the jocktag has no signs of Nike; the league year doesn't turn over until mid-March so it's highly unusual for new jerseys to be unveiled before then. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Not sure who the guys are behind ProLine Mockups but they're doing the Lord's work:

GGKGj1_acAA7XtW?format=jpg&name=large

GGKGrSQbQAAV0cC?format=jpg&name=large

GGKGkpLagAAGUcu?format=jpg&name=large

I still prefer Green/White/Solid Green socks and White/White/Solid Green socks.

I agree with you. Normally I like sock stripes, but such a simple look is just fine with solid-color socks. Provided that color isn’t all the colors combined (white) or no color at all (black). 

43 minutes ago, ruttep said:

To me it looks an awful lot like their Color Rush jersey. Maybe brining that back in some form? Or, yeah, just some commemorative something or other. Of course, that design was based on a combination of the ‘50s look and the ‘80s/‘90s look. So this could be commemorating whatever, pretty much. 

(Jets) I presume this is unpopular, but I didn't at all mind the "wedge" jerseys.  To me that was a unique element that wasn't too over the top.  If that set deleted all black it'd be very good, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Looks like a Kenny Washington tribute. Likely timed with black history month.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/02/14/coliseum-los-angeles-integration-national-football-league-nfl/77788824/

Kind of a weird thing to be a merch drop although they do quite a few capsule collections. It'd be a nice move to announce a throwback in this manner. Fingers crossed.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Cujo said:

HOLY JEEBUS IT'S FINALLY HAPPENINGGGG

55e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Honestly, this is probably the most "vivid and unique" design of the "template era."

So, I'm about to tangent off into some analytical design thought, but:

While I understand the NFL's initial rationale that they wanted to create a "strong, consistent brand" for the Super Bowl, I think that philosophy was misguided, as is evident by their efforts to gradually add more "local flavor" to the logos.

I've always thought that the Roman numerals were the strongest element of the Super Bowl brand — moreso than the Lombardi trophy or the name "Super Bowl" itself. They own the use of Roman numerals in sports. Hell, the Super Bowl is probably the only reason why a lot of people even know how to read/interpret Roman numerals.

The logos of yore always did something super creative that made the Roman numerals the focal point. That's what made it work, and that's what made the past decade's worth of logos super bland.

If the NFL wants to maintain a "cohesive brand" for the Super Bowl, then I propose this: keep the "Super Bowl" bar-text and even the image of the trophy, but allow each Super Bowl to do whatever they want with the Roman numerals and other elements surrounding the logo, so long as they incorporate that bar-text and trophy image within specified parameters.

That way, you achieve the happy medium of "consistent brand" with "unique for each event" — not unlike the unique branding of each Olympics (which, the Olympic rings were cited as a reason for creating the templated Super Bowl logo in the first place).

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

tumblr_n8oeljBKGp1snpc3lo5_500.gif

Hide contents

But still better than the SB45-55 templates

Naw. Not barfworthy at all.

Also…you’re a smart guy under all the snark. I wish you would give us fewer memes and reaction GIFs, and more of your actual thoughts and analysis. You can do better. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 2

It might be an unpopular opinion but ever since the LA Super Bowl I've thoroughly enjoyed the templated super bowl logos. I think I even prefer them to everyone designing their own individual logo. I think a lot of the rhetoric around the old logos is rooted in nostalgia.  In the first 20 super bowls I'd say there were about 4-5 unique logos. A ton of them also were just generic red white, and blue outside of the logos involving the roses from Pasadena super bowls. I think it is important to acknowledge as well outside of the Scott Norwood super bowl these didn't appear on jersey patches until Elway vs the Packers so I think there were different design influences. Do the logos below show any flare or personality of either New Orleans or San Diego? The one gripe I do have with the current system is that it is a bit corporate but I've gotten passed that.

spacer.png
spacer.png.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Do the logos below show any flare or personality of either New Orleans or San Diego? .

Yes, swirly banner makes me think of New Orleans. 

And the San Diego one reminds me of a nautical flag.

• Like 1

iq5b7nF.png

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

It might be an unpopular opinion but ever since the LA Super Bowl I've thoroughly enjoyed the templated super bowl logos. I think I even prefer them to everyone designing their own individual logo. I think a lot of the rhetoric around the old logos is rooted in nostalgia.  In the first 20 super bowls I'd say there were about 4-5 unique logos. A ton of them also were just generic red white, and blue outside of the logos involving the roses from Pasadena super bowls. I think it is important to acknowledge as well outside of the Scott Norwood super bowl these didn't appear on jersey patches until Elway vs the Packers so I think there were different design influences. Do the logos below show any flare or personality of either New Orleans or San Diego? The one gripe I do have with the current system is that it is a bit corporate but I've gotten passed that.

spacer.png
spacer.png.

I preferred each game having it's own specific logo. If the NFL copied how the NCAA does March Madness, with a couple required elements but allowing each city to have it's own game specific look could make for some solid looks. 

999c92483268d0bdcb9419d90da8fd3b.jpg?res

2024_MFF_Logo_Color.pngaHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dvdXRzYS1wcm9kLzIwMjMvMDgvMDEvdFl1ejUxeWtiSlN3MkNHQ1VjMTUyZGhxcjA4ZFFCa2QwYm1RRkhVOS5qcGc.jpg

2023-Mens-Final-Four-750x790.png

• Like 11
  • Dislike 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

HOLY JEEBUS IT'S FINALLY HAPPENINGGGG

MGJi7Rd.jpg

And Gothamite nowhere to be seen.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I’m surprised the Jets are in fact just straight-up going back to the Legacy uniforms, & a bit underwhelmed. Honestly, I think this outgoing set was a bit over-hated:

Much more 2017 Lions or 2023 Cardinals than 2014 Bucs or 2015 Browns. The shoehorning in of black onto the green & white jerseys was a bit unnecessary, as was the black helmet. Otherwise, it’s a fine modernization of the Jets’ look to me, even if the helmet logo is a bit boring. I didn’t even mind the black uniform on its own for a couple games a year, as long as it was paired with the green helmet with the gorgeous finish. 

I agree.  I thought the current unis  were tastefully done, modernizing  the look without all the usual Nike OTT junk.  It was a vast improvement over the Namath era unis, which were ruined IMHO by a horribly drab green and shoulder stripes that, while they looked great in the 60s, did NOT transition well at all onto the current template.  I think the current uniforms address a host of issues and make them unique while still being simple.  I love the current helmet finish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I think a lot of the rhetoric around the old logos is rooted in nostalgia.

The real golden age of Super Bowl logos was around 1993-2006. All the ones before and after that were generic except for XXI's.

Looking back, the last four logos before they went standardized were already so generic, they could have been used in any host city. It almost feels like they were getting people used to the idea first before they adopted the template.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12